This has nothing to do with this type forum but........

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stormrider54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Dutchtown
    Does anyone know if Hundai or Kia Motors vehicles are any good? I see 40MPG highway. That has my attention. Both have great warranties.
    To buy or not to buy, that is the question.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Both had problems in the past- say pre-Katrina. More recently it seems that things have gotten better (based on my customer complaints - I do insurance so car discussions come up a lot- but I'm not a mechanic). The older sportages in particular at least to my totally unscientific analysis seemed to be problematic. Particularly the ones bursting into flames... not many of those but they tend to stand out in my memory for some reason.

Personally, I wouldn't buy one. I'm concerned about resale value more than anything. One bad set of defects could cause the resale values to plummet. They don't have a history of customer loyalty like Toyota or Honda to overcome a problematic series. The one non-mainstream I've always been drawn to but haven't bought is the Subaru Forrester. Several of my wealthier clients have been repeat buyers of those. They could be driving mercedes but choose Foresters.

Just my humble opinion though.

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    I am a Nissan man, saying that I would the two you mentioned would be great cars to buy used low miles 1-2 yrs old. (due to depreciation) Suzuki has stepped it up as well. Those three cars are great commuter vehicles for a low price.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    My mom has an 06 kia sportage with 120k with no problems. When its time for my g.f a new car, we will definitely check out those two first. Most likely a year or two old like stated above.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Not much to service on them, dont hold value, but my wife hit someone she was doing 50 plus they were sitting still for no reason and it didnt register to the wife and she hit them HARD.. she walked away.. Kia spectra.. not made anymore but nice.. On a personal note, get the auto.. 5 speed is hirky jerky..

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    the new Kia and Hyundai are great cars and give others a run for their money.. i would certainly conside a Genesis or Equus over anything Japanese

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    I work for Audi, but we share a building with Hyundai. Let me say that I remember how Hyundai started in the US with the Excel. A $4700 POS. That is NOT the Hyundai of today. The Koreans really got their **** together and are building some nice vehicles. And you're going to be hard pressed to beat the 10/100 warranty! I got the real scoop from the guys who work on them day in and day out, and it was enough for me to recommed one to my brother in law. He bought a '12 Tucson and loves it. If anybody is seriously interested in a Hyundai, (or an Audi for that matter), let me know, " I have a guy". ;)

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I drive a 2011 hyundai elentra(company car)and its nice.i drive it from new Orleans to Houma and back everyday.$30 bucks I get 300 miles wish I can say that about my g35.
    My girlfriend has a 2012 elantra, its really nice on the inside, lot of space, good options, AMAZING gas mileage. Doesn't have as much get up as my mazda 3, but its got enough to get you around.

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    They have gotten a LOT better, I still wouldn't own one. I'm a Chevrolet truck, Nissan sports cars, and Honda's gas mileage kind of guy....lol

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    As others have stated:
    Back in the late 90's they were junk but have gotten better.
    No resale value to speak of.
    100k warranty.

If I remember correctly the warranty is/was only for the original owner and not transferable. So if you bought used, as I always buy, your warranty was only 3/36. This may have changed.
    If you bought new, drive alot of miles each year, and throw them away every 5-7 years, you may come out ok.

JMHO.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    A few years ago I wouldn't have touched one but now I'm thinking it may be my next car if I don;t get a truck.

Those hyundai genesis 2 doors are hot little machines.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I'm a Yugo man, me myself and I. but darned, you can't find a used one anywhars.

Hundai are actually rated better than Hondas by some. KIAS have a 10 year warranty and you see them on the roads now in greater numbers.

belmor

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Monroe
    We are going to move to the Keys this summer but my job there may start early and I will have to make the 1000mi trip every other week, if it does I will be looking at Kia, I used to sell them and their latest offerings are impressive, my wife has a Nissan and it is a good car and I plan to look at Nissan and Kia

~B~

stormrider54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Dutchtown
    Thanks for the feedback.
    I bought a 2012 Hundai Accent today. I am retired and on disability. I spend a lot of time traveling from Gonzales to Oschners in N.O. and my Grand Cherokee (2004) and pick up (2011 Dodge Ram Hemi) are killing me with gas prices. The Hundai is supposed to get 28mpg in town and 40 mpg on hwy. Has 11.4 Gal. Tank.
    Came pretty much loaded. I have 100,000 or ten years warranty bumper to bumper. It is roomy enough inside. I'm 6'1" 275lbs. It isn't a Hemi as far as pick up and speed goes but is adequate for my driving and is far from being the slowest. I'm satisfied. After trading in Grand Cherokee note runs approx $230/mnth. Couldn't pass it up, rides good, quiet but my insurance went up $17.00 every three months. I figure it should pay for itself on savings in gas. Time will tell.
    Again thanks for the feedback, it was a big help.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom