Supressor legality???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Triggerhppy83

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Slidell
    I have a friend of mine who ended up with an integraly suppressed 22lr with no papers. He got it legaly so to say from someone in a trade deal. The guy he traded for it was an older gentleman who had purchased a large collection of firearms from the widow of his friend, at the time he was unaware the .22 was even silenced as he had never fired it and was not interested in any .22 firearms. Since my buddy got it he had ran the numbers and is not stolen or anything he just doesnt know what to do now, ie. registration, transfer papers... can he sell it? can he have it? and so on...
    any thoughts???

thanks for any help my buddy is freaking out on what to do

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I have a friend of mine who ended up with an integraly suppressed 22lr with no papers. He got it legaly so to say from someone in a trade deal.

If he didn't have it transferred to him then he didn't get it legally. If it were me, the first call I'd be making is to the ATF to have them come get it. Your buddy should do a little more research on what he's buying/trading for before taking ownership.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    If he didn't have it transferred to him then he didn't get it legally. If it were me, the first call I'd be making is to the ATF to have them come get it. Your buddy should do a little more research on what he's buying/trading for before taking ownership.

+1, potential for a NASTY situation if he doesn't act promptly.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    If he knows the name of the deceased owner, have him contact a lawyer who specializes in successions. The executor of the estate will have to act as the transferor, if it's not too late.

When buying estate firearms, examine fat barrels closely. An integral suppressor can pass for a bull barrel at a glance.

Last edited:

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    +1, potential for a NASTY situation if he doesn't act promptly.

Aw come on, it's just a NFA violation and tax evasion.

IIRC, the NFA violation can get one up to 10 years in prison with a $10,000 fine. The tax evasion charge is another 5 years in prison with a $100,000 fine. Then, one forever loses their right to keep and bear arms.

Triggerhppy83

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Slidell
    Ok thanks, and it was indeed the barrel that screwed him up, he had showed me pictures the guy had sent him and it looked just like a bull barrel, he didn't know it untill he brought it over to show me when I went to check inside the barrel for condition and noticed the baffles

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    If there's no paperwork then it doesn't exist does it. I hope it was a cash deal.

Except for the ATF that's reading this right now and in the process of finding out more. Like mentioned above I would tell him to try and get ATF to pick it up and explain the situation.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    couldn't you pay an ffl to store it for you while working things out with transfer succession and the BATFE?

Doesn't matter, at this point the law has already been broken. I highly doubt any FFL would touch that gun. I'd call the ATF immediately, surrender the firearm and hope to get a refund from the old man that sold it.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Doesn't matter, at this point the law has already been broken. I highly doubt any FFL would touch that gun. I'd call the ATF immediately, surrender the firearm and hope to get a refund from the old man that sold it.
    This. The lady, the elderly gentleman, and your buddy could all be arrested at this point. The ATF likes to make examples out of people.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    Except for the ATF that's reading this right now and in the process of finding out more. Like mentioned above I would tell him to try and get ATF to pick it up and explain the situation.

Remember that we're talking about an agency that's as arrogant and abusive as the TSA.

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    But at this point I think the cost of trying to keep said firearm hidden and hoping one never gets caught with it is far greater than trying to alleviating the situation. I'm no attorney so I don't know. For all I know they could arrest the person possessing it anyway for the hell of it.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Just give it to the cousin you like the least for xmas !!!!!!!!!!! THEN call them :)

Nah on a serious note, I would make sure to call and inform of the sutuation eventhough I doubt it will be a pretty outcome

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    If it's integrally suppressed, I suppose the gun's sn is recorded along with the suppressor, so replacing the barrel and turning in just it and the suppressor wouldn't be an option, would it?

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    It's entirely possible that the deceased man owned it legitimately and died without leaving proper instructions to his executor.

How long does a "lawful heir" have to determine that the estate contains an NFA item and have it transferred into her possession on a Form 5? http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-5.pdf

Last edited:

madmax4x4

HONKY
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    New Orleans
    I have a friend of mine who ended up with an integraly suppressed 22lr with no papers. He got it legaly so to say from someone in a trade deal. The guy he traded for it was an older gentleman who had purchased a large collection of firearms from the widow of his friend, at the time he was unaware the .22 was even silenced as he had never fired it and was not interested in any .22 firearms. Since my buddy got it he had ran the numbers and is not stolen or anything he just doesnt know what to do now, ie. registration, transfer papers... can he sell it? can he have it? and so on...
    any thoughts???

thanks for any help my buddy is freaking out on what to do
    How did your your buddy "run" the numbers? Is it a integraly suppressed 10/22? Did he run the numbers of the firearm or the suppressor? I would have your buddy call the ATF sounds pretty fishy. The value of the gun is not worth the trouble. ;)

If he knows the name of the deceased owner, have him contact a lawyer who specializes in successions. The executor of the estate will have to act as the transferor, if it's not too late.

When buying estate firearms, examine fat barrels closely. An integral suppressor can pass for a bull barrel at a glance.
    Why? That will cost more then the gun.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom