The Art of Concealed Carry...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    Shoulder holsters have very limited applicability

Yeah, but they have such COOL factor. You're right, of course. They must be hot as Hedes in summer time in LA. Hotter than an ankle holster, another bad idea. for a primary.

I've about decided the best way to carry smaller guns is with a low profile IWB that leaves only the butt above the belt, and pull some shirttail out over it to hide. That, or a tuckable.

With the shirttail worn outside the pants, it's still hard to beat IWB with the small guns. But there is a way, and I'm working up the design for a prototype of the Hurricane Draw Rig. Fastest concealed draw you can get, bar none. Hides like a Copperhead in the leaves of autum (now, that's hid). Problem is, I don't know squat about working leather.

Concealing full sized guns, I just dunno. I don't think it can really be done without wearing a coat or large shirt with the tail out.

Last edited:

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    B-dog, do some people really believe a bad guy is going to pick you out during an armed robbery/kidnapping/hijacking because of a bulge under your shirt? What idiots.

lurkerwisp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Very few options fir women who choose to dress to typical tight standards.
    Purse carry is an option, but anything that takes the weapon off the body ch be more easily stolen or left behind. It is however still an option, but one that requires exceptional dedication and discipline.

Isn't that the same risk as carrying a purse at all though? My keys are in there. If they managed to get my purse they'd get my car, my drivers license, credit cards, cell phone and I'd be stranded.

At least I'd still have my pepper spray.

Women can carry with 90% of the outfits I see girls wearing everyday. Get a IWB holster, a pair of pants, and a shirt that covers it. You are done. Its not rocket surgery.

For dresses, you may need to consider off body carry or a small .380 carried... Creatively.

When I absolutely can't carry either of my daily pistols in their holsters I carry a man purse or keep it very close by. Women could do the same. Small camera bags are good cover.

The problem with 90% of what most other women wear is that it's not always work appropriate. Dress pants often don't even have belt loops. While I'd never ever even want to take a gun to work (capitol security'd not like that very much I suspect) most of the clothing I own is increasingly defined by what I can wear there.

A purse sounds like the best general way to go from these responses. Thanks! :) I will keep this in mind for the future.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    B-dog, do some people really believe a bad guy is going to pick you out during an armed robbery/kidnapping/hijacking because of a bulge under your shirt? What idiots.

No, but a soccer mom will cry gun to the popo in a heartbeat. Saves you a little heartache.

Also, while maybe permitted, not everyone has such a welcoming work place as you.

Out of sight out of mind. ;)

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Whew. Good thing I don't date soccer moms. And I thought hanging around you guys was going to get me in trouble. Its the SOCCER MOMS that you have to look out for.

Just kidding with you B. Getting the extra bedrooms ready for you and 2 others. It is going to be a bayoushooter slumber party.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Whew. Good thing I don't date soccer moms. And I thought hanging around you guys was going to get me in trouble. Its the SOCCER MOMS that you have to look out for.

Just kidding with you B. Getting the extra bedrooms ready for you and 2 others. It is going to be a bayoushooter slumber party.

You definitely do not date soccer moms. More like powder puff football players.

Can, t wait to play dress up and do our hair.

Leethar

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    So how much does a basic CCW course cover?

I would like to have a chance to go over multiple methods of carry, maybe practice with a few different types of clothing and holsters. Do basic courses allow that? I mean, it's real nice to get opinions online and all, but it seems like being able to actually go over in person the different options would help a lot.

It seems like body type and personal preferences might be a huge factor, etc.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    So how much does a basic CCW course cover?

I would like to have a chance to go over multiple methods of carry, maybe practice with a few different types of clothing and holsters. Do basic courses allow that? I mean, it's real nice to get opinions online and all, but it seems like being able to actually go over in person the different options would help a lot.

It seems like body type and personal preferences might be a huge factor, etc.

Most will not. I do offer a 2 hour personal training session as a prep to the chp course. We can tailor if to whatever you want to work on.

Morgan Allison

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Houma
    I generally use a SmartCarry holster. It's incredibly comfortable and well concealed. I can wear it with anything: dress suits, firefighter uniform, shorts and t-shirt, doesn't matter. Drawback is that it's slow on the draw.

Sometimes I go with a J Frame in a pocket holster, but it doesn't work with all of my pants, especially my dress pants. I use it when I'm worried, because I like being able to have my hand on my gun while it's still concealed.

With the SmartCarry, I do that too, sometimes, if in "condition orange," but having my hand down my pants does look a little... odd. It still doesn't look like I've got a weapon, just looks like I'm very uncoothly "adjusting" myself or something. Under certain circumstances, I just don't care about that, though.

I tried IWB and can't do it. I sure wish I could. I have a sciatic nerve problem or something. Any IWB carry has me crippled by the end of the day. Everybody is different, I guess. Different builds, different needs, etc. It took me a year or so to settle on a solution for myself. I think you just have to keep trying different things until you find what works for you.

Last edited:

Asc.rudeboy

Walmitfahrer tactical#103
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    i use a maxpedition,colossus to carry wile im at work,,itll carry my g21+ 3mags and all my nick nack bs i bring with me everyday to work including 2 flash lights,multitool and my captain lic.
    http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=4&idproduct=379

but the jumbo is a lot more comfortable for EDC,and i find you can draw from concealed faster..but ive yet to take it on a full days walk about..so i cant give a complete review yet.but so far it like it better then the colossus
    http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=4&idproduct=6

Top Bottom