Suggestion for AR Optics

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I'm no expert on red dots, but I did buy one of these out of desperation one day. Whatever you do decide, do not buy this! Unless you need it as an underwater decoration for your fish tank.

You see! It is garbage! ;)

NORSEWOLF

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    I Input a 2.5 x 10 x 44 Vortex Viper 30 mm tube with a PEPR MOUNT on my 300Blk AR and was on paper at 100 yards without Bore sighting! Very clear and Awesome at dusk. 2.5 give very wide field of vision and 10 power is plenty of zoom.
    I liked it so much that I ordered one for my 1022 roger!

Norsewolf

DixieXD

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Northshore
    Ive got my eye on a Sig 3X CP1 at Academy for <$200. Red/green illuminated w/ a nearly useless drop compensator. Looks May be deceiving, but the price is OK.

PS: that BSA in the aquarium would look really cool!

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I Input a 2.5 x 10 x 44 Vortex Viper 30 mm tube with a PEPR MOUNT on my 300Blk AR and was on paper at 100 yards without Bore sighting! Very clear and Awesome at dusk. 2.5 give very wide field of vision and 10 power is plenty of zoom.
    I liked it so much that I ordered one for my 1022 roger!

Norsewolf

That sounds like a killer deal b/c the only vortex viper's I see in 30mm in that magnification was the viper PST and it retails over 700 bucks.... Is you're illuminated? I Was thinking about picking up a 1-4x vortex eventually.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Given the budget of the options listed I'd go with the Vortex Strikefire or Burris MTAC (may be a bit over budget). Sig optics are cheap chinese junk, and I doubt you'll find a Vortex Viper in that price range.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm not crazy about the button placement on the Vortex stuff, as I find it has a tendency to turn itself off when strapped across your chest, or turn itself on in your bag and run the battery dry. I also had a Sparc spazz out on me during a class, presumably because of recoil from a 16" 5.56 rifle.

I completely understand budget concerns, but I can't stress enough the "buy once, cry once" principle. Unfortunately, most folks spend a bunch of money on their rifle and have only a little left for the optic, which is a shame because of how important it is. I've been guilty of this too.

I like variable optics that allow you to switch from 1x up to 4x or 6x. If that's a no-go and your budget is just crunched, I've seen some interesting torture tests on the Holosun units, which are pretty much Aimpoint Micro knock-offs, but apparently decent ones. I've also seen accomplished shooters put the Bushnell TRS-25 ($75) through the ringer and come out ok with it. Still my ultimate advice would be to hold off, save some extra cash and go with an Eotech if you must have a 1x red dot, or move into Meopta, Kahles or Vortex for variable scopes. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/663/category/178/

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/sights-optics/vortex-sparc-red-dot-optic.html

I have both the SPARC and the strikefire and have had absolutely no issues with either. I bought them both from PSA last year for a great price on each. The strikefire was $90 and free shipping and the SPARC was $139 at the time. As for the "accidental" turn on people have mentioned, I don't see how that can happen. It takes the smallest part of your fingertip to activate the push button. I've transported both ARs that have them in either pelican 1700 cases or Plano tactical cases and they get crunched in there tight. Never had it happen. Makes me wonder if the ones mentioned never got turned off and were later found on or dead.
    I've been looking at another dot in your price range but haven't committed yet. Made by Lucid. The HD7 looks pretty decent

http://mylucidgear.com/reddotsights.php

Here's one for less than $180 shipped

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004B...SY200_QL40&dpPl=1&dpID=41y14XoOFDL&ref=plSrch

The vortex dots both come with more than ample hardware and the SPARC gives the option for lower third cowitness of your sights or absolute cowitness. They both come with 2x screw on magnifiers that actually work and the strikefire has flip open covers.
    The lucid has lower 1/3 cowitness capability and has optional (sold seperately) magnifier and covers.

Good luck!

NORSEWOLF

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Power2.5-10
    Objective Diameter (mm)44
    Length (in.)12
    Weight (oz.)16.5
    Eye Relief (in.)4
    FinishMatte
    ReticleV-Plex
    FOV @ 100 yds. (ft.)47-10.9
    Tube Diameter30mm
    In Stock
    $539.99 Sale! $299.99

jstokes1

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    Houma
    Recently purchased a S&W M&P15 and am looking to add a red dot sight. I've been looking at the two below. Any suggestion on which to go with? Anyone with experience with either?

Vortex StrikeFire 2 Red / Green Dot Sight Scope/Cantilever Mount

or

Vortex Sparc II Red Dot Scope

Either would be coupled with the following:

Vortex VMX-3T Magnifier with Flip Mount

Thanks in advance.

Get the PA advanced Microdot. Have seen some very brutal reviews on the optic and it still held zero. has 50K battery life (that being with the optic being constantly on), fits all aimpoint T1 micro mounts, and is compact. Best thing is, it's only 169.99. Hell of price for what your getting.

http://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Advanced_Micro_Dot_with_Push_Buttons_p/md-ads.htm
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox0hgWlYWOg&list=PLb711dtKBi0qwDE42fcWKsEFgfihOCxt4 here's the review

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    Prairieville, LA
    Lots of suggestions, thanks all. I'll do some research and reading on some of the suggestions above and make a decision based on budget, needs, wants, and your recommendations. I'll let you all know what I end up with.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I have the same one that I purchased from PA for the same price. Of course, it didn't have the free shipping. I like it because I have an M4 upper with FSB and a flat top receiver with BUIS. The iron sights co-witness about 1/3 up in the reticule, so if the battery dies, I can use the irons without removing the red dot.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Lots of suggestions, thanks all. I'll do some research and reading on some of the suggestions above and make a decision based on budget, needs, wants, and your recommendations. I'll let you all know what I end up with.

Yep. It's like asking the best way to boil crawfish. 10 people will give 10 different answers. Good luck!

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    Doesn't answer your question but I would try to save up a little more and buy a better optic insert the buy once cry once rule here. In the mean time you can get in some more practice with your irons.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Which one did you end up going with? Im in the same situation. Really close to ordering an Aimpoint Pro, but plan on putting another rifle together and putting a good 1-4 illuminated variable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1bullseyebum
    Top Bottom