The Great Sharpshooters I have met

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Leesville Louisiana
    The most difficult shots I have ever seen start with when I was 7 years old with Col Larsen the Marlin Man he took a Marlin 39 22 and shot a bullet through a Lifesaver candy and put out the flame of a candle. Bobby Corbit our school star basketball player in Magazine Arkansas held the Lifesaver in his fingers. there was a slight chip in the candy..I know this because Col Larsen tossed it to me and I looked at it just before I ate it.

The late Michael Blackburn could hit a had tossed BB in the air with a Winchester 94/22 I got to meet him at an Alexandria gun show and found him to be a true gentleman.

I would seem that all of those who shot the Top Gun Challenge were world class shooters thanks to Mr King that invented the Black Death target. Now thats a hard 22 target with a sporter. That game makes you good.

My two most difficult shots other than the Black Death target is to split a playing card with a 22 hand gun and rifle with iron sights and to bench shoot 12 guage hulls at 200 yards with an Anshutz Sporter 22. I have taught others to do that.

Lou Ellison my rifle mentor shot 11 live flys with a 22 at 50 yards before one sidestepped and also shot 1472 Prairie Dogs out of 1500 rounds in one week end. Shooting a 22 hornet, 223, 22-250.

My rifle coach in the Army was a Sgt Major from Samoa he had the longest kill with iron sights in Nam 1300 yards. He told me the bullet struck his collar bone and came out his butt cheek so was the arc of trajectory. M-14

Ive seen three good archery shots, A Robin Hood in compitition at Ft Polk at 50 yards, Luke Parker, a head shot on a wild turkey Kade Parker at age 13, and a head shot crow by Dave Miller. I once found I was the first to spilt a card with a crossbow arrow officially American Crossbow Federation.

Jim Callaway can hit a 8 X 10 card at 200 with a 1911 with one hand. Ft Polk Range Master. He actully thinks Im a pretty good shot. The greatist range master is Pop Hymes at Natchitoches.

Ray Sitz shot a 30-06 case at 200 and consistantly shoots golf balls at 300 with a 270.

There are others I know in this state help me out here.:)

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    I can hit the broad side of a barn at point-blank range! Hey that's with a sawed-off shotgun, both eyes open, and assistance getting pointed in the correct direction.

Uncle John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Leesville Louisiana
    You actually believed the "collar bone to buttcheek" claim?

:|

Yes I saw no reason for him to lie. He fired twice and he had a spotter.
    I have fired many tracer rounds with an M-60 machine gun so the trajectory arc would be about right, but you go figure. According to the story they saw two VC one had an AK, the first shot went low in the rice paddy and hit water. He compensated and made the hit.

Uncle John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Leesville Louisiana
    Maybe after the first round struck low, he was no longer standing upright. That would explain the bullet path. Could have been stooped down and leaning forward.

That might be, everyone knew the story. It was 1981 on the Ft Ord range I had just shot an unofficial world record with the M-16 and he brought me the target plug with all 10 shots at 100 meters off hand. The match had been rained out and the target didnt count. So I asked him to tell me the story and he did, I figured I earned the right to ask him.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    I just don't expect there to be much velocity to a .30 cal bullet after 1300 yards to be able to achieve some 36" of flesh penetration or so. That much penetration would require that it's still stabilized, I would think, and not tumbling.

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    It was probably a 149gr or 146gr bullet but still thats way to much penetration. I also have never seen a .308 round make a 90 degree plunge at the end of its trajectory.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom