Test Case Against ATF

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Morgan Allison

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Houma
    I was recently contacted by a lawyer with the Firearms Industry Consulting Group. They want to challenge the rule that you need a CLEO to sign off on a Form 1 or Form 4 for a NFA transfer. He thinks Louisiana would be a good place to challenge it, because here we define CLEO as being the Sheriff of the parish. (There may be some nuances to that. I haven't done a lot of research on it.)

He asked me to find people who would be willing to be plaintiffs in a test case. They need people who collect, own, or would care to acquire NFA-regulated firearms.

Although I haven't been active here in a long while, I immediately thought of you guys. If anyone is interested in taking part in this, let me know, and I'll pass your information along to the FICG guy.

EDIT:
    I set up a form to collect your contact information if you are interested in participating in the suit:
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1FlHTQrGoFNkBRbznx4DMSkWP12H7p6WzHZQ7dLhMTEA/viewform?usp=send_form

Last edited:

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I believe a number of people have circumvented their sheriffs' policies by going through their District Attorney for approval. I'm sure there are other parishes as well, but my understanding is that the sheriffs of Jefferson Parish and St. James Parish will not sign off on a Form 1 or Form 4.

Sheriff Sid Gautreaux, here in East Baton Rouge, doesn't seem to have a problem signing off on applications.

Are you looking for potential plaintiffs who have attempted to purchase NFA items as an individual and been denied, or folks who have refrained from attempting to do so because of the policies of their CLEOs, or both?

Thanks for taking this on. I'm happy to help in any way I can.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    After all of the whining I've heard over the years on here from those that can't get their local big shot to sign their form; you should have enough for a class actions suit! :mamoru:

Morgan Allison

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Houma
    Are you looking for potential plaintiffs who have attempted to purchase NFA items as an individual and been denied, or folks who have refrained from attempting to do so because of the policies of their CLEOs, or both?

Thanks for taking this on. I'm happy to help in any way I can.

Thanks!

As I understand it so far, it's a pretty broad category: anyone who has, or wants to have, NFA-regulated cool stuff.

I don't know how involved I will be in the case, myself, though. At this point, all I was asked to do is see if I could find some people who met that description (which I copied and pasted directly from his email to me). Of course, I just got a big, evil grin on my face and thought "yeah... I might know how to reach a few..."

Top Bottom