Survival Straps

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    Even if the item is specifically designed for "survival" use like these are? :rolleyes:
    Highly debatable. Paracord is a GREAT GREAT tool for wilderness living, and all around good cordage. However, I doubt anyone who just wraps a bunch of **** with it, or ties some knots here and there on their guns and wrists are actually ever going to use it for anything other than what it currently is used for (wrist band, sling, etc)

Reminds me of the people who replace their boot laces with paracord because "Hey, you can never have enough, and that's like 4 more feet of it on each boot!" ... yea well, DUMBASS, what happens when you take that paracord out to use it for something? NOW YOU CAN'T TIE YOUR BOOTS ON. People don't -think- about the practicality of the **** they do - they just buy it and pat themselves on the back for being "more prepared" or "more able to survive" as if they proved something. Yea, great, you can survive sitting on your couch SO much better, now.

I carry a 100' hank in my pack, plus whatever is left of the last hank I had that's been cut at. Because it weighs nothing, it's one long piece that I can prune from as needed, and I don't have to stand around uknotting **** for a half hour before I can even begin to use the stuff for what I need it for.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I'm just not a fan of those big clevis's they use for a buckle on the bracelets . I realize it has it's own " survival " use as well , but it's too bulky for everyday use . Just my opinion .

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Highly debatable. Paracord is a GREAT GREAT tool for wilderness living, and all around good cordage. However, I doubt anyone who just wraps a bunch of **** with it, or ties some knots here and there on their guns and wrists are actually ever going to use it for anything other than what it currently is used for (wrist band, sling, etc)

Reminds me of the people who replace their boot laces with paracord because "Hey, you can never have enough, and that's like 4 more feet of it on each boot!" ... yea well, DUMBASS, what happens when you take that paracord out to use it for something? NOW YOU CAN'T TIE YOUR BOOTS ON. People don't -think- about the practicality of the **** they do - they just buy it and pat themselves on the back for being "more prepared" or "more able to survive" as if they proved something. Yea, great, you can survive sitting on your couch SO much better, now.

I carry a 100' hank in my pack, plus whatever is left of the last hank I had that's been cut at. Because it weighs nothing, it's one long piece that I can prune from as needed, and I don't have to stand around uknotting **** for a half hour before I can even begin to use the stuff for what I need it for.

Sounds like some good common sense, James. Does academy or Gander Mountain sell it?

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    Sounds like some good common sense, James. Does academy or Gander Mountain sell it?
    I haven't looked, but I haven't seen it.

I typically order online because it seems like it's always marked up ridiculously, at gun shows, and gun shops and other places I've seen it for sale. Gander Mountain is a good place to check, though. I use it for everything from clothes lines, to tying tarps up/down, and rigging all sorts of light stuff.

http://www.wilsontactical.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=86
    http://www.countycomm.com/550cord.htm

Comes in a million colors, but anymore I stick to black - for stuff I don't want standing out, and blaze orange - for stuff I -do- want standing out. It's no fun getting clothes lined in the woods, by your own clothes line...

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Paracordpaul.com has decent prices and he is in mississippi I think. His shipping time was great and he does nice work.

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    www.goinggear.com sells the real deal 550 paracord with 8 internal strands. They also sell belts made of 100 feet of paracord

paracord8bk_LRG.jpgparacordbelt_blk.jpg

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    www.goinggear.com sells the real deal 550 paracord with 8 internal strands. They also sell belts made of 100 feet of paracord

View attachment 18335View attachment 18334
    Oh yea, that brings up a good point.

I've never been ripped off, yet, but I know a few people that were pissed to find out that when they ordered "paracord" it wasn't the real 550 ****, it was 2 strand in one case, and the other guy got NOTHING BUT THE NYLON CASING that the strands are woven inside of.

That's why I stick to reputable dealers :B There some real assholes out there trying to make a buck :P

Rahllin

Geaux Tigers!
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I just got my "Patriot" one in yesterday, trying out wearing it today. I don't know how long it will make it on my wrist for just "everyday" type wear, but I could definitely see myself wearing it when I do outdoors type things. I definitely did not buy it as a "super cool, look at how badass I am because I have string on my wrist in case zombies attack" item, I bought it because I thought it was nifty, halfway practical to wear on my non-watch wrist (what's it hurt?) type thing. I think the real stuff is nice to have around especially since it can be had for cheap.

Oh, a heads up. Academy has some stuff called "paracord" in 50ft segments for $2.99 in the camping department. I bought some of this the other day when this thread reminded me to check the store to see if we had any. Well, I bought a couple things of it because it was only a few dollars, but I went to use some for something around the house, and it is NOT real paracord. It does not have internal woven strands. It is not a hollow casing, but it is just tiny threads woven inside. Hard to describe, but don't bother getting it unless you need just some general "rope" that size.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I bought all of my paracord from a surplus store online, I'll post the link when I get home. Good prices, can buy any length and tons of colors available.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I friend of mine made me one in 2004 in Afghanistan that tied together. Wife wore it on her ankle during our wedding and it's been in my collection box ever since. I was thinking of making a bunch and selling them actually. They're not hard to make.

LSUh20fowler

In the woods
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Vidrine,LA
    A while back it intrigued me so I started trying to make stuff. I've made a bunch of different bracelets, a couple of watch bands, two slings for my rifles, some dog collars, key chains, etc. I even my some handgrips on my fourwheeler with it. Haven't made anything in a while, but its about time to do something else with it.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    I went nuts a while back making all kinds of **** out of paracord. It's very easy to learn, and once you get the hang of it you can make stuff quick. Before long you'll realize everything you own has paracord wrapped around it or hanging from it. :rofl:

+1000

Haven't made anything in a while, but its about time to do something else with it.

Learn how to tie a basic Turk's Head knot woggle, then learn to tie a long Turk's Head grip (video) on something. More info on Turk's Head Knot here and here. I'll have to take a pic of my hiking stick and post it up here, I tied a 3-bight, 54-lead Turk's Head grip on it.

550lbs? Damn I will have to buy some of this stuff! Anyone wanna sell some cheaper bracelets?

I don't like wearing anything on my wrist, but I do like to have paracord around and have a few of these hanging off my backpack, in addition to the hanks in my bag.

Knot_Snake_BIG_4586.jpg

Have a few more in LSU and Saints colors that I sell for $10 each. It is made with two 3-foot strands (one of each color).

Knot-Snake-LSU-4573.jpg
    Knot-Snake-Saints-4574.jpg

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom