Tennessee to allow permit holders to carry in bars

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Just seen on the news that Tennessee will now allow CC in Bars with permit.

For people like me who dont drink it would be nice to carry in a bar but I do wonder about the CC guys who do drink and the bad that could happen.

I am all for the right to protect yourself however I do see lots of bad that can come from this.

That being said.....if someone wants to kill you in a bar they will find a way to make it happen.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly

For people like me who dont drink it would be nice to carry in a bar but I do wonder about the CC guys who do drink and the bad that could happen.

I am all for the right to protect yourself however I do see lots of bad that can come from this.

That being said.....if someone wants to kill you in a bar they will find a way to make it happen.

Your thoughts?
    My thoughts are that those who drink.... give up their right to CCW just like before.

This is simply protecting people like you... and Bar owners and others who haveto deal with cash late at night.

Lastly, If someone wants to carry, they will.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Drinking or being drunk is neither a cause nor an excuse for mishandling a firearm. A drunk person who has taken it upon himself to carry a handgun knows (or damn well better know) the responsibility of carrying and what can happen if he takes out his firearm.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Drinking or being drunk is neither a cause nor an excuse for mishandling a firearm. A drunk person who has taken it upon himself to carry a handgun knows (or damn well better know) the responsibility of carrying and what can happen if he takes out his firearm.

Not only that but we already have a law against carrying while intoxicated. No need to double legislate it, imo.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007

Your thoughts?
    CHP holders in Nevada have been allowed to carry in bars for years.
    The only time I've heard of a permit holder pulling a gun was when someone with a grudge came inside a bar shooting.
    http://www.lvrj.com/news/19257519.html

:)

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    My thoughts are that those who drink.... give up their right to CCW just like before.

This is simply protecting people like you... and Bar owners and others who haveto deal with cash late at night.

Lastly, If someone wants to carry, they will.

This. Since this would be applicable to permit holders, all current laws / rules for CHp would still apply.

The argument has also been made that if you start drinking, you are essentially voiding your CHP at that moment by virtue of breaking the rules of the CHP agreement and are now in the same moment:
    http://www.lsp.org/pdf/chRuleBook08.pdf

3. A permittee is prohibited from carrying a concealed handgun on his person while under the influence of alcoholic beverages or a controlled dangerous substance as defined in R.S. 40:961 and R.S. 40:964. For purposes of these rules, a permittee shall be considered under the influence as evidenced by a blood alcohol reading of 0.05 grams percent or greater by weight of alcohol in the blood, or when a blood test or urine test shows any confirmed presence of a controlled dangerous substance as defined in R.S. 40:961 and 40:964. When a law enforcement officer is made aware that a permittee is carrying a concealed handgun and the officer has reasonable grounds to believe that the permittee is under the influence of either alcoholic beverages or a controlled dangerous substance as defined in R.S. 40:961 and 40:964, the law enforcement officer may take temporary possession of the handgun and require the permittee to submit to a department certified chemical test. The law enforcement agency by which such officer is employed shall designate which of the aforesaid tests shall be administered. Failure of the permittee to comply with the provisions of this Section, shall result in a six-month automatic suspension of the concealed handgun permit.

****NOTE**** In the case of controlled substances, like prescritiopn drugs, or illegal narcotics, the mere presence is enough. It does not say "unless prescribed by a physician." As it logically would had they meant to exempt those who are prescribed medication that is otherwise considered "controlled deadly substances as defined in R.S. 40:961 and 40:964"

By drinking.....

And by now being in a bar with essentially no permit because you voided the one you entered with-

§95. Illegal carrying of weapons

A. Illegal carrying of weapons is:

(1) The intentional concealment of any firearm, or other instrumentality customarily used or intended for probable use as a dangerous weapon, on one's person; or

(2) The ownership, possession, custody or use of any firearm, or other instrumentality customarily used as a dangerous weapon, at any time by an enemy alien; or

(3) The ownership, possession, custody or use of any tools, or dynamite, or nitroglycerine, or explosives, or other instrumentality customarily used by thieves or burglars at any time by any person with the intent to commit a crime; or

(4) The manufacture, ownership, possession, custody or use of any switchblade knife, spring knife or other knife or similar instrument having a blade which may be automatically unfolded or extended from a handle by the manipulation of a button, switch, latch or similar contrivance.

(5)(a) The intentional possession or use by any person of a dangerous weapon on a school campus during regular school hours or on a school bus. "School" means any elementary, secondary, high school, or vo-tech school in this state and "campus" means all facilities and property within the boundary of the school property. "School bus" means any motor bus being used to transport children to and from school or in connection with school activities.

(b) The provisions of this Paragraph shall not apply to:

(i) A peace officer as defined by R.S. 14:30(B) in the performance of his official duties.

(ii) A school official or employee acting during the normal course of his employment or a student acting under the direction of such school official or employee.

(iii) Any person having the written permission of the principal or school board and engaged in competition or in marksmanship or safety instruction.

B.(1) Whoever commits the crime of illegal carrying of weapons shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars, or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.

(2) Whoever commits the crime of illegal carrying of weapons with any firearm used in the commission of a crime of violence as defined in R.S. 14:2(B), shall be fined not more than two thousand dollars, or imprisoned, with or without hard labor, for not less than one year nor more than two years, or both. Any sentence issued pursuant to the provisions of this Paragraph and any sentence issued pursuant to a violation of a crime of violence as defined in R.S. 14:2(B) shall be served consecutively.

