suppressor question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lamuskrat

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    French Settlement, La
    My son has a HK SL8-6 rifle and now wants to put a suppressor on it. What are the things he needs to do to make this happen?
    For example I know he will have to take it to a gunsmith for shortening of barrel, and threading?
    Quality local gunsmith?
    Fees?
    Paperwork?
    ATF???

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    This would probably net you better results posted in the Class III section, honestly.

This, but since I can't move threads here...

You don't have to shorten the barrel but you can. If you do you've created an SBR so make sure you have the paperwork for that before having it done. Any gunsmith should know that. This assumes you are not permanently attaching the suppressor to the barrel. The suppressor will need a separate Form 4 unless you plan to build it then it's a Form 1.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I would avoid modifying the gun unless he is sending off for a G36 conversion. It should already be threaded, it's just a matter of removing the flash hider and installing whatever is needed for the supressor you want to use.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    OK the SL8 is certainly a nice weapon but it may not be the best choice to suppress. It doesn't come stock threaded and having it threaded could reduce it's resale value not to mention if the threading isn't perfect then it could destroy your suppressor on the first shot. You would be better off suppressing an AR or a Remington 700 or any of the dozens of other weapons that have threaded barrels. I recommend AAC suppressors simply because it's what I have and I am happy with it and most of the dealers here carry those in stock.

Yes, the ATF fees are $200 for the suppressor, a bit of paperwork a dealer will help you with, and about a six month wait to get approval. Really, the first thing you need to do is decide which caliber you want to suppress, then find a suppressor you want, then find a dealer, then get the paperwork moving. You can always decide on the rifle much later. Don't worry about the gun at this point. Just get the suppressor moving.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom