Swamp people

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bearfutedninja

coming soon
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    lafayette
    im no cook, but I aint never seen chow chow used in sauce piqaue, but I could be wrong, I been wrong before!

i dont know when i was younger my grandparents had some stuff they called chow chow. its wasnt the stuff i see today the pickle relesh. it was spicy and red. they also had some stuff called baby food. which i found out was fresh jalapenos they would puree and pickle. we used this alot for seafood gumbo. but then again they called everthing a schauz. every boys name was joseph and every girl was josephine. i think they just couldnt remember our names though

kirkdbergeron

Zombie Killah! LOL
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Morgan City, LA
    i dont know when i was younger my grandparents had some stuff they called chow chow. its wasnt the stuff i see today the pickle relesh. it was spicy and red. they also had some stuff called baby food. which i found out was fresh jalapenos they would puree and pickle. we used this alot for seafood gumbo. but then again they called everthing a schauz. every boys name was joseph and every girl was josephine. i think they just couldnt remember our names though

LMAO! atleast you got called by a name, all our names were "Neg".

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Just to stir the pot even more, I speak spanish to my son, but I dont teach him the cuss words, he is also fluent in English as its needed to communicate with his MOM and in School.

IMO its is the only way to keep the culture alive, there would be more French Speaking people in Louisiana if parents would have thought it was important.

You can never know too many languages and its kinna sad when a kid cannot communicate with their great grand parents because of a language barrier.

kirkdbergeron

Zombie Killah! LOL
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Morgan City, LA
    Just to stir the pot even more, I speak spanish to my son, but I dont teach him the cuss words, he is also fluent in English as its needed to communicate with his MOM and in School.

IMO its is the only way to keep the culture alive, there would be more French Speaking people in Louisiana if parents would have thought it was important.

You can never know too many languages and its kinna sad when a kid cannot communicate with their great grand parents because of a language barrier.

You got a point, I remember my dad saying they used to get in trouble for speaking french at school, the HAD to speak english, they would come home and teach it to the parents, now hardly anyone speaks it but the elders and its dying off, they are trying to revive it but it not looking good, if we had used it more at home, and the kids were taught it would be still alive, but it's not and its dying off.....

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Some got regular jobs, some just fish for a living, man dat crawfishing can bring in some cash yea! Shrimping, and fishing too! Trust me there is some mighty fine fisherman houses I have seen, they aint hurting, not one bit!

I agree my x brother in law lives in Pierre Part, he is a fisherman by heart, but when the seasson is low he custom builds and welds on aluminum boats, he makes all kind of stuff with aluminum even deer stands, smart guy and he aint hurting for $$$ either, he lives a very simple life which I think is the key. He still drives his old 1986 Chevy 4x4 but has a brand new skiff behind it, he funny as hell, and he believes just like this guys that there is no need to buy meat at the store everything is provided by mother nature, gotta watch it when they invite people to come eat over never know whats in the pot!~

smboudreaux

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Addis, La
    You got a point, I remember my dad saying they used to get in trouble for speaking french at school, the HAD to speak english, they would come home and teach it to the parents, now hardly anyone speaks it but the elders and its dying off, they are trying to revive it but it not looking good, if we had used it more at home, and the kids were taught it would be still alive, but it's not and its dying off.....

you can hit just about any gas station on weekdays in the early am and all the old guys are pilled up drink coffee talkin french. if your from there you have to watch which gas station you stop at. if someones paw paw recognizes you your stuck for 30 min while the rest of the guys figure out who you are. my grandparents still speak french at thier home. even in communities such as Pierre Part its dying out fast. they have a french immersion program at the elementary school for a while. i don't think it caught on as well as they hoped

smboudreaux

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Addis, La
    Mae cher let me told yall, the difference between etoufee and sauce piquae is da pepper! One kicks and the other dont!
    :D

its all regional, even down here. the way i learned to cook sauce picante was basically a stew with more kick and a fair amount of tomato. i've seen other guys cook it w/o a roux at all. came out very similar to an etoufee.

Top Bottom