C. On a second conviction, the offender shall be imprisoned with or without hard labor for not more than five years.

D. On third and subsequent convictions, the offender shall be imprisoned with or without hard labor for not more than ten years without benefit of parole, probation, or suspension of sentence.

E. If the offender uses, possesses, or has under his immediate control any firearm, or other instrumentality customarily used or intended for probable use as a dangerous weapon, while committing or attempting to commit a crime of violence or while in the possession of or during the sale or distribution of a controlled dangerous substance, the offender shall be fined not more than ten thousand dollars and imprisoned at hard labor for not less than five nor more than ten years without the benefit of probation, parole, or suspension of sentence. Upon a second or subsequent conviction, the offender shall be imprisoned at hard labor for not less than twenty years nor more than thirty years without the benefit of probation, parole, or suspension of sentence.

F. The enhanced penalty upon second, third, and subsequent convictions shall not be applicable in cases where more than five years have elapsed since the expiration of the maximum sentence, or sentences, of the previous conviction or convictions, and the time of the commission of the last offense for which he has been convicted; the sentence to be imposed in such event shall be the same as may be imposed upon a first conviction.

G.(1) The provisions of this Section except Paragraph (4) of Subsection A shall not apply to sheriffs and their deputies, state and city police, constables and town marshals, or persons vested with police power when in the actual discharge of official duties. These provisions shall not apply to sheriffs and their deputies and state and city police who are not actually discharging their official duties, provided that such persons are full time, active, and certified by the Council on Peace Officer Standards and Training and have on their persons valid identification as duly commissioned law enforcement officers.

(2) The provisions of this Section except Paragraph (4) of Subsection A shall not apply to any law enforcement officer who is retired from full-time active law enforcement service with at least twelve years service upon retirement, nor shall it apply to any enforcement officer of the office of state parks, in the Department of Culture, Recreation and Tourism who is retired from active duty as an enforcement officer, provided that such retired officers have on their persons valid identification as retired law enforcement officers, which identification shall be provided by the entity which employed the officer prior to his or her public retirement. The retired law enforcement officer must be qualified annually in the use of firearms by the Council on Peace Officer Standards and Training and have proof of such qualification. This exception shall not apply to such officers who are medically retired based upon any mental impairment.

(3)(a) The provisions of this Section except Paragraph (4) of Subsection A shall not apply to active or retired reserve or auxiliary law enforcement officers qualified annually by the Council on Peace Officer Standards and Training and who have on their person valid identification as active or retired reserve law or auxiliary municipal police officers. The active or retired reserve or auxiliary municipal police officer shall be qualified annually in the use of firearms by the Council on Peace Officer Standards and Training and have proof of such certification.

(b) For the purposes of this Paragraph, a reserve or auxiliary municipal police officer shall be defined as a volunteer, non-regular, sworn member of a law enforcement agency who serves with or without compensation and has regular police powers while functioning as such agency's representative, and who participates on a regular basis in agency activities including, but not limited to those pertaining to crime prevention or control, and the preservation of the peace and enforcement of the law.

H. The provisions of this Section shall not prohibit active justices or judges of the supreme court, courts of appeal, district courts, parish courts, juvenile courts, family courts, city courts, and traffic courts, constables, coroners, district attorneys and designated assistant district attorneys, United States attorneys and assistant United States attorneys and investigators, and justices of the peace from possessing and concealing a handgun on their person when the justice or judge, constable, coroner, district attorneys and designated assistant district attorneys, United States attorneys and assistant United States attorneys and investigators, or justices of the peace are certified by the Council on Peace Officer Standards and Training.

I. The provisions of this Section shall not prohibit the carrying of a concealed handgun by a person who is a college or university police officer under the provisions of R.S. 17:1805 and who is carrying a concealed handgun in accordance with the provisions of that statute.

J. The provisions of this Section shall not prohibit the ownership of rescue knives by commissioned full-time law enforcement officers. The provisions of this Section shall not prohibit the carrying of rescue knives by commissioned full-time law enforcement officers who are in the actual discharge of their official duties. The provisions of this Section shall not prohibit the sale of rescue knives to commissioned full-time law enforcement officers. The provisions of this Section shall not prohibit the ownership or possession of rescue knives by merchants who own or possess the knives solely as inventory to be offered for sale to commissioned full-time law enforcement officers. As used in this Subsection, a "rescue knife" is a folding knife, which can be readily and easily opened with one hand and which has at least one blade which is designed to be used to free individuals who are trapped by automobile seat belts, or at least one blade which is designed for a similar purpose. No blade of a rescue knife shall exceed five inches in length.

K.(1) The provisions of this Section shall not prohibit a retired justice or judge of the supreme court, courts of appeal, district courts, parish courts, juvenile courts, family courts, and city courts from possessing and concealing a handgun on their person provided that such retired justice or judge is certified by the Council on Peace Officer Standards and Training and has on their person valid identification showing proof of their status as a retired justice or judge.

(2) The retired justice or judge shall be qualified annually in the use of firearms by the Council on Peace Officer Standards and Training and have proof of such certification. However, this Subsection shall not apply to a retired justice or judge who is medically retired based upon any mental impairment.

