Taurus 9mm trigger

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mss1616

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2016
    Denham Springs
    GM, I bought my wife a Taurus 9mm for Christmas a couple of years ago and the trigger has so much pull in it that she is all over the place up and down and hates it. I need to know all the replacement parts I need to get to accomplish fixing this at a medium to high quality level. All advise is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    First off, I'm going to assume "so much pull" means the trigger has a good bit of creep. Is it DA/SA or DA only? It helps to know exactly what firearm you bought her, as it may be the shooter and not the firearm.

Second, don't even touch the trigger. A gun like that is not meant to be modified. Taurus firearms are bad enough to begin with, let alone a modified Taurus. Do your wife a favor, sell the Taurus and buy her a quality firearm that she prefers shooting.

If she is "all over the place," I guarantee it's not the gun.

Big H

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 3, 2010
    Lake Charles, La. 70607
    Try Apex Tactical Specialties---they make excellent trigger improvement kits for your Taurus---I have installed
    them on all my Taurus semi-autos. Do a little more research and find other vendors that sell various improvement
    kits for most handguns---not just the Taurus. Any competent gunsmith can also help---good luck and good day.

HogHunter1203

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    SWLA
    Trying to decide if this is a legit post or a troll. initial post from new guy. Assuming it's legit, and OP is just inexperienced here goes:

Taurus makes at least 1 semi auto and at least 1 revolver in 9mm. Don't know exact numbers because Im not a Taurus fan. As Dave said, Knowing the model is a must to answering most questions.

Modifying a defense gun may not be a great idea. If something bad happens and she shoots exactly who she meant to, maybe no big deal; if a bystander is accidentally injured, then you may have made the gun "more lethal" with your modification.

Finally, why would you possibly want to modify your wife's gun at "medium" quality level. Many firearms are modular and easily modified, but if you don't know what you're doing, the let a competent gunsmith perform the work.

Sounds like she either needs way more trigger time/practice or needs a new gun with lighter pull weight, ex: Ruger lc9s.

Best of luck and welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Modifying a defense gun is never a good idea. If something bad happens and she shoots exactly who she meant to, maybe no big deal; if a bystander is accidentally injured, then you may have made the gun "more lethal" with your modification.

Although off topic, there is no case law to prove this.

Modifying your defensive gun is A-OK if you use quality parts. However, I've seen more Taurus handguns/revolvers break than anything else, so I would never trust my life even with an OEM Taurus firearm.

mss1616

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2016
    Denham Springs
    I am absolutely new to the site. I am by any mean the most experience with the inner workings of handguns. My wife and I are experienced in firing and using handguns along with most others, just have not torn one down and made any modifications. This issue was only a problem with she or I using this particular gun, I have several others and were using them at the same time as this without the issue and on target. It was only an up and down issue for her because the creep is so drawn out she is almost having to force the issue while firing and that should not be the case. She seemed to be flinching, I know you should only have ease into it and have it fire without a forced action and that is not the case here. For the worrisome issue of me doing the modifications that is not the case. I have a friend who is in law enforcement and he is taking it to his guy to fix but asked that I provide all parts based on the quality and amount I wanted to spend. I only asked about medium to high quality based on whether I wanted to invest it in this gun or buy a new one.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Once again... Please tell us the Model # of the firearm from Taurus.

If the firearm has defective parts, it should be sent back to Taurus. However, it sounds like this is user error and not a defect in the firearm. I highly suggest you DO NOT have someone look at it, nor have someone modify the firearm in any way! Any "guy" that asks you to provide parts, is not someone I would bring a firearm to for repairs.

Send your firearm back to Taurus if you feel that there is a mechanical defect and parts need to be replaced.

Edit -

To add, considering you only have two posts, I would assume this is a troll thread, but then again... I've seen some really stupid things happen in the past *cough* Taurus Judge Laser *cough* :mamoru:

Last edited:

HogHunter1203

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    SWLA
    Although off topic, there is no case law to prove this.

Modifying your defensive gun is A-OK if you use quality parts. However, I've seen more Taurus handguns/revolvers break than anything else, so I would never trust my life even with an OEM Taurus firearm.

Apologies. "Never" is a strong and unnecessary word. Most of my guns are somewhat to heavily modified and the trigger is typically the first to change; including home defense firearms. But my carry guns remain in stock configuration, and I practice with them regularly.
    I spend a great deal of my time minimizing liabilities bc that's the direction my industry has gone.

The case that comes to mind is frank magliato vs the people of New York, circa 1983 I believe. Not a perfect example by any means and there were other factors at play (i.e. Fleeing the scene, if I remember correctly), but it does illustrate the point. I'm no lawyer, but I can appreciate the card a savy attorney could play to a jury in a negligent discharge or accidental death/injury case. If you are an experienced shooter and quality parts are used, have at it. If not, why take the risk? Take her to a gun store and let her hold/pull the trigger on several. I'm assuming this is a defensive gun. After you buy it, get a ton of ammo and head to the range and get her comfortable with it.

I'm not typically preachy. I'll quit now.

Last edited:

HogHunter1203

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    SWLA
    "Never" here was referring to my use of the word, and the post was edited to remove it. What you never choose to do is your own business and I couldn't care less.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    "Never" here was referring to my use of the word, and the post was edited to remove it. What you never choose to do is your own business and I couldn't care less.

Agreed.

On the topic of firearm modification, we also agree. Firearm modification is perfectly fine with quality parts. However, anything can happen. Speaking of... I used to carry a specific manufacturer's magazine extensions (which came with new springs). I carried these on my spare magazine and fired a few hundred rounds through them, before I started experiencing issues. It's rather foolish to carry something with such little time invested into the actual use of the part. The results caused me to sell them and go back to using OEM magazines only.

Point being, we could be looking at this from a carry perspective, but the OP may only be looking to get a trigger job on a range toy.

Poorboy504

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Westbank/nola
    I don't think you should invest time or money into improving a Taurus trigger. I'm not sure which Taurus model you had, but I had a Pt111 g2 that was very difficult to shoot well because of the heavy, gritty trigger. You may be better served selling the Tuarus and getting another pistol that she shoots well. The trigger parts and job may end up costing more in the long run.

Bonephish

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    I understand the OP's frustration. Just sold a gun that had a long DAO trigger that made everybody flinch who fired the thing. I had the gun only a few weeks and changed the trigger, but that did nothing to help the creep. My advice, as others have advised, is to sell the offending Taurus and go gun shopping with your wife.

Top Bottom