This! 15 yr old girl tells the facts @ gun control and violence in the US.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trout25red

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Best Bank
    Wow...I hope I can raise my daughter to be like that.
    I can't agree more. I would love to see a sticky thread from people with ways to introduce children into shooting. My daughter is 3 years old, and I would like to know ways to properly get her involved at some point. I am new to shooting myself, so I don't even know where to start with this. I was a competitive golfer and a charter fisherman, and I want to teach her more than just how to hit a white ball accurately and catch speckled trout and redfish.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Why is it okay for people on our side to use their children to make a point but when the other side does it people get mad?

She's 15. She doesn't understand one way or the other what's going on in the world of politics. Mom and dad wrote an essay for her to read and she read it. It doesn't mean she feels the way she does it means people are taking advantage of someone's youth and innocence to trigger an emotional reaction.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I can't agree more. I would love to see a sticky thread from people with ways to introduce children into shooting. My daughter is 3 years old, and I would like to know ways to properly get her involved at some point. I am new to shooting myself, so I don't even know where to start with this. I was a competitive golfer and a charter fisherman, and I want to teach her more than just how to hit a white ball accurately and catch speckled trout and redfish.

Well three is awfully young. Just make sure that every time she see's you with a gun, you are practicing proper safety rules. Them little boogers see everything.

Once they get around 5, 6, 7 their Maturity can vary. But around that age they are capable of understanding that the pull of the trigger means something comes out the barrel. That something can hurt you bad so it's important that they remember that and practice proper safety in order not to hurt themselves.

I bought my son a BB gun and cut the stock in half. We set up a pyramid of Solo Cups and shooting it caused them to fall down. It is an easy target and helps to show that when you pull the trigger, something flies out the barrel and destroys what it hits. I think this is important and it's also something a 3 year old and sometimes a 5 year old might not fully grasp.

DO NOT WORRY about hitting Bull's Eyes. They could care less at this point. They also usually don't grasp lining up the sights etc so don't push that stuff.(Sweating the details) When they are old enough to ask, "Hey, why can't I hit the target" or get frustrated b/c they miss it, then they are probably capable of being explained what aiming is.

Something else that helped my son learn the basic dynamics of pull trigger something comes out fast is letting him shoot Decoys floating in the pond. Doing this allowed him to watch the BB fly. It sort of clicked with him from then on that this was a big responsibility. He also sees the difference in my demeanor when we have the guns out of their storage areas. He see's Dad become very attentive and instructional.

He'll be 7 soon so I'm no expert. But that's how I socialize him to guns. Same way my Dad did us(Brother). We never went banana's over showing our friends our guns b/c we were shooting them every weekend just about. No big deal. The thought of showing them off never crossed out minds.

Plus we had a healthy fear of what would be the result of our disobedience, forged properly by my father’s belt. We knew that if we were to take it upon our self to remove guns from where they were stored, Pop would end..our..ass…...and mom would not play savior, when it came to this kind of disobedience.

Last edited:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana

www.louisianashooting.com

Join up and enroll her in our junior program when she gets old enough. We have a few juniors who have earned full paid scholarships through their shooting abilities. In the mean time, you're welcome to come out and enjoy the fun so you can coach her along with you.

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    Why is it okay for people on our side to use their children to make a point but when the other side does it people get mad?

Did u have some specific examples in mind? Gun side "uses" (i use this term loosely for now) a 15 yr old...anti-gun side "uses" ?

She's 15. She doesn't understand one way or the other what's going on in the world of politics.

Speculation on your part.

Mom and dad wrote an essay for her to read and she read it. It doesn't mean she feels the way she does it means people are taking advantage of someone's youth and innocence to trigger an emotional reaction.

More speculation.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

She's 15. She doesn't understand one way or the other what's going on in the world of politics. Mom and dad wrote an essay for her to read and she read it. It doesn't mean she feels the way she does it means people are taking advantage of someone's youth and innocence to trigger an emotional reaction.

Because pro-gun people's children are less likely to grow up and become morons that believe in restrictions on liberties as a tenet.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana

As she states in the video, she's been shooting competition for the last 8 years and is currently looking at a full scholarship for college because of it. That would lead me to believe she is WELL versed in firearm safety, responsibility, and use at a level much higher than your average citizen. As a representative of the youth of the shooting community, the statistics that she highlighted can be validated and researched if her experience were to come into question. Her message is simple, to the point, and did not sound that it was written to stir an emotional response but rather a common sense one. Pending her credentials are true, I would take her message to heart well before that of the paid actors that Bloomberg has in his commercials.....at the very least.

Last edited:

trout25red

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Best Bank
    Thanks Hitman and Ritten. I have 2 nephews, ages 9 and 14, who shoot air rifles in my backyard. The 14 year old goes to the range with me, and he is a great shooter already. In just a few trips to the range, I have noticed him really taking to heart safety precautions. At this point, I no longer fear him getting his hands on my guns if somehow they were not locked in the safe. He knows how they operate, how to check to see if loaded, and how to clear malfunctions. The 7 year old nephew still makes me nervous. Last time he was over, he came up behind me while I was packing ammo for a range trip and proceeded to attempt to just grab a pistol out of the safe. :eek3: I guess all of those Call of Duty games makes him feel like it is ok. I then spent a few minutes explaining the seriousness of his action, and what that loaded .357 could do to someone. I unloaded it and let him hold it while keeping it in a safe direction and no finger in the trigger area. That gun safe is invaluable to me.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    The 7 year old nephew still makes me nervous. Last time he was over, he came up behind me while I was packing ammo for a range trip and proceeded to attempt to just grab a pistol out of the safe. :eek3:

Would have been the perfect time to break a blood vessel
    on top of that hand right as he was about to touch it...POW@! NO! :mamoru:

Actually probably wouldn’t have broken a vessel just saying lol

Reminds me of the other day....
    The other day my son stuck a stick in the Charcoal Starter that I had BURNING charcoal in getting ready to grill. Of course it turns to grey/black ash looking but still hot right? My baby girl(almost two) walks near it and reaches for the stick. Of course I swipe her hand away and say 'NO' Hot!. She cries, I tata her, all good now go play lol

Anyway 'THE BOY' just has to get his burnt stick out. Hard headed little turd, no clue where he got his determination and defiance from,
    probably his mother’s side I’m sure…….cough…cough...anyway

I say "Son, it's hot, don't grab it".
    -Dad it's not even smoking though....as he reaches for it……(and being the good father I am, I let him.) ;)

sizzle, OUCH!! DAD??? It's HOT!..... :mad:

-NO **** DUMBASS!!!!!! I JUST SAID THAT! (Wife > "Don't call him that") Me "Get back in the kitchen!"

And thus the difference between raising sons and daughters. You're welcome. Can’t wait to get home and teach more life lessons. Parenting is fun! :D

......Yea that answer to the wife part was total ********
    embarrassed.png

Last edited:
    Top Bottom