Talk About a Change of Plans...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    I have some acreage in Northwest Pennsylvania and I was contemplating building a small cabin there to use for a couple of weeks each summer and the occasional hunting/playing in the snow trip. I had determined that it would cost me about $30,000 to build the cabin and then of course my property taxes would skyrocket. So... I thought I would be clever and I decided that it would be better if I bought something like the toy hauler in the video below. My thinking was that we could use it for when we traveled anywhere instead of only to NWPA.

Well... then I discover the wonderful world of GVWR and GCWR so I find myself testing a Ford F250 Super Duty for a couple of days courtesy of the local Ford dealer. This one is a Lariat trim package and has way more bells and whistles than I would like (including leather which Mrs. Parallel hates), but it's a decent deal at about $50,000 for one with the crew cab and the 6.7 L Powerstroke Diesel engine.

2014FordF250SuperDuty_zpse00133b6.jpg

2014FordF250SuperDuty2_zps0b26c2c1.jpg

Then I'm hearing that I don't REALLY want to tow that particular toy hauler with an F250, some are saying that I need at least an F350 and that an F450 would be better. Well, we have decided that it's just not worth the hassle much less the amount of $$ involved. For one thing I just can't stand having a vehicle loan now that I've been without one for nearly fifteen years. I had about half of what would have been needed to put down... but I still couldn't stomach the loan terms. Mrs Parallel made a salient point a couple of nights ago that drove this decision; she said that if we bought this toy hauler and a truck capable of towing it we'd be working way more than we had to to pay for it and therefore wouldn't have the time to use it. This rings true to me and, as someone pointed out to me somewhere... you can stay a lot of nights in a Hotel for $100,000+.

So, I took the truck back and said thanks but no thanks and then I bought a new 2014 Triumph Scrambler to make me feel better. :D
    112277489_1thumb_770x574.jpg

So now the plan is to enjoy the scrambler, NOT build anything on the land, put enough money into my old Chevy Z-71 to make her a reliable toy hauler sans the travel trailer aspect and just LIVE LIFE instead of working to pay for stuff. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I like your style man. I've seen way too many people go in toy debt, then work overtime to pay for them, never get to enjoy them, and eventually sell them for a loss.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    I love my little Honda Grom, I have heard that people are so amused at seeing my 6 foot 1 fram on a motorcycle with 12 inch tires that I have heard picrures of me arpind covington have hit Facebook... I just need something a bit faster but dont want to dump the bike...

bjeepin2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Hickory, La
    I understand we have a 07 27ft toy hauler and a 08 mega cab 2500 4x4 with the big 6cyl in it love it looking to maybe pick up a canam spider sometime in the next year

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    An F250 Diesel can haul A LOT, but that Scrambler is way more fun. Nice choice! I 'm a Triumph rider myself, 2012 Street Triple R. Enjoy it! What dealer did you go through?

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Too far north for a RV/TT IMHO.

Look into building codes:

Where my land is, buildings on skids, those footers that look like concrete traffic cones with the top lopped off etc are not considered "Permanent foundations/structures" and therefore are not taxed.

I've heard of some people having no building codes/Taxes are right building 2-4 200 sqft "Shed/rooms" and connecting them dogtrot fashion.
    -Just have to step "outside" (But still under a roof) to go from a bedroom to the kitchen, etc.
    (Either no taxes, no building permit, or both)

Be inventive.... might need a composting toilet, or something else... you can do it.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I've watched people escalate from popup to small travel trailer to 5th wheel to class A and very often then back to something much smaller. I like the idea of a toy hauler but paying $60K+ for the trailer and another $50K for the truck for something you'll use a few times a year, plus you have to store year round? Nope. I have a large popup and am content. An ultralight 20' or so toy hauler would be even better (which I would have if I could get it under my carport).
    Enjoy the bike and save your money.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    For $100,000, you could not only "stay a lot of nights in a Hotel", but you could buy a motorcycle (like you already did) and have a lot left over for more guns and ammunition.

Top Bottom