This might start an argument....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Can I get a show of hands? Who here believes in magic bullets? Anyone? No? Hmmm...
    :ohreally:

Hey bruh, The .Gov says it happens since 63'

Attachments

• Magic-Bullet.jpg
      Magic-Bullet.jpg
      220.5 KB · Views: 54

roll_tide

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2021
    Pineville, LA.
    It’s not overpenetration if it hit someone AFTER it penetrated a wall.

Some of you people believe there are magic bullets that don’t penetrate walls.
    I dont believe in magic bullets but some time ago, one or a few ammo companys did produce defensive ammo that was designed to not penetrate walls. I think the ammo was produced with frangable bullets, so yes, there was at one time, and maybe still to this day, ammo produced to not penetrate walls.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Hey bruh, The .Gov says it happens since 63'
    The bullet was a fmj 6.5 which never penetrate straight , they yaw and often change course while swapping ends . The diagram is not a true representation . Con was in a jump seat ( similar to old rear seats in station wagons) and was considerably lower than Kennedy .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    The air marshals were concerned about over penetration in the 70s and 80s . The answer was a bullet with a explosive compound and primer that would cause the bullet to blow to peaches on entry. I don't think it would help if you missed the hi jacker and hit the plane wall because we blew them through 2x6 s but if you hit the intended target there would be no chance of exiting and going through a wall . That was before the semi auto pistol became the choice of weapon . Ragean being shot with a similar but unreliable bullet stopped them from being produced .

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Can I get a show of hands? Who here believes in magic bullets? Anyone? No? Hmmm...
    :ohreally:

Wouldn’t be the strangest for you, James.

I dont believe in magic bullets but some time ago, one or a few ammo companys did produce defensive ammo that was designed to not penetrate walls. I think the ammo was produced with frangable bullets, so yes, there was at one time, and maybe still to this day, ammo produced to not penetrate walls.

Frangible ammunition is still manufactured. It is designed for training use.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    The bullet was a fmj 6.5 which never penetrate straight , they yaw and often change course while swapping ends . The diagram is not a true representation . Con was in a jump seat ( similar to old rear seats in station wagons) and was considerably lower than Kennedy .

Hey if .Gov says that's the way it happened then that's how it happened.

Mannelite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2019
    Covington, Louisiana
    This is a simple thread, if you hit your target with a 5.56@3000fps, the bullet will not go straight through and penetrate several layers of drywall... it will explode inside the target. If you miss and hit the drywall, it will sail straight through, and thats with any defensive gun. Buckshot will go straight through drywall. 9mm sure as hell will go through drywall. I think 9mm will penetrate even further than 5.56 will to be honest... the 5.56 has a tendency to break, tumble, and yaw, all of these stop penetration fairly quickly. That being said I still pick a 9mm handgun for home defense, because I can easily arm and orient myself with it in the dark of night, and my wife won't let me keep a rifle under the bed anymore....

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Glazer (glaser?) safety slugs come to mind. I still have a few in 9mm and .40. Basically a jacket filled with shot and moving at greater than standard velocities. They were tested in gelatin a lot back in the day and they definitely seemed to work as advertised. The cost of a 6 round pack turned a lot of peeps away though.
    Not certain about Air Marshal use or not.

roll_tide

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2021
    Pineville, LA.
    Glazer (glaser?) safety slugs come to mind. I still have a few in 9mm and .40. Basically a jacket filled with shot and moving at greater than standard velocities. They were tested in gelatin a lot back in the day and they definitely seemed to work as advertised. The cost of a 6 round pack turned a lot of peeps away though.
    I think that was one of them that were produced and I think there were a few more of different designs also. Thank you Sir for bringing them back to my memory!

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    So you say. Just wondering if you can name any of those you people you’re referring to.

Everyone in this thread believing ammunition won’t penetrate drywall. If I recall, you’re a fan of #4 buckshot because it doesn’t penetrate well. Is that correct?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    For anyone curious about buckshot, Lucky Gunner did an excellent 2 part video on the subject. They mention multiple types of buckshot, including #4, and how they all penetrate walls.

Mannelite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2019
    Covington, Louisiana
    Also on the sound thing. I don't think the type of gun makes a very big difference. I mean the difference between my .380 ACP and my 7.62x54r is noticeable... but not THAT noticeable. They both hurt about the same, the 54r has a deeper of a boom to it. I never understood people that can tell the difference between a 45 and a 9 or a x39 and a 5.56. Most guns sound exactly the same to me. Unless there is a giant difference in caliber, like .380 vs 54r, I think they pretty much exactly the same. I can't tell much of a difference between 5.56 and 9mm, if there is a retarded muzzle device it can give the 5.56 more of a boom.... but then again it also depends on the pistol as well, some pistols are louder than others in the same caliber. This is just one of those things that grinds my gears and it has to be one of the biggest perpetuating myths in the gun community. So many freaking people claim to be able to identify the gun by the report, its BS, you ever pull up to the range while they are shooting? Its really hard to tell if its pistol line shooting or rifle line, there's not that much difference, let alone from rifle to rifle and pistol to pistol. Next time you pull up to the range while there are rounds popping off, just try to sit there for a second and see if you can identify any distinctions from shot to shot, keep in mind, the further away you are the more noticeable any distinction should be. Sorry for ranting, but I hear at least one person a month spouting this nonsense.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    We used to make our own . Drop 300 grain sierra . 429 44 mag bullet in lead pot and when jacket floated to the top gently take it out being sure to pour any molten lead out then we filled it up with #7 1/2 shot and epoxy the nose . Loaded up with fast powder because they were pretty light . The sierra worked best because of the small front opening .

TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    I feel like its pretty easy to hear the difference between an ar and pistol. An Ar/ rifle seems to have a lot more echo than a pistol which usually sounds like a pop with less echo.

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    The AR chambered in 5.56N or other similar calibers is ideal for in and outside the home defense. When you engage threats in or outside the home be aware of your pass through. Do not shoot in the direction of bystanders. Bullets stop and breakup in the ground and within the thick wood framework of corners where ceilings join walls.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I feel like its pretty easy to hear the difference between an ar and pistol. An Ar/ rifle seems to have a lot more echo than a pistol which usually sounds like a pop with less echo.

I found this out when we did BZO(battle sight zero) I full gear with no hearing protection before a deployment. It felt like there was a tire blowout next to my ear. Pistol rounds are tame compared to rifle.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I found this out when we did BZO(battle sight zero) I full gear with no hearing protection before a deployment. It felt like there was a tire blowout next to my ear. Pistol rounds are tame compared to rifle.

It’s largely irrelevant. None of them are hearing safe.

Top Bottom