Taurus 917....opinions....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    so did i make a bad choice on my first pistol to buy this is one im getting a 24/7 PRO™ PISTOL WITH RIBBER GRIP OVERLAY IN STAINLESS STEEL 9mm i was talked out of buyin a ruger an talked into this one:dunno: havent got it yet so i could still change my mind

My first pistol was a taurus 24/7. I sold it within a month. I never liked shooting it. I'm not saying you should back out, just that *I* wouldn't choose a taurus auto again.

webb

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA. / Mobile, AL.
    I say go buy the POS. After you shoot it a while make sure and post your opinion about the gun. After you post maybe someone else will not listen to what everybody is trying to tell them and go buy another. This way Taurus will never go out of business. I do not know what you plan on using this gun for but, I would not want to depend on a Taurus in a gun fight. I hope I never find myself in a gunfight but if I do I hope the other guy has a Taurus!!!!!!

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    so did i make a bad choice on my first pistol to buy this is one im getting a 24/7 PRO™ PISTOL WITH RIBBER GRIP OVERLAY IN STAINLESS STEEL 9mm i was talked out of buyin a ruger an talked into this one:dunno: havent got it yet so i could still change my mind

My understanding is the third generation Taurus auto loaders haven't been as much a design failure as the earlier models. But the reason you don't hear much about them is because their credit was all used up with the first two generations.

If it's a Taurus Revolver, 1911, or Beretta clone it's probably fine. Anything else is just a gamble right now IMO.

I'd get the Ruger, or save up for a XD, Glock, or M&P.

philup

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    denhamsprings
    this will be our first home protection etc... pistol so it need to work i knew to stay way from highpoint. the ruger i wanted was the sr9 an they were tellin me oh they have problems etc... the sr9 was 600 an the taurus was 399 why would someone want to sell me a cheaper gun if taurus has problems also! yes i will be geting another weapon for me this is for me an my wife an i hate to say we have to buy what we can afford .thanks for all the help let me know what ya think about the ruger oh my uncle has an xd that thing is nice !

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    this will be our first home protection etc... pistol so it need to work i knew to stay way from highpoint. the ruger i wanted was the sr9 an they were tellin me oh they have problems etc... the sr9 was 600 an the taurus was 399 why would someone want to sell me a cheaper gun if taurus has problems also! yes i will be geting another weapon for me this is for me an my wife an i hate to say we have to buy what we can afford .thanks for all the help let me know what ya think about the ruger oh my uncle has an xd that thing is nice !

Find a Taurus revolver in .357 Magnum and a short barreled (22" inches or less) shotgun and you will be set. .357 Mag is hard to beat with good expanding ammo and you can load .38 specials, or .38 special +P to lighten the recoil. Find a 4 inch model. There was one on sale here recently.

If your wife may use the gun, it doesn't get much easier to operate than a revolver (I'm assuming she not going to be a gun girl). Point, pull trigger, repeat as needed. Little chance of jamming, if a round fails to fire just pull the trigger again, stupid simple.

Their revolvers are good reliable guns and have been one of the best values out there. They aren't the best, but they work and are reasonably accurate. I have two snubbies that are just as tight as many of the S&W snubbies. They are not as tight as my dads, model 19, but this gun cost half as much.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DRB88
    Top Bottom