Amended by Acts 1956, No. 345, §1; Acts 1958, No. 21, §1; Acts 1958, No. 379, §§1, 3; Acts 1968, No. 647, §1; Acts 1975, No. 492, §1; Acts 1986, No. 38, §1; Acts 1992, No. 1017, §1; Acts 1993, No. 636, §1; Acts 1993, No. 844, §1; Acts 1994, 3rd Ex. Sess., No. 143, §1; Acts 1995, No. 636, §1; Acts 1995, No. 930, §1; Acts 1995, No. 1195, §1; Acts 1995, No. 1199, §1; Acts 1997, No. 508, §1; Acts 1997, No. 611, §1; Acts 1997, No. 1064, §1; Acts 1999, No. 738, §1; Acts 1999, No. 924, §1; Acts 1999, No. 953, §1; Acts 2003, No. 608, §1; Acts 2003, No. 766, §1; Acts 2006, No. 515, §1; Acts 2006, No. 589, §1; Acts 2008, No. 172, §1.

Now, none of this has been tested in court, and one would assume to suffer this kind of wrath you would have to be "THAT GUY", IOW start waving your gun around while dancing the naked macaranea on the top of the bar holding one of those "Big ASS Beers" in the yard glass.

but an ambitious DA could make the case.

Something to think about.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Here's a semi-related question, as it at least involves the carrying of firearms and drinking.

Suppose you go somewhere with a friend/significant other. You carry your firearm, but opt to leave it in the car (for whatever reason-- legal or otherwise). While at your destination, you drink enough to be legally over the limit to CC, and close enough for a DUI to insist that your sober friend drive home. However, your weapon is in the car, the car is yours-- you are not exactly in control of the firearm, but responsible for it.

Any laws being violated there? I assume you can be an intoxicated passenger in a car that contains a weapon, but what if you're responsible for putting it there, and the driver has no claim to it?

Better still, what if the car belongs to your friend (who knew you would be carrying and leaving a weapon inside it), but you can't legally possess it at that particular time?

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    This.

As long as it is not "concealed on your person", technically you are not carryin under the permit and would not be in violation of the statute.

Indeed, so it's just a firearm contained in a motor vehicle. And it doesn't matter who the vehicle or firearm belongs to in that case, provided the driver and/or owner of the vehicle know it's there and have given permission. At least that's what I gather.

This situation does pop up for me from time to time, but only recently did it cross my mind to ask about the specifics. That's BS for you-- got me considering legal implications all of the time now!

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Indeed, so it's just a firearm contained in a motor vehicle. And it doesn't matter who the vehicle or firearm belongs to in that case, provided the driver and/or owner of the vehicle know it's there and have given permission. At least that's what I gather.

This situation does pop up for me from time to time, but only recently did it cross my mind to ask about the specifics. That's BS for you-- got me considering legal implications all of the time now!

Keeping in mind that when you post it , your thought then becomes evidence against you in court by the legal assains and JBT's may soon be at your door :dogkeke: :rofl:

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    ****NOTE**** In the case of controlled substances, like prescritiopn drugs, or illegal narcotics, the mere presence is enough. It does not say "unless prescribed by a physician." As it logically would had they meant to exempt those who are prescribed medication that is otherwise considered "controlled deadly substances as defined in R.S. 40:961 and 40:964"

All prescription drugs, or is it classified as some worse than others ??

People on regular meds, like Ms Dawg, not that it matters cause she don't like guns...I guess I'm asking is Valium the same as Hydracodone or Oxyconton or MS Contin... as to the law ??

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA

All prescription drugs, or is it classified as some worse than others ??People on regular meds, like Ms Dawg, not that it matters cause she don't like guns...I guess I'm asking is Valium the same as Hydracodone or Oxyconton or MS Contin... as to the law ??

I posted a list but i think it may be in a locked thread somewhere.

Look up laws here

But once again...

§961. Definitions

As used in this Part, the following terms shall have the meaning ascribed to them in this Section unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:

(7) "Controlled dangerous substance" means any substance defined, enumerated, or included in federal or state statute or regulations, 21 CFR §1308.11-15 or R.S. 40:964, or any substance which may hereafter be designated as a controlled dangerous substance by amendment of supplementation of such regulations or statute. The term shall not include distilled spirits, wine, malt beverages, or tobacco.

40:964. Composition of schedules

Schedules I, II, III, IV, and V shall, unless and until added to pursuant to R.S. 40:962, consist of the following drugs or other substances, by whatever official name, common or usual name, chemical name, or brand name designated:

SCHEDULE I

A. Opiates. Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule, any of the following opiates, including their isomers, esters, ethers, salts, or salts of isomers, esters, and ethers, whenever the existence of such isomers, esters, ethers, or salts is possible within the specific chemical designation:

*(1)

Acetyl-alpha-methylfentanyl (N-[1-(1-methyl-2-phenethyl)-4-piperidinyl]-N-phenylacetamide)

*(2) Acetylmethadol

*(3) Allylprodine

*(4) Alphacetylmethadol (except levo-alphacetylmethadol, also known as levomethadyl acetate, or LAAM)

*(5) Alphameprodine

*(6) Alphamethadol

*(7) Alpha-methylfentanyl (N-[1-(alpha-methyl-beta-phenyl) ethyl-4-piperidyl]propionanilide; 1-(1-methyl-2-phenylethyl)-4-(N-propanilido) piperidine)

*(8) Alpha-methylthiofentanyl (N-[1-methyl-2-(2-thienyl)ethyl-4-piperidinyl]-N-phenylpropanamide)

*(9) Benzethidine

*(10) Betacetylmethadol

*(11) Beta-hydroxyfentanyl (N-[1-(2-hydroxy-2-phenethyl)-4-piperidinyl]-N-phenylpropanamide)

