The 2013 price gouging rant/vent thread

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    The point is, when the shop owner can't restock as often or as much as he normally can then he is losing money anyway and may very well go out of business and the local guy won't have a place to shop there anyway.

Simple math. Say I can buy 100 rifles a month and sell them for 8% profit and pay the bills. Now, because of the scare I can only find 20-30 a month because all of my distributors are out. I can't make ends meet by selling 20 a month at 8%. If I can go on Gunbroker and list them with a 15% profit (and the bidders are bidding them up to 75% - 100% profit) then what's the smart move as a business owner?

You'll find logic is secondary to complaining

dos gris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008

Your logic on the extra shifts is also incredibly flawed. Extra shifts don't cost me the consumer anything. They also are hurting the makers bottom line and causing them to increase cost. They are paid for by the increased demand. None of the manufacturers you listed would add shifts to make less money...

Not quite sure what you are saying here, it seems contradictory, but extra shifts in skilled manufacturing tend to be run by increasing overtime. That adds to unit costs.

Gotta be difficult to plan production. It all might come to a grinding halt if rifles are banned, or be suddenly slammed into gross oversupply if legislation stalls out.

Like you, I believe that ammo demand is driven by an irrational reaction to gloom in other areas of the firearms market. Increasingly we have had this trend to hoarders who will never shoot their stashes. I doubt people will shoot many of their 5.56 rounds bought at up to $1.50 each.

Last edited:

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    The point is, when the shop owner can't restock as often or as much as he normally can then he is losing money anyway and may very well go out of business and the local guy won't have a place to shop there anyway.

Simple math. Say I can buy 100 rifles a month and sell them for 8% profit and pay the bills. Now, because of the scare I can only find 20-30 a month because all of my distributors are out. I can't make ends meet by selling 20 a month at 8%. If I can go on Gunbroker and list them with a 15% profit (and the bidders are bidding them up to 75% - 100% profit) then what's the smart move as a business owner?

I own several businesses and understand your point. Supply vs. Demand vs. Meeting overhead. My point is there are people snapping everything as it comes in the stores and immediately posting it on the internet for a ridiculous price.

Me. I'm sitting on the sideline in awe. I would not pay these exorbitant prices for ammo/firearms. Things will settle down and the music of hysteria will stop. Everyone will sit in their chairs. Some will be left standing with ammo and firearms they paid way too much for. I'm curious to see the for sale ads for these overpriced weapons in the future as prices return to normal.

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    I own several businesses and understand your point. Supply vs. Demand vs. Meeting overhead. My point is there are people snapping everything as it comes in the stores and immediately posting it on the internet for a ridiculous price.

Me. I'm sitting on the sideline in awe. I would not pay these exorbitant prices for ammo/firearms. Things will settle down and the music of hysteria will stop. Everyone will sit in their chairs. Some will be left standing with ammo and firearms they paid way too much for. I'm curious to see the for sale ads for these overpriced weapons in the future as prices return to normal.

I'm looking forward to it. Might be able to get a 308 ar finally . The market should be flooded if or when it finally happens.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Not quite sure what you are saying here, it seems contradictory, but extra shifts in skilled manufacturing tend to be run by increasing overtime. That adds to unit costs.

Gotta be difficult to plan production. It all might come to a grinding halt if rifles are banned, or be suddenly slammed into gross oversupply if legislation stalls out.

Like you, I believe that ammo demand is driven by an irrational reaction to gloom in other areas of the firearms market. Increasingly we have had this trend to hoarders who will never shoot their stashes. I doubt people will shoot many of their 5.56 rounds bought at up to $1.50 each.

The smart Manufacturers aren't adding a bunch of extra capacity to
    Meet a temporary bubble in demand. With ARs specifically 80-90% of the process is automated. One major manufacturer told me that there response
    To the bubble was simply to run their lower receiver machine an extra 6 hours a day. I do not believe that the increased prices are generated by increased manufacturing cost but rather by Distributors and Retailers capitalizing on a Commodity Market.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell

I Agee 100%. The only things I have purchased are things I would have bought anyway and ONLY when I can find them at regular prices. Ill sit it out and resume buying once things stabilize.

