The average CCW issue time?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    Delivery confirmation for my renewal packet was 1/31, Called last week of Feb. and they said it wasn't in the system yet. Called back two weeks ago and it was "processing". Going on 8 weeks and I hope it arrives soon, my old one expired on 3/11. When I initially called prior to my renewal class in mid Jan I was told 30-45 days, I guess that's the time to start processing LOL. Oh well, patience...

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I just called today. It started processing on 01/31 and she told me this afternoon I should be looking to get it back within 30 days. That it was almost "done"

muaddib721

LA. CHP Instructor #530
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Orleans, LA.
    LSP Concealed Handgun Unit is at 7919 Independence Blvd, Baton Rouge 70806. They charge $10 for finger prints but it must be in a separate money order from the $125 that you send to Louisiana Department of Safety and Corrections. Getting your prints done there is the quickest way to get your permit. If you went to BR and haven't received your permit it is probably due to one of the following:

1) LSP is checking your previous address info
    2) you have had a divorce in your past and they are checking that paperwork
    3) You had a previous arrest and they are investigating your paper work that shows it was cleared
    4) You had to fill out the medical form due to a history of mental defect, etc.

If you due have to mail in your prints make sure you get them done digitally. Ink finger prints can get distorted due to the mail sorting machines used by the USPS.

blake716

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Gonzales
    I dropped off my paperwork on February 1st. They told me 100-120 days when I dropped it off.

I just called to check the status and she told me that it's processing and I should receive it in 30-45 days.

So far, I've been waiting for 2 months and 2 days.

Oh well, it is what it is. I know LSP is really busy trying to get the rush of permits through the system.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Delivery confirmation for my renewal packet was 1/31, Called last week of Feb. and they said it wasn't in the system yet. Called back two weeks ago and it was "processing". Going on 8 weeks and I hope it arrives soon, my old one expired on 3/11. When I initially called prior to my renewal class in mid Jan I was told 30-45 days, I guess that's the time to start processing LOL. Oh well, patience...
    In January they were processing a normal amount of 1000 permits per month. They are probably doing 3-4k/month right now. That also does not include the influx of class III paperwork coming in.

Ardo09203

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    I mailed my packet in on Dec 20th. I was told they started processing it on Jan 29th (that alone illustrates how much of a back log they were running). I called yesterday 4/3 and was told another 30-45 days ( Which is what they said about 75 days ago) so who knows the actual processing time.

I did however make the mistake of mailing in my info and getting ink prints done which I suspect is the hold up seeing how one girl I know went to baton rouge (after I mailed my info in) and had the prints done there and had her permit back within 3 weeks. She also just moved to Louisiana no less, so i know they had to pull her Texas info!

I will say that I was in the process of getting my FFL at the time of applying for my ccw so that may have slowed the background down a bit. But since I now have the FFL I know there is no problem with my background.

Northshoreboar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Madisonville
    In January they were processing a normal amount of 1000 permits per month. They are probably doing 3-4k/month right now. That also does not include the influx of class III paperwork coming in.
    Quick sponsor note: took my class from Bearco in Covington a couple of months ago and was impressed. Very professional.

Last edited:

luv1979

Genesis 27:3
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    I should have everything in the mail tomorrow. The only thing I have that will slow my application down (beyond the now "normal" backlog delay) is that I had to list 7 addresses for the past 15 years.

Anyone have any idea how long that might delay the processing of my application beyond the "normal" time?

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Just called I'm not in the system:
    Originally submitted Nov, by the time it was processed it had been longer than 60 days since being notarized so it got kicked back to us. Resubmitted by Jan 15 (after resolving a fingerprint issue also) and now we are not in the system, nothing!

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    Take a day off work, drive up there with the copies of everything in your application pack and get your stuff renotarized and digital fingerprint. You'll be MUCH better off than retrying it this way (mail).

bayougump

I'm not a smart man
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Take a day off work, drive up there with the copies of everything in your application pack and get your stuff renotarized and digital fingerprint. You'll be MUCH better off than retrying it this way (mail).

I mailed mine in 2 weeks ago. I would have gone in person had I'd known earlier that going in person was much faster. If I were to get my app notarized again and go get fingerprints done digitally, would they ask for another $125 payment again you think?

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    would they ask for another $125 payment again you think?

That I do not know. I'm not sure what constitutes using the fee, whether its a simple denial of permit, or reprocessing (especially due to their delay) or what. I'd say bring the extra cash with you but make every effort to get your other original money used first.

Anyone else have any knowledge of this issue?

kae6511

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    I brought mine to BR mid Jan and I'm still waiting.

glad to see im not the only one still waiting I dropped mine off feb 11 and still don't have mine. not sure of having my background check and other stuff done for the new job at the sheriffs office affected the process making it longer

dydog4566

LA CHP Instructor # 411
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Greenwell Springs,LA
    CCW issue time

The State Police website has posted a notice that states due to current volume it could take up to 120 days. Each case is different and factors like criminal history, divorces, break in residency will add to the process. Renewals are quick , if you don't let it lapse.
    Hope this helps.......I would'nt get antsy until close to the 120 days being up.

Berettashot117

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    Shreveport
    Sent mine in in October, had it sent back because the background color for the picture was wrong, sent the new packet back in December, just called and Wendy says 3-4 more weeks. So from the time I sent it in with a new picture to the ETA is approx 135 days

bayougump

I'm not a smart man
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Got mine yesterday. Dropped it off on Feb 11th at the LSP office and did the finger printing there. Came to the house in exactly 60 days.

Wow, that's pretty fast. I wish I would had known about the speedier process of dropping the application off and fingerprinting at LSP before I mailed mine in, have feeling I am gonna be looking at June/July now, lol

Cypher Spider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Lafayette
    Got mine in the mail yesterday. First time applicant and lived in three sates in the last 15 years; so this would slow down background report. Never divorced, no health issues, and no arrests; so this should not affect background report time. Went to Baton Rouge on Feb 26 in and out in about an hour, and they were busy that day. Permit issued on April 2 mailed, on April 9. So 6 weeks from application to permit with a holiday weekend. Even factoring in drive time and gas costs I would say going to Baton Rouge is the way to go.

Top Bottom