Suggestions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    Prairieville, LA
    With the birthday looming, I'd like to get another handgun. Looking for suggestions, around the $500 range. I've been looking at the M&P 9mm and .45, Springfield .45 and a few others.

I currently own a Beretta Px4 storm subcompact, Beretta 92, Diamondback .380, and a Walther ppk .380.

I THINK I'd like to stick with a 9mm, but the .45 seems enticing...

What would you suggest?

mttkyle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    New Iberia
    One suggestion if you go the M&P route, plan on spending the $90 for the Apex or other trigger upgrade. I have the M&P 45 and love it, even moreso after the Apex trigger kit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    Prairieville, LA
    Thanks for the suggestions, all. Right now, I think I'm leaning towards the m&p 9mm VTAC, but I haven't made a decision. Still looking around. Birthday isn't for a few weeks, so, I've got time to shop.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    For a little more coin, you might want to look at a Springfield Range Officer 1911 would be a nice gift to yourself. Pretty sure it comes in 9mm. Of course, it is available in the prophet John Moses Browning's caliber of .45ACP.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I'm not sure if you have thought about it but I've currently been trying to get all my guns set up the same and a single caliber for every gun for instance all pistols are 9mm all rifles are 556 with the one exception of a 762x39 and a 22.

From there I've been modifying them along the way I think best for the purpose I have each one for.

So all of that to say have you thought about maybe upgrades to your current stuff? Mags ammo maybe more to enjoy what you already have. Suppressor for those pesky critters you don't want your liberal neighbors to find out about. Flashlight, sights components that make it smoother or a little more functional in some areas? Stuff I guess that you have been at the range before and say hum I would like this if it was like this or that etc.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    The 9mm M&P's have accuracy issues that S&W has been trying to resolve for years. I would stay with 9mm and consider HK VP9, Sig P320 and Glock 17/19.
    The M&P 9c has a better track recoed then the full size when it comes to shooting groups.
    After 4 years of research APEX will have a fix for the M&P pistols later this year for a price $$$$$$.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    Prairieville, LA
    Hatrick, I have thought about it and that's why I'm leaning more towards a 9mm, over a .40 or .45. Plus, the ammo is cheaper. I have my CCW, in the px4 storm subcompact, the 92 is really my dads and I'm sure he'd love to have it back.

As far as accuracy issues go, those have been resolved with the change from the 1:18 twist rate to the 1:10 twist rate. Since this change was made, the accuracy issues seem to have been resolved. I did look at an HK and it was nice. I still haven't made up my mind.

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    Have you held any of the above?

I know the grip angles played a big part in my choice of a Springfield over a Glock. The S&W semi autos were comfortable also.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    The 9mm M&P's have accuracy issues that S&W has been trying to resolve for years. I would stay with 9mm and consider HK VP9, Sig P320 and Glock 17/19.
    The M&P 9c has a better track recoed then the full size when it comes to shooting groups.
    After 4 years of research APEX will have a fix for the M&P pistols later this year for a price $$$$$$.

That's interesting b/c I group pretty darn well with my 9c, yet sold my spec ops since I couldn't shoot it well.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    Prairieville, LA
    Have you held any of the above?

I know the grip angles played a big part in my choice of a Springfield over a Glock. The S&W semi autos were comfortable also.

I went by my local yesterday and held the Springfield XDM 9mm and the S&W M&P 9mm, the S&W was considerably lighter, but, both felt really nice. Haven't held a VTAC in my hand yet. Was looking around on impactguns.com yesterday and saw a few I liked.

Decisions... decisions...

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    That's interesting b/c I group pretty darn well with my 9c, yet sold my spec ops since I couldn't shoot it well.
    I have the M&P Pro Series 9mm, no accuracy issues for me either. I shoot key hole-cookie cutter groups all day long.

For the OP, I also have the M&P 45 (full size) and love it. I don't have the Apex kit, and either I'm not picky enough, or it just doesn't bother me, but it shoots great also.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have the M&P Pro Series 9mm, no accuracy issues for me either. I shoot key hole-cookie cutter groups all day long.

For the OP, I also have the M&P 45 (full size) and love it. I don't have the Apex kit, and either I'm not picky enough, or it just doesn't bother me, but it shoots great also.

You may have a good one. What is the size of your 10 shot groups from 25 yards?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

+1

M&P's shoot just fine!

Here's one of our own, blasting a golf ball on the first try :rofl:
    (sound is a little jacked up though)

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    You may have a good one. What is the size of your 10 shot groups from 25 yards?
    I'm not sure, smaller than my hand. ~ 6 inches without a rest. I doubt it being luck on the gun, I have 4 M&P's and they all shoot well. I don't shoot the little .380 at that range, since it isn't intended for it. 10 yards at most I think, most likely 7. I'm not sure what the max distance is at FITS, I'm guessing at it being 25, but that's where I usually shoot. My Glocks give me similar results, but aren't as comfortable. My 629, and 57 give tighter groups, not surprisingly. They are far superior, being revolvers.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I'm not sure, smaller than my hand. ~ 6 inches without a rest. I doubt it being luck on the gun, I have 4 M&P's and they all shoot well. I don't shoot the little .380 at that range, since it isn't intended for it. 10 yards at most I think, most likely 7. I'm not sure what the max distance is at FITS, I'm guessing at it being 25, but that's where I usually shoot. My Glocks give me similar results, but aren't as comfortable. My 629, and 57 give tighter groups, not surprisingly. They are far superior, being revolvers.

Sub 6" 10 round groups at 25 yards with an M&P 9 is better than most shoot. Gen 4 9mm Glocks are easily capable of sub 4" groups at 25 yards. The VP9 and P320 are capable of slightly smaller groups.
    Anyone that thinks all M&P 9mm pistols shoot great groups is "out of the loop".
    The newer ones are improving but APEX has finally figured out a fix after 4 years and will soon have parts available that will enhance the M&P accuracy where it MAY shoot better groups than any other polymer pistol available.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    Sub 6" 10 round groups at 25 yards with an M&P 9 is better than most shoot. Gen 4 9mm Glocks are easily capable of sub 4" groups at 25 yards. The VP9 and P320 are capable of slightly smaller groups.
    Anyone that thinks all M&P 9mm pistols shoot great groups is "out of the loop".
    The newer ones are improving but APEX has finally figured out a fix after 4 years and will soon have parts available that will enhance the M&P accuracy where it MAY shoot better groups than any other polymer pistol available.
    Funny, I may be out of the loop, but they still shoot better than my Glocks, without any Apex kits. The Pro series 9mm being slightly better than the others.

Top Bottom