The average CCW issue time?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sig66

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2016
    NOLA Westbank
    Wow, this online thing sounds like the way to go. I wish we'd known about that option.

My wife mailed her paperwork to the state on Jan 24th, and didn't get it back until Oct 9th!! I mailed mine off in June 24th, so if I'm lucky, I'll get mine in March or April.

As stated above, that's very pathetic!

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    Wow, this online thing sounds like the way to go. I wish we'd known about that option.
    My wife mailed her paperwork to the state on Jan 24th, and didn't get it back until Oct 9th!! I mailed mine off in June 24th, so if I'm lucky, I'll get mine in March or April.
    As stated above, that's very pathetic!
    The online option is not a magic cure-all. I did a simple RENEWAL online August 6, and have heard NOTHING yet. Almost 3 months so far, and still waiting...

Sig66

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2016
    NOLA Westbank
    The online option is not a magic cure-all. I did a simple RENEWAL online August 6, and have heard NOTHING yet. Almost 3 months so far, and still waiting...

Obviously, a very erratic process at best, which is very frustrating. With the oil industry down here being what it is, the state is hurting for money, so there's no telling how long it will be before this dept gets back to normal. Hell, at this point, I'd pay a little extra, for some kind of expedited service, but I know that's wishful thinking.

BDill

What's This For Again
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 28, 2016
    Destrehan, LA
    Obviously, a very erratic process at best, which is very frustrating. With the oil industry down here being what it is, the state is hurting for money, so there's no telling how long it will be before this dept gets back to normal. Hell, at this point, I'd pay a little extra, for some kind of expedited service, but I know that's wishful thinking.
    it is very erratic. no rime or reason for the skipping around and processing certain apps. Wish i would have done the lifetime at this point. may have to start the renewal process a year in advance.

Ricardo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm not usually one to ascribe to conspiracy theories, but I think they will shuffle apps around based on any number of reasons. If someone calls asking about how long it's taking or if they just don't like the style of handwriting. (In the case of handwritten apps.)

That's the problem with the paper app. You're at the mercy of the person sitting in the chair at the time. They're not really in a hurry to get through the pile.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    3 days from submission to approval (online) and had permit in hand on 7th day.

I do not know why I was processed so quickly, other than they may not have needed to do a background check or it was dramatically accelerated due to other background checks that have been run on me.

YMMV

Last edited:

Ricardo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    They may not be, but doesn't the law actually state a time frame that the State is suppose to complete an application?

It doesn't actually specify a deadline.

[FONT=&quot]*Timely and without delay* [/FONT][FONT=&quot](La. Rev. Stat. § 40.1379.3(H)(2))

Is how it reads.

Several states do, but Louisiana is one of them that does not.[/FONT]

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish

It doesn't actually specify a deadline.

[FONT="]*Timely and without delay* [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT="](La. Rev. Stat. § 40.1379.3(H)(2))

Is how it reads.

Several states do, but Louisiana is one of them that does not.[/FONT]

Paperwork they hand out states 120/140days (don't have it in front of me now) which I assumed was part of the law considering its placement. I stand corrected.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    3 days from submission to approval (online) and had permit in hand on 7th day.

I do not know why I was processed so quickly, other than they may not have needed to do a background check or it was dramatically accelerated due to other background checks that have been run on me.

YMMV

Same here. I do work for alphabet agencies and have had many background checks run on me. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I emailed them a couple weeks ago and today I got an email saying that they have been behind and are now working on April applications.

Wow. I must have skipped a huge number of people then. I figured the backlog was a couple of months. I wish I knew what the magic formula was for sure though.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    4/14/16 - Online submitted
    4/16/16 - Prints delivered
    9/28/2016 - Accepted and Paid
    11/16/16 - Emailed LSP
    11/17/16 - APPROVED

Wow, just wow. Since 9/1/16 I had called a minimum of 3 times a week. One email and within hours... bingo.

Jlately

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    River Ridge
    11/19- Class, online application submitted.
    11/23- Submitted prints at LSP headquarters, paid.
    11/28- Approved email.
    12/2- Permit in hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    [FONT=&amp]Wife's Timeline
    March 2nd - Application Submitted Online[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]March 15th - Local PD fingerprints mailed[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]July 25th - approval email[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]July 28th - 128 dollars paid - taken from account[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Nov 16th - Requested Status from LSP via E-mail to [/FONT]concealed.handguns@dps.la.gov
    [FONT=&amp]Nov 16th - Received notification permit being sent and approved[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Nov 28th - Permit Received

Also had a student get his (ex-military) in 9 days total. [/FONT]

crjlavergne

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2016
    Broussard
    Timeline for myself
    Nov 12 took ccw class
    Nov 14 filled out online application
    Nov 15 email for lsp saying app was accepted few mins later another email about fingerprints need to be in within a certain about of time.
    Nov 16 payment email sent and paid for same day
    Nov 17 went to State police hq and did fingerprints thier
    Nov 21 email was sent stating was app was approved and should be getting permit within 10-15 business days
    Nov 30 received permit in mail.

Ricardo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    As far as I know they have to mail you a letter explaining why you were denied if it's not approved. If you get zero correspondence after a reasonable amount of time, then call or e-mail them. The thing is, they were backlogged a lot. Some people's CHP was taking up to 10 months for approval. That's an extremely long time for a process that should take maybe a month.

I'm still waiting on mine, but it's only been 3 months; so I guess I'll just have to sit and wait.

Top Bottom