*(12) Beta-hydroxy-3-methylfentanyl (N-[1-(2-hydroxy-2-phenethyl)-3-methyl-4-piperidinyl]-N-phenylpropanamide)

*(13) Betameprodine

*(14) Betamethadol

*(15) Betaprodine

*(16) Clonitazene

*(17) Dextromoramide

*(18) Diampromide

*(19) Diethylthiambutene

*(20) Difenoxin

*(21) Dimenoxadol

*(22) Dimepheptanol

*(23) Dimethylthiambutene

*(24) Dioxaphetyl butyrate

*(25) Dipipanone

*(26) Ethylmethylthiambutene

*(27) Etonitazene

*(28) Etoxeridine

*(29) Furethidine

*(30) Hydroxypethidine

*(31) Ketobemidone

*(32) Levomoramide

*(33) Levophenacylmorphan

*(34) 3-Methylfentanyl (N-[3-methyl-1-(2-phenylethyl)-4-piperidyl]-N-phenylpropanamide)

*(35) 3-methylthiofentanyl (N-[3-methyl-1-(2-thienyl)ethyl-4-piperidinyl]-N-phenylpropanamide)

*(36) Morpheridine

*(37) MPPP (1-methyl-4-phenyl-4-propionoxypiperidine)

*(38) Noracymethadol

*(39) Norlevorphanol

*(40) Normethadone

*(41) Norpipanone

*(42) Para-fluorofentanyl (N-(4-fluorophenyl)-N-[1-(2-phenethyl)-4-piperidinyl] propanamide)

*(43) PEPAP (1-(-2-phenethyl)-4-phenyl-4-acetoxypiperdine)

*(44) Phenadoxone

*(45) Phenampromide

*(46) Phenomorphan

*(47) Phenoperidine

*(48) Piritramide

*(49) Proheptazine

*(50) Properidine

*(51) Propiram

*(52) Racemoramide

*(53) Thiofentanyl (N-phenyl-N-[1-(2-thienyl)ethyl-4-piperidinyl]-propanamide)

*(54) Tilidine

*(55) Trimeperidine

B. Opium derivatives. Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule, any of the following opium derivatives, its salts, isomers, and salts of isomers whenever the existence of such salts, isomers, and salts of isomers is possible within the specific chemical designation:

*(1) Acetorphine

*(2) Acetyldihydrocodeine

*(3) Benzylmorphine

*(4) Codeine methylbromide

*(5) Codeine-N-Oxide

*(6) Cyprenorphine

*(7) Desomorphine

*(8) Dihydromorphine

*(9) Drotebanol

*(10) Etorphine, except hydrochloride salt

*(11) Heroin

*(12) Hydromorphinol

*(13) Methyldesorphine

*(14) Methyldihydromorphine

*(15) Morphine methylbromide

*(16) Morphine methylsulfonate

*(17) Morphine-N-Oxide

*(18) Myrophine

*(19) Nicocodeine

*(20) Nicomorphine

*(21) Normorphine

*(22) Pholcodine

*(23) Thebacon

C. Hallucinogenic substances. Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule, any material, compound, mixture, or preparation, which contains any quantity of the following hallucinogenic substances, or which contains any of their salts, isomers, or salts of isomers, whenever the existence of such salts, isomers, or salts of isomers is possible within the specific chemical designation, for purposes of this Paragraph only, the term "isomer" includes the optical, position, and geometric isomers:

(1) Alpha-ethyltryptamine

(2) 4-bromo-2,5-dimethoxyamphetamine

(3) 4-bromo-2,5-dimethoxyphenethylamine

(4) 2,5-dimethoxyamphetamine

(5) 2,5-dimethoxy-4-ethylamphetamine

(5.1) 2,5-dimethoxy-4-(n)-propylthiophenethylamine (2C-T-7)

(6) 4-methoxyamphetamine

(7) 5-methoxy-3,4-methylenedioxyamphetamine

(8) 4-methyl-2,5-dimethoxyamphetamine

(9) 3,4-methylenedioxyamphetamine

(10) 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA)

(11) 3,4-methylenedioxy-N-ethylamphetamine

(12) N-hydroxy-3,4-methylenedioxyamphetamine

(13) 3,4,5-trimethoxy amphetamine

(13.1) Alphamethyltryptamine

(14) Bufotenine

(15) Diethyltryptamine

(16) Dimethyltryptamine

(16.1) 5-methoxy-N, N-diisopropyltryptamine

(17) Ibogaine

(18) Lysergic acid diethylamide

(19) Marihuana

(20) Mescaline

(21) Parahexyl, also known as Synhexyl

(22) Peyote

(23) N-ethyl-3-piperidyl benzilate

(24) N-methyl-3-piperidyl benzilate

(25) Psilocybin

(26) Psilocyn

(27) Tetrahydrocannabinols, including synthetic equivalents and derivatives

(28) Ethylamine analog of phencyclidine

(29) Pyrrolidine analog of phencyclidine

(30) Thiophene analog of phencyclidine

(31) 1-[1-(2-thienyl)cyclohexyl]pyrrolidine

(32) Synthetic cannabinoids as follows:

(a) 2-[(1R,3S)-3-hydroxycyclohexyl]-5-(2-methyloctan-2-yl)phenol {also known as CP 47,497 and its C6, C7, C8, and C9 homologues}

(b) (6aR,10aR)-9-(hydroxymethyl)-6,6-dimethyl-3-(2-methyloctan-2-yl)-6a,7,10,10a-tetrahydrobenzo [c]chromen-1-ol {also known as HU-210}

(c) Naphthalen-1-yl-(1-pentylindol-3-yl)methanone {also known as 1-Pentyl-3-(1-naphthoyl)indole or JWH-018}

(d) Naphthalen-1-yl-(1-butylindol-3-yl)methanone {also known as 1-Butyl-3-(1-naphthoyl)indole or JWH-073}

D. Depressants. Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule, any material, compound, mixture, or preparation which contains any quantity of the following substances having a depressant effect on the central nervous system, including its salts, isomers, and salts of isomers whenever the existence of such salts, isomers, and salts of isomers is possible within the specific chemical designation:

(1) Gamma-hydroxybutyric acid (GHB)

(2) Mecloqualone

(3) Methaqualone

E. Stimulants. Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule, any material, compound, mixture, or preparation which contains any quantity of the following substances having a stimulant effect on the central nervous system including its salts, isomers, and salts of isomers whenever the existence of such salts, isomers, and salts of isomers is possible within the specific chemical designation:

(1) Aminorex

(2) Cathinone

(3) Fenethylline

(4) Methcathinone

(5) (±)cis-4-methylaminorex

(5.1) N-Benzylpiperazine (BZP)

(6) N-ethylamphetamine

(7) N,N-dimethylamphetamine

SCHEDULE II

A. Substances of vegetable origin or chemical synthesis. Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule, any of the following substances whether produced directly or indirectly by extraction from substances of vegetable origin, or independently by means of chemical synthesis, or by a combination of extraction and chemical synthesis:

(1) Opium and opiate, and any salt, compound, isomer, derivative, or preparation of opium or opiate, excluding apomorphine, thebaine-derived butorphanol, dextrorphan, nalbuphine, nalmefene, naloxone, and naltrexone, and their respective salts, but including the following:

(a) Raw opium

(b) Opium extracts

(c) Opium fluid extracts

(d) Powdered opium

(e) Granulated opium

(f) Tincture of opium

(g) Repealed by Acts 1999, No. 755, §2.

(h) Codeine

(i) Dihydroetorphine

(j) Ethylmorphine

(k) Etorphine hydrochloride

(l) Hydrocodone

(m) Hydromorphone

(n) Metopon

(o) Morphine

(p) Oxycodone

(q) Oxymorphone

(r) Thebaine

(s) Oripavine

(2) Any salt, compound, isomer, derivative, or preparation thereof which is chemically equivalent or identical with any of the substances referred to in Paragraph (1), except that these substances shall not include the isoquinoline alkaloids of opium.

(3) Opium poppy and poppy straw.

(4) Coca leaves, cocaine, ecgonine and any salt, isomer, salt of an isomer, compound, derivative, or preparation of coca leaves, cocaine or ecgonine and any salt, isomer, salt of an isomer, compound, derivative, or preparation thereof which is chemically equivalent or identical with any of these substances, except that the substances shall not include decocainized coca leaves or extraction of coca leaves, which extractions do not contain cocaine or ecgonine.

(5) Repealed by Acts 2001, No. 282, §2.

(6) Concentrate of poppy straw (the crude extract of poppy straw in either liquid, solid, or powder form which contains the phenanthrene alkaloids of the opium poppy).

B. Opiates. Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule, any of the following opiates, including its isomers, esters, ethers, salts, and salts of isomers, esters, ethers, and salts is possible within the specific chemical designation, dextrorphan and levopropoxyphene excepted:

(1) Alfentanil

(2) Alphaprodine

(3) Anileridine

(4) Bezitramide

(5) Bulk Dextropropoxyphene (non-dosage forms)

(6) Carfentanil

(7) Dihydrocodeine

(8) Diphenoxylate

(9) Fentanyl

(10) Isomethadone

(11) Levo-alphacetylmethadol

(12) Levomethorphan

(13) Levorphanol

(14) Metazocine

(15) Methadone

(16) Methadone-intermediate, 4-cyano-2-dimethylamino-4,4-diphenylbutane

(17) Moramide-intermediate, 2-methyl-3-morpholino-1,1-diphenylpropane-carboxylic acid

(18) Pethidine (meperidine)

(19) Pethidine-intermediate-A, 4-cyano-1-methyl-4-phenyl-piperidine

(20) Pethidine-intermediate-B, ethyl-4-phenylpiperidine-4-carboxylate

(21) Pethidine-intermediate-C, 1-methyl-4-phenylpiperidine-4-carboxylic acid

(22) Phenazocine

(23) Piminodine

(24) Racemethorphan

(25) Racemorphan

(26) Remifentanil

(27) Sufentanil

(28) Tapentadol

C. Stimulants. Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule, any material, compound, mixture, or preparation which contains any quantity of the following substances having a stimulant effect on the central nervous system:

(1) Amphetamine, its salts, optical isomers, and salts of its optical isomers

(2) Methamphetamine, its salts, isomers, and salts of its isomers

(3) Phenmetrazine and its salts

(4) Methylphenidate

(5), (6) Repealed by Acts 1999, No. 755, §2.

(7) Lisdexamfetamine, its salts, isomers, and salts of its isomers

D. Depressants. Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule, any material, compound, mixture, or preparation which contains any quantity of the following substances having a depressant effect on the central nervous system, including its salts, isomers, or salts of isomers, whenever the existence of such salts, isomers, and salts of isomers is possible within the specific chemical designation:

(1) Repealed by Acts 2006, No. 54, §2.

(2) Amobarbital

(3) Glutethimide

(4) Pentobarbital

(5) Phencyclidine

(6) Secobarbital

E. Immediate precursors. Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule, any material, compound, mixture, or preparation which contains any quantity of the following substances:

(1) Immediate precursors to amphetamine and methamphetamine: phenylacetone.

(2) Immediate precursors to phencyclidine (PCP):

(a) 1-phenylcyclohexylamine;

(b) 1-piperidinocyclohexanecarbonitrile (PCC).

For purposes of this Subsection, possession of immediate precursors sufficient for the manufacture of phenylacetone, piperidine, or cyclohexanone shall be deemed to be possession of such a derivative substance.

F. Hallucinogenic substances:

(1) Nabilone

SCHEDULE III

A. Stimulants. Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule, any material, compound, mixture, or preparation which contains any quantity of the following substances having a stimulant effect on the central nervous system:

(1) Benzphetamine

(2) Chlorphentermine

(3) Clortermine

(4) Repealed by Acts 1982, No. 92, §2.

(5) Repealed by Acts 2008, No. 67, §2.

(6) Phendimetrazine

B. Depressants. Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule, any material, compound, mixture, or preparation which contains any quantity of the following substances having a depressant effect on the central nervous system:

(1) Any compound, mixture, or preparation containing:

(a) Amobarbital

(b) Secobarbital

(c) Pentobarbital

or any salt thereof and one or more active medicinal ingredients which are not listed in any schedule.

(2) Any suppository dosage form containing:

(a) Amobarbital

(b) Secobarbital

(c) Pentobarbital or any salt of any of these drugs and approved by the federal Food and Drug Administration for marketing only as a suppository.

(3) Any substance which contains any quantity of a derivative of barbituric acid, or any salt thereof, but not including butalbital when in combination with at least three hundred twenty-five milligrams of acetaminophen per dosage unit.

(4) Chlorhexadol

(5) Embutramide

(6) Any drug product containing gamma hydroxybutyric acid, including its salts, isomers, and salts of isomers, which has been approved by the federal Food and Drug Administration.

(7) Ketamine, its salts, isomers, and salts of isomers

(8) Lysergic acid

(9) Lysergic acid amide

(10) Methyprylon

(11) Sulfondiethylmethane

(12) Sulfonethylmethane

(13) Sulfonmethane

(14) Tiletamine and zolazepam or any salt thereof

C. Nalorphine

D. Limited narcotic drugs. Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule:

(1) Any material, compound, mixture, or preparation containing limited quantities of any of the following narcotic drugs, or any salts thereof:

(a) Not more than 1.8 grams of codeine per 100 milliliters or not more than 90 milligrams per dosage unit with an equal or greater quantity of an isoquinoline alkaloid of opium.

(b) Not more than 1.8 grams of codeine per 100 milliliters or not more than 90 milligrams per dosage unit, with one or more active, nonnarcotic ingredients in recognized therapeutic amounts.

(c) Not more than 300 milligrams of hydrocodone per 100 milliliters or not more than 15 milligrams per dosage unit, with a fourfold or greater quantity of an isoquinoline alkaloid of opium.

(d) Not more than 300 milligrams of hydrocodone per 100 milliliters or not more than 15 milligrams per dosage unit, with one or more active, nonnarcotic ingredients in recognized therapeutic amounts such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen.

(e) Not more than 1.8 grams of dihydrocodeine per 100 milliliters or not more than 90 milligrams per dosage unit, with one or more active, nonnarcotic ingredients in recognized therapeutic amounts.

(f) Not more than 300 milligrams of ethylmorphine per 100 milliliters or not more than 15 milligrams per dosage unit, with one or more active, nonnarcotic ingredients in recognized therapeutic amounts.

(g) Not more than 500 milligrams of opium per 100 milliliters or per 100 grams, or not more than 25 milligrams per dosage unit, with one or more active, nonnarcotic ingredients in recognized therapeutic amounts.

(h) Not more than 50 milligrams of morphine per 100 milliliters or per 100 grams, with one or more active nonnarcotic ingredients in recognized therapeutic amounts.

(2) Any material, compound, mixture, or preparation containing any of the following narcotic drugs or their salts:

(a) Buprenorphine

E. Anabolic steroids and muscle building substances. Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule, any material, compound, mixture, or preparation, containing any quantity of the following substances, including its salts, esters, ethers, isomers, and salts of isomers whenever the existence of such salts, esters, ethers, isomers, and salts of isomers is possible within the specific chemical designation. The term "anabolic steroid" means any drug or hormonal substance, chemically and pharmacologically related to testosterone, other than estrogens, progestins, corticosteroids, and dehydroepiandrosterone that promote muscle growth and include the following:

(1) 3β,17-dihydroxy-5a-androstane

(2) 3α,17β-dihydroxy-5a-androstane

(3) 5α-androstan-3,17-dione

(4) 3β,17β-dihydroxy-5α-androst-1-ene

(5) 3α,17β-dihydroxy-5α-androst-1-ene

(6) 4-androstenediol

(7) 5-androstenediol

(8) 1-androstenedione

(9) 4-androstenedione

(10) 5-androstenedione

(11) Bolasterone

(12) Boldenone

(12.1) Boldione

(13) Calusterone

(14) Clostebol

(15) Dehydrochloromethyltestosterone

(15.1) Desoxymethyltestosterone

(16) Δ1-dihydrotestosterone

(17) 4-dihydrotestosterone

(18) Drostanolone

(19) Ethylestrenol

(20) Fluoxymesterone

(21) Formebolone

(22) Furazebol

(23) 13β-ethyl-17α-hydroxygon-4-en-3-one

(24) 4-hydroxytestosterone

(25) 4-hydroxy-19-nortestosterone

(26) Mestanolone

(27) Mesterolone

(28) Methandienone

(29) Methandriol

(30) Methenolone

(31) 17α-methyl-3β,17β-dihydroxy-5a-androstane

(32) 17α-methyl-3α,17β-dihydroxy-5a-androstane

(33) 17α-methyl-3β,17β-dihydroxyandrost-4-ene

(34) 17α-methyl-4-hydroxynandrolone

(35) Methyldienolone

(36) Methyltrienolone

(37) Methyltestosterone

(38) Mibolerone

(39) 17α-methyl-Δ1-dihydrotestosterone

(40) Nandrolone

(41) 3β,17β-dihydroxyestr-4-ene

(42) 3α,17β-dihydroxyestr-4-ene

(43) 3β,17β-dihydroxyestr-5-ene

(44) 3α,17β-dihydroxyestr-5-ene

(44.1) 19-nor-4, 9(10)-androstadienedione

(45) 19-nor-4-androstenedione

(46) 19-nor-5-androstenedione

(47) Norbolethone

(48) Norclostebol

(49) Norethandrolone

(50) Normethandrolone

(51) Oxandrolone

(52) Oxymesterone

(53) Oxymetholone

(54) Stanozolol

(55) Stenbolone

(56) Testolactone

(57) Testosterone

(58) Tetrahydrogestrinone

(59) Trenbolone

F.(1) Except as provided in Paragraph (2) of this Subsection, the term anabolic steroid does not include a substance listed in Subsection E above but which is expressly intended for administration to livestock or other nonhuman species and which has been approved by the secretary of health and hospitals for such an administration.

(2) If any person prescribes, dispenses, or distributes such steroid for human use, such person shall be considered to have prescribed, dispensed, or distributed an anabolic steroid within the meaning of Subsection E above.

(3) A physician, dentist, or veterinarian shall not prescribe, dispense, deliver, or administer an anabolic steroid for human use or cause an anabolic steroid to be administered under his direction or supervision for human use except for a valid medical purpose and when required by demonstrable generally accepted medical indications. Bodybuilding, muscle enhancement, or increasing muscle bulk or strength through the use of an anabolic steroid by a person who is in good health is hereby declared not a valid medical purpose.

G. Substances of vegetable origin or chemical synthesis. Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule, any of the following substances whether produced directly or indirectly by extraction from substances of vegetable origin, or independently by means of chemical synthesis, or by a combination of extraction and chemical synthesis:

(1) Synthetic Dronabinol [delta-9-(trans) tetrahydrocannabinol] in sesame oil and encapsulated in a soft gelatin capsule in a U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved product.

SCHEDULE IV

A. Narcotic drugs

Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule, any material, compound, mixture, or preparation containing any of the following narcotic drugs, or their salts, in limited quantities, as set forth below:

(1) Not more than 1 milligram of difenoxin and not less than 25 micrograms of atropine sulfate per dosage unit.

(2) Dextropropoxyphene.

B. Depressants

Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule, any material, compound, mixture, or preparation containing any quantity of the following substances, including its salts, isomers, and salts of isomers, whenever the existence of such salts, isomers, and salts of isomers is possible within the specific chemical designation:

(1) Alprazolam

(2) Barbital

(3) Bromazepam

(4) Camazepam

(4.1) Carisoprodol

(5) Chloral betaine

(6) Choral hydrate

(7) Chlordiazepoxide, but not including chlordiazepoxide hydrochloride in combination with clidinium bromide, or chlordiazepoxide and water-soluble esterified estrogens.

(8) Clobazam

(9) Clonazepam

(10) Clorazepate

(11) Clotiazepam

(12) Cloxazolam

(13) Delorazepam

(14) Diazepam

(15) Dichloralphenazone

(16) Estazolam

(17) Ethchlorvynol

(18) Ethinamate

(19) Ethyl loflazepate

(20) Fludiazepam

(21) Flunitrazepam

(22) Flurazepam

(22.1) Fospropofol

(23) Halazepam

(24) Haloxazolam

(25) Ketazolam

(26) Loprazolam

(27) Lorazepam

(28) Lormetazepam

(29) Mebutamate

(30) Medazepam

(31) Meprobamate

(32) Methohexital

(33) Methylphenobarbital (mephobarbital)

(34) Midazolam

(35) Nimetazepam

(36) Nitrazepam

(37) Nordiazepam

(38) Oxazepam

(39) Oxazolam

(40) Paraldehyde

(41) Petrichloral

(42) Phenobarbital

(43) Pinazepam

(44) Prazepam

(45) Quazepam

(46) Temazepam

(47) Tretrazepam

(48) Triazolam

(49) Zaleplon

(50) Zolpidem

(51) Zopiclone

(52) Repealed by Acts 2010, No. 810, §2.

C. Fenfluramine

Any material, compound, mixture, or preparation which contains any quantity of the following substances, including its salts, isomers (whether optical, position, or geometric), and salts of isomers, whenever the existence of such salts, isomers, and salts of isomers including Fenfluramine is possible.

D. Stimulants

Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule, any material, compound, mixture, or preparation which contains any quantity of the following substances, including its salts, isomers, and salts of isomers:

(1) Cathine (norpseudoephedrine)

(2) Diethylpropion

(3) Fencamfamin

(4) Fenproporex

(5) Mazindol

(6) Mefenorex

(7) Modafinil

(8) Pemoline (including organometallic complexes and chelates thereof)

(9) Phentermine

(10) Pipradrol

(11) Sibutramine

(12) SPA [(-)-1-dimethylamino-1,2-diphenylethane]

E. Other substances

Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule, any material, compound, mixture, or preparation which contains any quantity of the following substances, including its salts:

(1) Pentazocine

(2) Butorphanol (including its optical isomers)

SCHEDULE V

A. Narcotic drugs containing nonnarcotic active medicinal ingredients. Any compound, mixture, or preparation containing any of the following limited quantities of narcotic drugs or salts thereof, which shall include one or more nonnarcotic active medicinal ingredients in sufficient proportion to confer upon the compound, mixture, or preparation valuable medicinal qualities other than those possessed by the narcotic drug alone:

(1) Not more than 200 milligrams of codeine per 100 milliliters or per 100 grams.

(2) Not more than 100 milligrams of dihydrocodeine per 100 milliliters or per 100 grams.

(3) Not more than 100 milligrams of ethylmorphine per 100 milliliters or per 100 grams.

(4) Not more than 2.5 milligrams of diphenoxylate and not less than 25 micrograms of atropine sulphate per dosage unit.

(5) Not more than 100 milligrams of opium per 100 milliliters or per 100 grams.

(6) Not more than 0.5 milligrams of difenoxin and not less than 25 micrograms of atropine sulfate per dosage unit.

B. Narcotic drugs. Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule, any material, compound, mixture, or preparation containing any of the following narcotic drugs and their salts, as set forth below:

(1) Repealed by Acts 2006, No. 54, §2.

C. Stimulants. Unless specifically exempted or excluded or unless listed in another schedule, any material, compound, mixture, or preparation which contains any quantity of the following substances having a stimulant effect on the central nervous system, including its salts, isomers, and salts of isomers:

(1) Pyrovalerone

D. Depressants. Unless specifically exempted or excluded or unless listed in another schedule, any material, compound, mixture, or preparation which contains any quantity of the following substances having a depressant effect on the central nervous system, including its salts:

(1) Pregbalin

(2) Lacosamide

E.(1) Ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, phenylpropanolamine. Unless listed in another schedule, any material, compound, mixture, or preparation containing any detectable quantity of ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, or phenylpropanolamine, their salts or optical isomers, or salts of optical isomers.

(2)(a) Nonprescription products containing ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, or phenylpropanolamine shall not be sold or distributed in a quantity greater than nine grams of ephedrine base, pseudoephedrine base, or phenylpropanolamine base to the same purchaser within any thirty-day period.

(b) Notwithstanding the prescription requirements for Schedule V controlled dangerous substances as provided for in R.S. 40:978(C), nonprescription products containing ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, or phenylpropanolamine may be dispensed without a prescription.

(3)(a) No person shall purchase, receive, or otherwise acquire more than nine grams of ephedrine base, pseudoephedrine base, or phenylpropanolamine base within any thirty-day period.

(b) This limit shall not apply to any quantity of such product, mixture, or preparation dispensed pursuant to a valid prescription written by a licensed health care professional having prescriptive authority.

(4) Wholesale drug distributors licensed by the Louisiana State Board of Wholesale Drug Distributors and registered with the United States Drug Enforcement Administration shall be exempt from the storage, reporting, record keeping, and physical security requirements for controlled dangerous substances for nonprescription products containing ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, and phenylpropanolamine which are not listed in another schedule.

(5) Except for sales log requirements and the transmittal of transaction information to the central computer monitoring system authorized by the provisions of Part X-F of Chapter 4 of Title 40 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, pharmacies and pharmacists licensed by the Louisiana Board of Pharmacy and registered with the United States Drug Enforcement Administration shall be exempt from the storage, reporting, record keeping, and physical security requirements for controlled dangerous substances for nonprescription products containing ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, or phenylpropanolamine which are not listed in another schedule.

(6) The transaction information provided for in R.S. 40:1049.3 for the purchase of a nonprescription product containing ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, or phenylpropanolamine shall constitute an "order from a practitioner" as provided for in R.S. 40:970(C). Possession of a nonprescription product containing ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, or phenylpropanolamine pursuant to a valid transaction as provided for in R.S. 40:1049.3 shall be a defense for a violation of R.S. 40:970(C).

Amended by Acts 1991, No. 513, §§1, 3; Acts 1991, No. 842, §1, eff. July 23, 1991; Acts 1993, No. 156, §§1, 2; Acts 1993, No. 288, §1; Acts 1993, No. 616, §1; Acts 1997, No. 398, §1; Acts 1998, 1st Ex. Sess., No. 129, §1; Acts 1999, No. 582, §1; Acts 1999, No. 755, §§1 and 2; Acts 2000, 1st Ex. Sess., No. 13, §1, eff. April 13, 2000; Acts 2001, No. 282, §§1 and 2; Acts 2001, No. 1036, §1; Acts 2004, No. 702, §1; Acts 2006, No. 54, §§1, 2; Acts 2006, No. 56, §1; Acts 2008, No. 67, §§1, 2; Acts 2009, No. 153, §1; Acts 2009, No. 165, §1; Acts 2009, No. 314, §1; Acts 2010, No. 565, §1; Acts 2010, No. 810, §§1, 2; Acts 2010, No. 866, §1.

*NOTE: Asterisks in Schedule I(A) and (B) indicate substances for which greater penalties are provided in R.S. 40:966(B) and (C).

Top Bottom