The risk of going to a Mardi Gras parade

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I live and work in NOLA. I dream of moving or retiring to the "country" one day. The reality is, I live and work here. My son's school is here and my wife's business is here too. We just bought a house here too. We make the best of what the city gives us. We avoid places that are obviously suspect and always aware of our surroundings no matter were we are. We're always prepared and conscious of everything. Most importantly.....we R E L A X throughout everything else. I'm not going to let anything or anyone stop me from doing what I have to or want to do. I don't live in fear and don't plan on doing so no matter where I am. I do my homework and stay prepared so I don't have to worry about whatever everyone else is worried about.

Spoken like a man who really knows and understands New Orleans!:hi5:

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I just hated fighting the traffic to get my wife to work in Quarter area. I was working in the same same area this weekend. My main fears were getting into an accident or some drunk walking in front of the car. I did not witness anything really bad. It was just the usual stupid drunks doing things like walking in the street instead of the sidewalk.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Was in the Marigny from 7am till 3pm yesterday. No issues at all. As the saying goes, "When in Rome..." If you were in plain clothes, you didn't fit in.

My rule of thumb for the city: Don't travel in a group any less than five.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    I went to work one morning, in Baton Rouge, small office on Perkins Road. While pouring a cup of coffee guy walks in , says nothing and shoots me. So....I'm going to be scared and not go to my office! Stay inside house all day! No way!
    I'm at my office typing this right now. I refuse to let fear and creeps rule my life. I have a strong faith in the Lord and now a 38 special in my pocket! And I go to Mardi Gras and New Orleans whenever I want to. No fear of criminals is going to keep me away from a Parkway Bakery, roast beef po-boy.
    Gary

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    The last time I checked... New Orleans wasn't downtown Fallujah. When did going downtown become the old west? Or at least from reading the opinions here. I mean, trust your instincts and what you know... if you normally wouldn't travel to the projects for a walk and fresh air, I wouldn't necessarily attend a parade there.

I mean after reading some of these posts, I'm surprised the readers don't think you're playing russian roulette two seconds after you exit your vehicle. Come on people.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Yeah it's lent now, but the paranoia in here is a little ridiculous. Sure there are seedier areas to avoid along any given parade route, but generally it's safe. If you are on a route and you don't like the people around you, walk down a half a block and find a new spot. As with anything in public, you should be aware of your surroundings, but you should have a good time.

Next year take your girlfriend.

TheLawson

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    New Orleans
    Some of you guys on this forum just need to get out more. Take your girlfriend to some Metairie parades and have fun. Announce where you'll be on here and those of us riding (like me) will throw you a ton of great ****. I would avoid downtown parades, not because I think I'll get shot / stabbed / whatever, I just don't want to deal with parking and being that crowded.

Stop being paranoid, take your girlfriend and have a great time next year... Unless she leaves you because you are afraid to leave the house.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    If y'all think Mardi Gras in New Orleans is bad (it really isn't), then you should check out Bayou Classic just one time in your life. I have to admit, that is the only time I avoid downtown NOLA. The rest of the year I go in fearless. I work in the French Quarter and it's gotten pretty bad down there but I still have to work and nothing is going to stop me from putting food on the table, roof over our heads and money in the bank. Better yet, y'all think N'awlins is bad? Go to Chicago!

Last edited:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I would avoid downtown parades, not because I think I'll get shot / stabbed / whatever, I just don't want to deal with parking and being that crowded.

Exactly. Getting assaulted or murdered is not the concern. It's just a PIA to get down there and park, and I don't want the beads. But it's a great opportunity to drink some beer with friends.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Like what Jade and Cujo have said...go have fun if your wife/girlfriend wants to go..its not a deadly thing and everybody should try it at once or a bunch of times till you possibly get tired of it. Some folks never tire of it and love it!! I have never felt in danger for my life or my family-- just got tired of the traffic/parking/lewdness (well, at least when i had kids around ;)) and such. Take her next time and don't fear for your safety so much and try to enjoy it.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    At last, several doses of common sense and rational thought have entered this thread! I live in New Orleans and it is not a war zone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom