Thank you to all that have discussed Roku . One step closer to killing cable.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    We now have a Roku on our main television in the living room, and will soon have one on our second TV. Next step is a good antenna to pick up whatever locals we can get and kill the cable completely. Thanks to those of ya'll that have talked about them in the past since that was what made us start looking at them. The more money we can save every month the happier we are. Now for a question though, Can anyone school me on HD antennas? Outdoor, indoor, different signal forms that I have to worry about, Anything at all will be appreciated.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    We were trying to get a Saints game one day and I just ran down and bought an inexpensive HD Antenna at Radio Shack, just to get us by and it ended up working out well enough that we just kept it. I ran it up into the ceiling and we end up getting about 18 channels. Now, a few are Spanish channels and some are local access type channels but we get the main ones that we enjoy watching shows on so that's all we care about.

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    Thanks Mojo and Seventh. We are planning on being off cable completely by the 25th of December and having nothing but over the air, Roku, and Netflix through our Roku boxes. Once we got down to brass tacks to figure out where our money goes it was truly painful to see how much has been spent on channels we don't watch and probably stuff we shouldn't watch anyway since it doesn't do much to help the soul.

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    There is so much quality TV available through the Roku that I find myself only watching Digital TV for the news.
    I thought that Netflix was just movies...boy was i wrong.

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    There is so much quality TV available through the Roku that I find myself only watching Digital TV for the news.
    I thought that Netflix was just movies...boy was i wrong.

Yessir, and that is my primary reason for wanting digital TV is just for the local news. Man the number of stations on that little box are absolutely amazing. And at 8 bucks a month for the digital only Netflix we are way ahead in the money game. And Crackle seems pretty good also. Yeah I'm gonna like that little box.

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Yessir, and that is my primary reason for wanting digital TV is just for the local news. Man the number of stations on that little box are absolutely amazing. And at 8 bucks a month for the digital only Netflix we are way ahead in the money game. And Crackle seems pretty good also. Yeah I'm gonna like that little box.

Yup...mines stuck on the back of the TV with velcro....don't even know it's there..I hope you bought the Roku 2 XS with the ethernet port..you'll want to wire it up directly to receive the best HD picture and high bit rate music. Also if you're going to use it to bring in music and movies from your PC.

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    Yup...mines stuck on the back of the TV with velcro....don't even know it's there..I hope you bought the Roku 2 XS with the ethernet port..you'll want to wire it up directly to receive the best HD picture and high bit rate music. Also if you're going to use it to bring in music and movies from your PC.

Not yet, we actually just got the basic one to try it out, We will get the better unit once we have some fundage.

pepe lepew

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    FWIW, Sony has a blue-ray DVD player with full internet browser built in "Google Chrome", not just apps like Roku.

and also, a streaming box only with "Chrome" .....

Last edited:

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    i wanna do this so bad but there are a few shows that i like to watch and with the way i work i would miss them without a dvr and i haven't convinced myself to give them up yet. netflix doesn't seem to keep current seasons so thats a no go. ive got a smart tv with a bunch of apps on it hulu, vudu, netflix and some others i can't remember off the top of my head. just cant seem to find anyone who offers the current seasons of the shows i like to watch.

joey9139122

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Prairieville, LA
    i wanna do this so bad but there are a few shows that i like to watch and with the way i work i would miss them without a dvr and i haven't convinced myself to give them up yet. netflix doesn't seem to keep current seasons so thats a no go. ive got a smart tv with a bunch of apps on it hulu, vudu, netflix and some others i can't remember off the top of my head. just cant seem to find anyone who offers the current seasons of the shows i like to watch.

I have a ps3 and watch shows like breaking bad a nd walking dead through amazon for $1.99 as they come out and get to watch it on my tv. Works out great.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    I have a ps3 and watch shows like breaking bad a nd walking dead through amazon for $1.99 as they come out and get to watch it on my tv. Works out great.

seems like that would become counter productive pretty quickly. theres about 4-5 shows a week that either myself or the wife dont want to give up. so 5 shows @ $2 is $10 thats $40 a month for that alone.

Top Bottom