The mission is complete. We are now cable free.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    We called yesterday and cut the cable. Running nothing but Roku boxes with a netflix subscription, and what we pull off the air. Congratulatory pat on the back given by myself and that is all.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Nothing like Free Gubinment TV:}

Cogradulations....I been doing "FREE" TV for a couple of years:}

During Lent I usually give up TV all together... hummmmm....Giving up TV may be a great New Years resolution:} Going to watch the "Bounce" channel and think about that!

Check out the "Bounce Channel" :}

thagpxw8pgscbpsxjrz.jpg
    9frt2c2pr45mue6ndm87.jpg

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Another subscriber loss, another buck from my paycheck and food taken out of my kid's mouth. Thanks. /sarcasm :)

Lowbrow

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    New Orleans
    Congrats. We did the same thing a little over a year ago (got a Roku just before Christmas last year). Netflix usually has something for everyone. Besides that, the antenna gets us MeTV and the news. That's about all we need. Much better than paying exorbitant amounts for channels we don't watch - and probably shouldn't be watching.

They don't call it "programming" for nothing.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Check out 'Fire with Fire'

New Indy film with Bruce Willis and some other folks. Pretty good movie on Netflix right now.

Also you should add the Netflix Instant Watcher Channel on Roku. It helps keep up to date with all new Releases on Netflix etc.

This website is also a must keep;
    http://instantwatcher.com/

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Good deal.

I haven't had cable for 3-4 years now. I have Netflix through the xbox360, and that's all. When my son's allowed to have cartoon time, he can watch the best stuff from over 3 decades, rather than just accepting whatever trash is on at the moment.

...and I get to rewatch all the favorites from my childhood, too :P

I have a small mini-sized PC hooked up to the TV as well, for random stuff and any time I want to watch internet stuff, like when Baseball is on. I don't have the time to watch many sports, so I focus on just one mostly, and Baseball is my poison. I get a MLB.com subscription for like $90/year or something, and get live games all season (and pre season, and post season) anywhere I can login (TV, tablet, computer) so it's well worth it for someone who watches/listens to a lot of Baseball.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Yes but it adds a few bucks to mine, It's a dog eat dog world man. :)

Ain't no sweat their chief. Everyone still needs broadband to do what you did. :)

I wouldn't put it past all Broadband carriers to start charging a surcharge for video streaming or start adding data caps.

Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Ain't no sweat their chief. Everyone still needs broadband to do what you did. :)

I wouldn't put it past all Broadband carriers to start charging a surcharge for video streaming or start adding data caps.
    I remember some ISPs trying the data cap thing a while back and it failing. I have no idea how it could fail, but it certainly didn't seem to catch on.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Our 8yr old 50" DLP finally gave it up about two months ago. I put it on the curb and canceled cable the next day. My wife and I will go catch a movie from time to time for a date night, but we've really enjoyed getting back to being home without the distractions and mind numbing effects of today's "programming". I get more done when I'm home, she is reading up to 6 books a week, and we converse for lengths of time reminiscent of our days when we were dating.

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    Scott, did you get the weingard antenna? Getting ready to cut the cable as well. I think we will keep the phone and internet of course. Got a smart tv for christmas, netflix streaming is awesome!

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Our 8yr old 50" DLP finally gave it up about two months ago. I put it on the curb and canceled cable the next day. My wife and I will go catch a movie from time to time for a date night, but we've really enjoyed getting back to being home without the distractions and mind numbing effects of today's "programming". I get more done when I'm home, she is reading up to 6 books a week, and we converse for lengths of time reminiscent of our days when we were dating.
    That's nice to hear :)

I read a **** load more, as well. I'm a bachelor and father, and I find that my son benefits from the lack of TV a lot. He's 5, so he's in a very intellectually developmental stage where it benefits him more to have me working with him and teaching him things. He's big into being a "science man" right now because of the hikes where we do leaf, seed, mushroom collecting, and he's taken to bug collecting on his own. At night we talk about the solar system... even if I'm still pissed about the whole Pluto ordeal... Seriously, dinosaurs are mostly feathered, Pluto isn't a planet, Triceratops was actually a baby Torosaurus, Brontosaurs was a made-up dinosaur assembled from multiple species by a fossil-hunter competing for more 'finds' than another fossil-hunter, and Pluto isn't a planet - could they seriously screw up my childhood any more?! The other day we made a paper-mache volcano and did the baking powder + vinegar thing, and talked about lava and how it gets up to the surface. He's an eager learner right now so I figure I better take advantage of it while it lasts.

Anyways, uh, rant aside, my son and I are both better people by getting mass-TV out of the house. I still take him to the movies for the occasional flick, but I use it as a reward incentive for good behavior.

I read on my tablet with the Kindle app, and have been devouring books, though less-so recently with holiday busyness. Quality of life improves without TV.

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area

True enough, and it will probably start happening but until then I will be a happy camper. And sorry if you didn't catch the sarcasm in that post, it was implied but I transfer it very poorly here.

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    Scott, did you get the weingard antenna? Getting ready to cut the cable as well. I think we will keep the phone and internet of course. Got a smart tv for christmas, netflix streaming is awesome!

Actually we went with a Antennas Direct clearstream 1 seems to be working just fine for me but I havent had the time yet to put it on the pole outside so it is just sitting on the bookshelf and getting what it can inside the house.

DAUC

running from safety
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    NOLA
    I am about to move to the other side of my double and have honestly been looking forward to not paying for cable and not just sitting in front of the TV for hours for no reason. I have been considering going with hd antenna, netflix, and getting a cable to hook my computer up to the tv. That should be plenty.

I am also getting a puppy and renovating, so I know my time and money will be better spent elsewhere. I might need to look up some of the past threads to get some more ideas.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    TV "FREE" I like DAT me!

Here is the link from where I obtained my outdoor TV antenna

I live near the Tickfaw State Park here in Lizard Creek and I have access to New Orleans, Baton Roach and Lafayette stations on this $34.19 antenna. 46 total channels if I recall

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDTV-Outdoor-Amplified-Antenna-HD-TV-38dB-Rotor-Remote-360-UHF-VHF-FM-150-Miles-/140897013217?pt=US_Antennas_Dishes&hash=item20ce1dcde1

Just an FYI...Also antenna has remote to control the rotor motor.
    See pic below it's approx 15' off the ground attached to the side of the house nothing fancy:}

fo7eha69unlnwsh5mxc.jpg

Top Bottom