The auto bailout saved Ford?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA

stancel

Swamp Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Carriere, MS
    One thing is for absolute sure. I will NEVER buy another new Chevy, Chrysler or Ford vehicle. EVER!! They steal from our children and American's reward them by buying their garbage. If we had a citizenry that could see past the nose on their faces, we would have driven them out of business ourselves by not buying their junk.

stancel

Swamp Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Carriere, MS
    Ford didn't take bailout money.

No, but not because the sorry pieces of sh*t didn't try! They just weren't given it.

Actually, what Ford did was even worse. They tried to flees the American taxpayers by taking money that they didn't even need. They just tried to steal the money out of pure greed. At least Chevy and Chrysler did it out of desperation.

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I agree on the above about Ford. They were THE shining light in the whole bailout mess and did not become motors.gov.

But they do have a feduciary responsibility to their stockholders and if Uncle Samuel is gonna hand you a research grant, you'd be irresponsible to your stockholders not to grab it.

Just my .02, but they did it right, and it was one reason even before cash for clunkers that Fords sales went up. And have stayed there.

stancel

Swamp Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Carriere, MS
    Ford sought a 9 billion dollar line of credit with a stipulation it may not draw it down. An additional 5 billion for energy research and development was not bailout money, but for R&D of energy efficient vehicles. Different issue. Ford has good automobiles and clean hands concerning the bailouts.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122823078705672467.html

So if you start a business and want to develop a product, you think the government will bankroll it for you?? Why are we, the tax paying public, paying to develop new technology that Ford, Chevy and Chrysler will then sell back to me for a profit? Am I going crazy or something. Do yall really think this is OK?? Seriously?

And sorry bud, I watched every minute of the the hearings with the car manufacturer's. Ford WAS asking for money. PERIOD. And if they want a loan, they can go to a bank.....like everybody else!! When did yall become so liberal with your hard earned money that it became ok for the government to hand it out in any form, loan or otherwise, to a privately owned corporation....for any reason. That is certainly not how capitalism was supposed to work. And it certainly isn't how a free market was supposed to operate.

A quick article for all you Ford cheerleaders out there:

Written by Bertel Schmitt

Wasn’t Ford proud of not having stuffed themselves from the Great American Bailout Buffet? That didn’t stop them from (quietly) asking the Germans for money. And the answer is …

Nein.

You guessed it. Ford Cologne had applied for a $250m loan to the European Investment Bank (EIB). The EIB has “green” money, so officially, the loan was for building a factory that makes environmentally friendly three cylinder engines.

That factory is planned for Cologne. The EIB wants a loan guarantee, and that would have to come form the German government. Germany’s Handelsblatt laid its hands on the written answer of the German Wirtschaftsministerium (Ministry of Economics). “In light of the improved economic climate and the improved financial strength of Ford, there are no more reasons to support the carmaker,” says the paper from Rainer Brüderle’s ministry. Ford should build the factory with its own Money, recommends Berlin.

Last edited:

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I can't prove a negative, and neither can you. So why are we going to even pursue that line of conversation?

I'm almost certain they would. My point was that not buying from a company based on the board members' ethics makes no sense. What they want isn't necessarily what the company does and not what your money goes towards.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    No, but not because the sorry pieces of sh*t didn't try! They just weren't given it.

Actually, what Ford did was even worse. They tried to flees the American taxpayers by taking money that they didn't even need. They just tried to steal the money out of pure greed. At least Chevy and Chrysler did it out of desperation.

Dude, Ford was eligible for gov't money and turned it down because they didn't like the stipulations, and told Obama they'd make it on their own.

Who cares if they applied for a loan from a German bank? Anyone here ever take out a loan?

*raises hand*

Baldrik78

Misanthrope Savant
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Wait...so since Ford asked a line of credit (that it did not use) when other companies took massive amounts of bailout money and because they tried to take out a loan to build a new factory and the German goverment would not gauruntee it...they deserve all of your seething hatred?

Moutain, molehill, etc.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I voluntarily left Ford for a reason; a damned good series of reasons, actually.

For those who are enamoured with Ford Motor Company check out the website www.thetruthaboutcars.com where you have current and former engineers and business hacks of the Big Three commenting anonymously.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Ford has poured large amounts of money into engine R&D which has paid off. How about a 6 cyl naturally aspirated with 305 hp and 32 mpg? It will be available in an F150. V8 with 412 hp and 26 mpg. I drove a new F250 turbo diesel yesterday. Lots of power, good fuel mileage and you couldn't hear the engine with the radio off and the ac turned down. It sounded like a gas engine from the outside. More than 30 new powerplants. Ford will continue to do well because it is making better vehicles. I wish I had not sold my interest in the ford dealership.

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    You think Toyota and Honda wouldn't ask for money if our gov't was handing it out to everyone?

I am only speculating here, but I would be willing to guess that they have already received taxpayer monies from the states they are located in the form of tax credits or tax exemptions for equipment purchases. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom