Taurus Good And Bad

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    I wrote about my TAURUS experience in a thread "Taurus Kicks Ass" about my good warranty dealings with Taurus. A slight problem: The gun would NOT hit POA if I shot it, others shot it and from a sandbag. WTF?! Then I just happened, while cleaning, to notice the front section of the gun/barrel was turned to the right about 1 degree. AHA!That's the bad part.

So I called Taurus and told them of this. New gun about 2 months old and they sent me an email FedEx label. I sent the gun in and this morning it arrived back! From the FedEx pickup until the gun's return was about 2 - 2 1/2 weeks. That's the good part. It was annoying and inconvenient, but Taurus' warranty folks still did a nice job. Turn around in less than 3 weeks seems pretty good, IMO.

So good, in fact, that I bought a black model, same one -- 605B-2 to keep my 605SS-2 company in the safe. :D

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    That is a really good turn around. Glad they are doing good to thier custumers. I wish they could fix thier inital quality control issues in the first place though as they make several nice sized weapons I wouldn't mind owning.

O_R_B_1

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    New Orleans, La.
    Friend of mine bought the OSS, then bought the 24/7 full size then the compact he loved them so much. The OSS died on him but he sent it back and 2 weeks later the gun was fixed, no questions asked.

Looks like their customer service is pretty damn good!

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Bling is my THING:}

"T" #1 service and widening the gap:}
    Never any problems with them....

9exfkpkeeu7gnu1d9fc.jpg

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    Some hate Taurus for any number of reasons. We've had good service with ours. Between my dad and I we have something in almost every caliber from 22 to 454. The only one that had to go back was the 22. Otherwise they've been plenty reliable and accurate.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Nothing against Taurus, but they make a product to a price point. Most mfgs do this, but I do feel (personal opinion, I know) that there are other mfgs that make a superior product (albiet at a higher price).

While I may be frugal, I do want a product that is made correctly and works right out of the box. I will spend what is required to get these features.

I have not found any of the taurus products I have owned to be superior to their competitors. So I do not buy Taurus.

I could not imagine having to send a gun back because it was assembled incorrectly.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    If you want the gun as a toy that's one thing.... but to many of us firearms are "life support equipment"... 2 week turnaround doesn't work when your gun breaks in a fight. (Or your without your CCW for weeks)

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    Nothing against Taurus, but they make a product to a price point. Most mfgs do this, but I do feel (personal opinion, I know) that there are other mfgs that make a superior product (albiet at a higher price) ... So I do not buy Taurus.

And I fully agree with you. I bought the first SS Tauri because I wanted a three fiddy seven and didn't have one. The second, because I like the first! :D

Now, if I were a LEO or other professional, I woulda spent the extra $$$ for a S&W or other hi-end gun. But I'm not. And the Tauri seem more than adequate for general, moderate use. I like them, they perform well and are affordable. What's not to like?

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    So let me get this straight.

You bought a gun at a show that looked new, but turned out to be used and had issues with the lockwork. So you sent it back and 6 months later got a new gun that has the barrel installed incorrectly.

So you had a gun that did not work, and waited 6 months for a replacement that also does not work.

Sounds like taurus are "2 for 2" on this... Not good.

I have a 605 banging around somewhere. I will have to give it a good once over and shoot it before I trust it. It was cheap, and used when I got it.

I am suprised you bought another after having these issues... Do you own a chevy?

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    So let me get this straight.

You bought a gun at a show that looked new, but turned out to be used and had issues with the lockwork. So you sent it back and 6 months later got a new gun that has the barrel installed incorrectly.

So you had a gun that did not work, and waited 6 months for a replacement that also does not work.

Sounds like taurus are "2 for 2" on this... Not good.

I have a 605 banging around somewhere.

In my original post I admitted to purchasing the used gun as new. My fault for not inspecting it a bit better but the guy had it marked as new and it came with the box and all the paperwork. I'd say it is a toss-up. Then Taurus sent me a brand new gun (the one I sent back had visible use and turns out the hammer-pin was cracked) to replace it. The replacement one shot, it was just off a bit and no one could figure it out.

Upon closer inspection I found the barrel turned about 1 degree. Gun still shot well but was off about 1-2" right. Not THAT bad. :( So I sent it back again and got it fixed and returned in under 3 weeks. Yes, it was annoying and inconvenient, but I got a new gun for the price I paid at a gun show. I got the 2nd one (in black) because, other than the issue getting fixed, I like the gun. And it was a 605 SS 2".

kooldoc70770

Louisiana Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    City of Central
    I have a Taurus PT-99 9mm It is very accurate and reliable,it is as accurate as my friends Glock17 with no problems,as a matter of fact My friend went and bought a Taurus92 after my taurus shot better than his Glock,which is as reliable and accurate as mine at a very good price,The best deal on a quality nine in my view, As you will find for quality and accuracy.I also have a Berrata that is a safe Queen because the taurus shoots better, and has a better trigger pull in my opion, I like Taurus

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    No serious shooter on the planet favors them.

Your first and only clue.

Yes, they serve a price point purpose and reportedly have great CS. I've also seen at least half a dozen of them spewing their own guts out one metal shaving at a time.

No thanks.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I had a .357, seven or eight shots, and it worked well. Then the cylinder wouldn't always rotate when it cocked.

Some said it as an issue of burnt powder building up.

I took it to Bud's Guns and sold it.
    :ohreally:

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I have a Taurus PT-99 9mm It is very accurate and reliable,it is as accurate as my friends Glock17 with no problems,as a matter of fact My friend went and bought a Taurus92 after my taurus shot better than his Glock,which is as reliable and accurate as mine at a very good price,The best deal on a quality nine in my view, As you will find for quality and accuracy.I also have a Berrata that is a safe Queen because the taurus shoots better, and has a better trigger pull in my opion, I like Taurus

:rollseyes:

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    No serious shooter on the planet favors them.

Your first and only clue.

With all due respect Sir

Would you define serious shooter for me please... I'm confussed; and would you consider yourself a "Serious " shooter?

The planet seems like a large place to have knowledge of everyones opinions IMHO

I've had several Taurus Weapons and had no problems with them:}

Thanks in advance for your reply
    S.

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    I wrote about my TAURUS experience in a thread "Taurus Kicks Ass" about my good warranty dealings with Taurus. A slight problem: The gun would NOT hit POA if I shot it, others shot it and from a sandbag. WTF?! Then I just happened, while cleaning, to notice the front section of the gun/barrel was turned to the right about 1 degree. AHA!That's the bad part.

So I called Taurus and told them of this. New gun about 2 months old and they sent me an email FedEx label. I sent the gun in and this morning it arrived back! From the FedEx pickup until the gun's return was about 2 - 2 1/2 weeks. That's the good part. It was annoying and inconvenient, but Taurus' warranty folks still did a nice job. Turn around in less than 3 weeks seems pretty good, IMO.

So good, in fact, that I bought a black model, same one -- 605B-2 to keep my 605SS-2 company in the safe. :D

I liked my taurus until it broke. Taurus won't do any thing about it because I use hand loaded ammo and it voids their warranty. Most of the shooters I know use handloaded ammo.

Attachments

• Taurus 445 A.jpg
      Taurus 445 A.jpg
      178.3 KB · Views: 33

nwmousegunner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Homer,La.
    I have a P22. I bought it to have a small double action only pistol for practice. My edc is da only and at the time I bought the Taurus .22 lr was cheaper than my reloads. Gun has worked fine for my use.

Top Bottom