testing waters for AR add-on's....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rabbit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2012
    Carencro, LA
    I am adding to our home defense AR that doubles as a plinker/ small game shooter. I want a light for it. how much are they going for? anyone have one to sell?

I am thinking that a short range light (less than 30 yards) is most 'logical' for a SD gun, so a pistol light would work.... but is it much more to get a longer throw for light? is that TOO much light? and the strobe... is that as good as they say?

what yall got for a member to save some cash?

(also looking to get an AR 'armorer tool' and complete upper to shoot 243 or something bigger than 556 and a bayonet...come on what pisses of the left wing more than a pointy piece of steel at the end of an 'evil black rifle' ??)

Last edited:

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I'm asking, why use a full size AR RIFLE, instead of an AR PISTOL (PDW), since you plan to use it inside the house. And yes I'm recommending one of the Streamlight TLR's. The TLR3 is on sale right now at Optics Planet.

audioshooter

On Target. Send It.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    The case i have heard for using a full size AR is that it is easier to stay in control of. And maybe he just prefers the feel of a rifle? I dont really care for AR pistols.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    The only reason I don't like the idea of using a full size AR for inside home protection IS the length. There's a lot hanging waaaaaay out in front when a Mossberg JIC is $400. I have some pistols by the bed, but I've started to lean toward a short shotty, probably a 20ga. It's somewhat light, easy to handle, and with a 20ga opposed to a 12, my wife won't have any issues if she were to hip fire. I may even do a 12 for my side of the bed and 20 for hers, but I'd rather go through the house with some 00 or a slug, or some of that crazy combonation of stuff than a 22cal round or 9mm.

I just think the shotgun is most bang for buck, packs the biggest punch, and is easy to manuever with when considering a long gun.

Oh BTW, I only recommended a PDW for the sake of not having to register an SBR

Rabbit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2012
    Carencro, LA
    Proper training and technique an AR is not hard to maneuver inside a home. It is about the same length as fully extended (controlled and aimed) pistol.

I have yet to hear of anyone that can accurately put multiple shots on target with an AR pistol. I am sure some folks can, I have never had the chance to try one.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom