Swarovski vs. Kahles (vs. my spelling...)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Which company is the Lexus and which one is the Toyota? I've read reviews which claim opposite of each other. Going strictly by price, the Z6i retails for more than the K16i. But...which product is the better one, optically, durability-wise, etc. I used to think it was the same assembly, but the K16i has a larger FOV than the Z6i, so SOMETHING is actually physically different inside that thar tube!

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    From my understanding they share the same guts but the Kahles is built a little more rugged with military application in mind. The K16i with SM1 reticle is downright magical.

I'm sure Chris from Interstate Guns will be along shortly and he could go more into detail.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    From my understanding they share the same guts but the Kahles is built a little more rugged with military application in mind. The K16i with SM1 reticle is downright magical.

I'm sure Chris from Interstate Guns will be along shortly and he could go more into detail.
    I had thought the g4b was THE reticle?

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Can there be such a thing when it's very much a personal preference? ;)

I think I like the SM1 because it has a smaller center dot, and when illuminated reminds me very much of my Eotech reticle so it's an easy crossover.
    How fast is it compared to the eo? Does it make the gun feel like a bastard sword instead of a rapier?

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I find it to be just about as fast up close. Within the day to day margin of error I think. At distance it's far superior. Even at 100.

I have a Z6i, and will probably buy a K6 as my next variable.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Nothing is faster. The human elemement makes fast or slow. Your not buying car parts. There isn't a measurable metric like horsepower.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I find the main difference is the variable requires a most consistent eye position. But if you have the fundamentals to support it, I actually prefer the variable.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I don't know what the angular deviation is to lose a clear picture, but its nowhere near as forgiving as an RDS. This is especially true in very awkward shooting positions. Especially when urban prone with the gun on the ground.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I don't know what the angular deviation is to lose a clear picture, but its nowhere near as forgiving as an RDS. This is especially true in very awkward shooting positions. Especially when urban prone with the gun on the ground.

During streetfighter, I used my T1, and always visualized the FSP through it before engaging the target. Is it more restrictive than that? (FSP was mounted at the end of a 9" rail if you want to get all technical, T1 near the rear BUIS, maybe 1 rail forward it.)

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    No, I wouldn't say so. But it is different. If illumination is on, on the Z6i, you can still see the dot when when you've gone far enough off angle for the scope to be blacked out. If you go off angle at all, you will get some encroaching
    Black. I would just go shoot one against your EO on a timer and see.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    No, I wouldn't say so. But it is different. If illumination is on, on the Z6i, you can still see the dot when when you've gone far enough off angle for the scope to be blacked out. If you go off angle at all, you will get some encroaching
    Black. I would just go shoot one against your EO on a timer and see.

Is it paralax free at 1X like an RDS, or must there be no black encroaching for things to go the way I want?

Last edited:

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    It definitely has parallax, but it doesn't "seem" to me to be very much, certainly not enough of a difference up close to cause a miss if you made a "good" shot. And at distance, it shouldn't be a problem because you will have more time to take the shot and line everything up.

I think that most 3 Gun shooters are using them is pretty compelling evidence that they work good for up close shooting at speed and distance.

I am not sure about mil / le adoption.

Top Bottom