Tax Free Weekend Drama Pt II

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Praesul Presul

On Target.....Sometimes
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Western KY
    Last year it was arguing with Cabela's over reloading supplies which in the way the Holiday is written is a little gray (another thread). Asked this year - same answer "Nope". Fine I'll go to LA Reloading, Hebert's, etc.

So I bought ammo on the Saturday at Walmart Oneil and said what's this tax before I swiped my card. Multiple dummies also known as Managers/CSM's came by and said "no you have to pay local taxes still." I said no you have it wrong. I tried to point out to them that looking at their system it appears an "X" next to the item means it is taxed and "N" it isn't. I then told them it looked like some of my stuff was taxed and some not eventhough it was all ammo plus the bottom said "9%" which is the full tax. Found an old receipt in my pocket to show another purchase from a few weeks ago. No one understood it. Cashier said I just had a customer who bought ammo and paid no tax. So then I got a "maybe its only one certain ammo" BS. Seriously I don't work in retail but I did once for 7 years. I realize it is time consuming to alter your system for special things like this for a few days, but God sakes print stuff out like below and hand it out to managers and others in the know.

Go back in last Wednesday with these:
    http://rev.louisiana.gov/sections/publications/viewrelease.aspx?id=356&view=print

http://www.legis.state.la.us/billdata/streamdocument.asp?did=668895

Of all people I get the same CSM. She argues initially and I give her the above stuff and off she goes to "see the Wizard". Eventually it is all worked out but she asks if she can keep the above so she can mail to corporate as she says they have no control over stuff like this. "Arkansas does it all." she says. Walmart is really run like that - no local involvement on a local issue?

Next year I am arming myself with all of these documents - maybe everybody should.

killdee

Wanderer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    BR, LA
    I was shopping gun safes, and Bowie was selling them tax free, while Liberty Safes said they had to charge tax. I didn't buy one anyway, but just another example of confusion over the legislation.

ofcmetz

Dark Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    As an owner of Wal-Mart stock, I resemble this remark. :D

Really, I would just stick with the shops who know their stuff and avoid the rest. Sucks that Cabela's doesn't have their stuff straight two years in a row though.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    I would file a complaint with the Louisiana Department of Revenue and send supporting documentation. The Secretary makes a big deal about going on all of the TV stations to promote this and would not likely approve of some business ruining his big day in the limelight.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I would file a complaint with the Louisiana Department of Revenue and send supporting documentation. The Secretary makes a big deal about going on all of the TV stations to promote this and would not likely approve of some business ruining his big day in the limelight.

Having been inundated with the press mentioned in the quote above, I would have to agree.

At the very least, the Sec will have to put up or shut up; just be ready to spread the word if the office doesn't take interest.

I've found over the years that a cogent and eloquent e-mail, peppered with some clever sarcasm and spiced with thinly veiled threats of blasting their bad name on the Interwebz, goes a LOOOOONNNNGGGG way.

TomW

Recreational Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Prairieville, LA
    When I went in to Cabela's during TF weekend to buy another hand-gun and some ammo, I also picked up some Hoppes #9 solvent, and a bag of patches. Thye charged me tax on the cleaning stuff...I protested a little, but they "Insisted they knew the law better than I" and the tax free status was only for items taken into the field like when you're hunting. I smiled and reminded them that I, and most shooters I know take cleaning supplies into "the field" or to the range or anywhere else I am planning on doing a lot of shooting. Since I had already been there going on 3 hours for my simple little purchase I let it slide and paid the couple of bucks.

Like others have said, it is pretty amazing how many different interpretations of this law there are, and regardless of how lax or strict they are, they are allowed to continue doing what they do...

Praesul Presul

On Target.....Sometimes
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Western KY
    How about just don't shop at walmart. Are you really suprised they suck at what they do?

The whole point is at this point at least in my experience Walmart and Cabela's have it wrong. Cabela's is not reading it the same way as everyone else and I am convinced Walmart's problem was they just changed their system to exclude tax on everything that prints as "Ammo" but missed they have some stuff as "Ammunition" in their system as that is the ones I paid full tax on.

Top Bottom