Term "coonass"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10November1775

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Just curious what cajuns think about this term. I personally never use it because i know the root of it. Both my parents are french speakers from acadiana. I never heard it used until i got around the cajuns in asscension parish (more removed from native french speakers). I am not offended by it but i am curious if anyone else is.

From what i have observed, it seems to be used by cajuns in the same way the n word is used by some blacks (a term with deragatory roots now used as a cultural identity).

What are others' views?

Again it does not offend me because i dont care enough about other peoples' opinions to get offended, but i am curious.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I'm proud to be a coonass.
    The root may come from several sources but considering they are a couple hundred years old I do not feel they apply to me. If you are from Avoyelles Parish been to the couchon de lait, bought beer at the bottle shop across from the police station way under age andgot in a fight at Kyrles you are a coonass and proud of it.
    But hey I don't want to be called a redneck, cajun or red bone.

Last edited:

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Just curious what cajuns think about this term. I personally never use it because i know the root of it. Both my parents are french speakers from acadiana. I never heard it used until i got around the cajuns in asscension parish (more removed from native french speakers). I am not offended by it but i am curious if anyone else is.

From what i have observed, it seems to be used by cajuns in the same way the n word is used by some blacks (a term with deragatory roots now used as a cultural identity).

What are others' views?

Again it does not offend me because i dont care enough about other peoples' opinions to get offended, but i am curious.

What do you think the root of it is? There are several theories.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    Coonass is not an offensive word to anyone I would ever associate with. But my family of coonasses don't really have any feelings anyway.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    The only time I get mad is when my mother-n-law calls me a coonass. She is a crack-hoe from Florida who hasn't had a job in over a decade but still drinks until she passes out everyday. Yet she thinks she is better than a coonass!

The whole ordeal with Jamie Bergeron's song a while back is just ridiculous. I personally view it as a tribute to my ancestors who were exiled for refusing to be sheep and had to start from scratch more than once, and still succeeded. Most recent of which was my grandparents generation who were prohibited from speaking their native tongue in school. My grandfather had to learn a new language and still managed to retire with a small fortune from his hard work. So YES, I am a COONASS!

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I use it.

I'm from New York.

I treat it as a term of endearment for a culture that is fading.

I cannot fathom using the term as an insult.

I have been called an honorary coonass for my gumbo. That is the second highest praise my cooking has ever gotten.

Now if any of you have great Jambalaya recipes, I'd sure love them.

10November1775

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    The only time I get mad is when my mother-n-law calls me a coonass. She is a crack-hoe from Florida who hasn't had a job in over a decade but still drinks until she passes out everyday. Yet she thinks she is better than a coonass!

The whole ordeal with Jamie Bergeron's song a while back is just ridiculous. I personally view it as a tribute to my ancestors who were exiled for refusing to be sheep and had to start from scratch more than once, and still succeeded. Most recent of which was my grandparents generation who were prohibited from speaking their native tongue in school. My grandfather had to learn a new language and still managed to retire with a small fortune from his hard work. So YES, I am a COONASS!

I know the frustration of having lost the language. Both my parents (born in the 50's spoke it; my mother as a first language). I undersatnd it well enough but mostly picked up on the cuss words. I am not aiming to start a cultural debate but just wanting to see where others stand on the issue. Was just thinking about the issue because i am currently teaching my sons cajun french.

blanepara9

just some dude
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    lafayette
    Yes I want to know the origins of this term. I got a plaque when I left Korea in 2000 that reads "SPC BLANE "COONASS" THIBODEAUX" for which I am most proud of!!!

Last edited:

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    I know the frustration of having lost the language. Both my parents (born in the 50's spoke it; my mother as a first language). I undersatnd it well enough but mostly picked up on the cuss words. I am not aiming to start a cultural debate but just wanting to see where others stand on the issue. Was just thinking about the issue because i am currently teaching my sons cajun french.

That's great that you are passing on the culture. My grandfather passed on some of it and I picked up some in Nova Scotia. My mom can speak it, but refuses to. My dad never learned. I have my wife understanding enough to know when I ask her for something or tell her "Vien ici." My son, who is only 1, goes to sleep every night listening to either either Johnny Sonnier or Iry Lejeune.

10November1775

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    That's great that you are passing on the culture. My grandfather passed on some of it and I picked up some in Nova Scotia. My mom can speak it, but refuses to. My dad never learned. I have my wife understanding enough to know when I ask her for something or tell her "Vien ici." My son, who is only 1, goes to sleep every night listening to either either Johnny Sonnier or Iry Lejeune.

Good that you start your son young. My 5 year old can repeat phrases perfectly after hearing in once. We listen to clifton chenier or zachary richard (my personal favorite) on the way to school every morning.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana

I have to object to that comparison though. I don't know of any cajuns (myself included) who are offended when someone from a different culture refers to them as a "coonass". Now that maybe because I've never heard it used as a derogatory term directed towards me. It's also rarely used except when someone from outside the south Louisiana community is in the conversation or the topic there of.

10November1775

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    I have to object to that comparison though. I don't know of any cajuns (myself included) who are offended when someone from a different culture refers to them as a "coonass". Now that maybe because I've never heard it used as a derogatory term directed towards me. It's also rarely used except when someone from outside the south Louisiana community is in the conversation or the topic there of.

I meant in the sense that its origins are deragatory. The original term is different from the way it is used now. Much the same way as the n word is offensive with the -er but when said by whites with the -a when meant as a term of endearment is not offensive.

jchebert1979

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Lafayette, La
    I don't know of anyone who thinks it's a derogatory word however, a long time ago one of my friends had a coonass license plate on his truck while in Texas. A group of black people thought that it was related to the derogatory term "coon". We had to explain to them what it meant.

10November1775

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom