Thoughts on Dallas PD's killer robot.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old School

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    DTR
    Would you rather he sit in prison some where and go through the system. Get it done on the spot. It's a lot cheaper in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Not the first time police have used military style weapons on bad guys.
    Think Mark Essex 1973

They drilled that idiot with over 200 rounds. His body was literally cut to pieces.

As for drone strikes to end standoffs I had two thoughts when I first heard this one.
    1.) Wow! That is genius!
    2.) I bet they can affix precision guns to some of these and stop a lot of face to face shootouts.

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    They drilled that idiot with over 200 rounds. His body was literally cut to pieces.

As for drone strikes to end standoffs I had two thoughts when I first heard this one.
    1.) Wow! That is genius!
    2.) I bet they can affix precision guns to some of these and stop a lot of face to face shootouts.

They certainly can: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYMtX3E-Lgs

I presume that lethal force was justified. But I don't agree that one method is just as good as another. Isn't there a good reason that the police don't have lethal explosives in their arsenal? Should SWAT have frag grenades on their vest? Next time there's a standoff should the police just light the whole building on fire, Waco-style? Hey, he's dead either way, right?

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    Given that he said he had placed bombs around the area, I was actually hoping to hear that it was one of his own devices used against him.

[Robot drives in]
    Hey man, you left this downstairs...
    Kablooie!

Unfortunately the reality is much darker than that.

GUY

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2015
    DENHAM SPRINGS, LA.
    Because of the possibility that he may have had remote explosives hidden that could have caused more innocents to be killed I believe the correct decision was made.

AL

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Agree or disagree, I think the US just crossed a milestone.

This weekend, for better or for worse, we used a drone strike to kill an American on US soil.

EDITED TO ADD:
    Personally I don't think this is a bad thing. I'm an R/C fanatic and I want to drive the next "splodey" drone.

Last edited:

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    They certainly can: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYMtX3E-Lgs

I presume that lethal force was justified. But I don't agree that one method is just as good as another. Isn't there a good reason that the police don't have lethal explosives in their arsenal? Should SWAT have frag grenades on their vest? Next time there's a standoff should the police just light the whole building on fire, Waco-style? Hey, he's dead either way, right?

So you believe a robot with explosives is unjust or just overkill? Let's play the scenario out if the police chief believed the same thing.

Perp murders 5 police officers, standoff commences. Negotiations reveal he will not surrender and intends to kill as many police officers as possible before he is killed. Negotiations also reveal that the perp claims to have placed IEDs and potentially has one on his person.

^this is all a part of the original scenario, according to all the current reports.

Here's where we change up what happened.

Police chief says "well we shouldn't blow him up, that is just overkill/unjustifiable." So what's next? Wait him out and give him the chance to come out guns blazing and put more innocent lives at risk? What if he says "I'll surrender" after hours of standoff, then detonates an IED as he gets within range of officers? There is a possibility he could have given up peacefully and faced a trial, but I'm not guessing it would have ended that way.

So let's say you agree that not neutralizing him is a bad idea due to the threat he poses. Would it have been ok for a sharpshooter to take him out if he had a clean shot? If so, the next step would have been blowing his corpse up to disarm the possible IED he had strapped to his chest (not sure he actually had one). So is it alright to use explosives to blow up the body of the guy we just shot dead, but not to be the method of killing the perp?

I'm serious in these questions, as I want to know what your alternative would be. I don't believe this robot armed with explosives is going to change the way LEO handle other situations. This was a unique situation that required a unique solution.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    WALL-E Mark II
    AKA "Splodey Drone"

79r2kx72a9nnqsd2nnd.png

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    The bottom line is this..............

IF deadly force is necessary and called for under the conditions of the situation, WHY THE **** DOES IT MATTER how he was killed?

If you think it does, then you should only be carrying a single shot 22 short as your EDC weapon..... a larger caliber or capacity could be deemed overkill!

Sounds like some stupid liberal logic to me.

Its real easy for some couch commando who knows nothing other than what the lying ass media told them to Monday morning quarterback the whole thing, but I guarantee there are facts that will probably remain unknown for quite some time as to why the decision was made to use the method that was used.

THERE IS NOT A SINGLE PERSON IN THIS THREAD AND PROBABLY ON THIS FORUM WHO HAVE ANYWHERE NEAR ENOUGH INFO TO CALL INTO QUESTION THE DECISION MADE THAT NIGHT BY DALLAS POLICE.

And, yeah I know..... your cousin's brother's uncle's sister's monkey's dog slept next to a cop at a Holiday Inn last night so you really are pro-police.

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington

Most SWAT teams maintain lethal explosive capability, they just don't use it frequently. They maintain explosive breaching capabilities and all associated materials required, as employed in the Orlando terror attack last month.

What would the difference had been had they rigged an explosive breach to make entry and he just got caught in the blast prior to the entry team hooking him up with lead therapy? NOT A ****ING THING!

Would you have been ok with them running him over with the armored truck and killing him? Cops use cars as weapons in deadly force encounters regularly, and the courts have repeatedly said DEADLY FORCE is DEADLY FORCE, the tool is not the issue, as long as the justification for employing such force is found to be valid.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    The bottom line is this..............

IF deadly force is necessary and called for under the conditions of the situation, WHY THE **** DOES IT MATTER how he was killed?

If you think it does, then you should only be carrying a single shot 22 short as your EDC weapon..... a larger caliber or capacity could be deemed overkill!

Sounds like some stupid liberal logic to me.

Its real easy for some couch commando who knows nothing other than what the lying ass media told them to Monday morning quarterback the whole thing, but I guarantee there are facts that will probably remain unknown for quite some time as to why the decision was made to use the method that was used.

THERE IS NOT A SINGLE PERSON IN THIS THREAD AND PROBABLY ON THIS FORUM WHO HAVE ANYWHERE NEAR ENOUGH INFO TO CALL INTO QUESTION THE DECISION MADE THAT NIGHT BY DALLAS POLICE.

And, yeah I know..... your cousin's brother's uncle's sister's monkey's dog slept next to a cop at a Holiday Inn last night so you really are pro-police.

Don't be mad because you just found out in 5 years you're getting replaced by a robot controlled by some fat ass like me in a comfy chair. That's right, embrace the reign of the keyboard commandos!

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I watched Chief Brown's press conference today and he said something to the effect of " I had no moral dilema whether to use the robot . I'd do it again " .

Top Bottom