Ske1etor

BOOM! LEGSHOT!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Chacahoula, Louisiana

On the other hand, most gun shops don't sell their entire stock in a few days time. Their profits jumped through the roof until their shelves were bare. I know one shop owner told me that he sold more guns, ammo and accessories in the days after sandy hook than he sold average in any three month period. I know a magazine distributor stated that he sold somewhere around a years worth of mags in six days. Most of these shops are sitting on a nice surplus in their books right now, alienating those who actually keep them running is foolish in my opinion. Sure, it's perfectly legal but I still think it's a poor move. They aren't hurting right now, none of them are.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    On the other hand, most gun shops don't sell their entire stock in a few days time. Their profits jumped through the roof until their shelves were bare. I know one shop owner told me that he sold more guns, ammo and accessories in the days after sandy hook than he sold average in any three month period. I know a magazine distributor stated that he sold somewhere around a years worth of mags in six days. Most of these shops are sitting on a nice surplus in their books right now, alienating those who actually keep them running is foolish in my opinion. Sure, it's perfectly legal but I still think it's a poor move. They aren't hurting right now, none of them are.

I can certainly appreciate your point of view. The shop owners I speak with and know personally are certainly not ready to close their doors but the future is uncertain at best. It's great when you can sell out your inventory in just a few days. Not so great when you cant replace that inventory. Certain firearms and most "non hunting" ammo is hard if not impossible to find at any distributor right now in any quantities. Ordering by the case is next to impossible. Every shop I walk into has almost nothing that I want on the shelves. I certainly dont feel "alienated" by them and I wont hold it against them for trying to keep their shop open however they can.

luv1979

Genesis 27:3
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    I Agee 100%. The only things I have purchased are things I would have bought anyway and ONLY when I can find them at regular prices. Ill sit it out and resume buying once things stabilize.

A add a second 100% agreement! I have chosen to only purchase a few boxes of .22LR and 9mm for taking to the range and that was because I found them at near "normal" prices. As for my 5.56, I had some on hand before this thing got weird and I will chose not to shoot it or shoot it sparingly until things get back to normal.

If others would make the same choice as you and I, there would be no one to pay the crazy prices and the price drop would happen a whole lot faster.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Gents, do not refer to specific threads or items here on bayoushooter. It's not a point that's up for discussion. If it continues this thread will be closed. Don't be that guy...

Sully

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    Sulphur
    This

and

This

I'm looking forward to it. Might be able to get a 308 ar finally . The market should be flooded if or when it finally happens.

:)

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I just hope the craziness settles down before Ivan gets his **** together and ships another boatload of Saigas. We waited all last year to put together a group buy / retrofit build together up here and the rifles never hit our shores. If they hit now, they are going to go for stupid prices and a group buy would be counter productive.

danderson64

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    I'm new on here and am not one to bad mouth others but I will say I have been to Jim's Firearms and all the others in Baton Rouge, Gonzales and Dehnam Springs, and I will not be going back to Jim's. I have went there 3 times in past 2 weeks. They seem as if they hate their jobs and walk right by you. If you want anything that's not behind the gun counter you have to go ask for help. I compared prices and they are significantly higher. Every gun I was interested in was above MSRP and higher then all others I visited. Same with accessories, some as much as 75% higher. Sad because several friends and others I've ran across at different stores had same take on Jim's as I did. Bad service and high prices.

electrode1998

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    MODS!!!!! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE GIVE US THE ABILITY TO POST ON THE CLASSIFIEDS THREADS AGAIN IF ONLY FOR A MONTH OR SO..............

I AM DYING TO LMAO AND RIP INTO SOME OF THESE THREADS THAT ARE BEING POSTED.................some jackwad actually thinks a Colt ar-15 is worth $3800:eek3::eek3::eek3::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

But he does swear it is the "Gold Standard" of ar-15 rifles..................it is a nice one, but Gold Standard???????

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    MODS!!!!! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE GIVE US THE ABILITY TO POST ON THE CLASSIFIEDS THREADS AGAIN IF ONLY FOR A MONTH OR SO..............

I AM DYING TO LMAO AND RIP INTO SOME OF THESE THREADS THAT ARE BEING POSTED.................some jackwad actually thinks a Colt ar-15 is worth $3800:eek3::eek3::eek3::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

But he does swear it is the "Gold Standard" of ar-15 rifles..................it is a nice one, but Gold Standard???????

Which is exactly why we don't. And why I'm shutting this down as well.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dusty84
    Top Bottom