Tikka T3 Tactical or Sig SSG 3000 ? or...?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    Looking at a new .308 gun. They're selling SSG 3000 at Walmart for about what you'd expect to pay for a T3 Tactical .308. Which way would you go, or would you pick something else entirely, and why?

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I would do the remington 700 5r. They shoot well out of the box and there is a huge offering of aftermarket parts(triggers, stocks, ect). The 5r does not have a detachable mag, but CDI could inlet the stock and drop a bottom metal that accepts AI mags.

trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    What will you being doing with it?

ringing steel plate and punching holes in paper to 1,000 yrds (mostly 200-600), the bi-annual Colorado prairie dog slaughter. I should add I already have an M1a super match, AR10 Super SASS and a Savage BVSS in this caliber that perform all these functions well.

I've been reading the reviews on the SSG & T3 and am considering something 'different'. Besides, I ended up with an extra scope and my ocpd self feels compelled to stick something under it.

Last edited:

trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    First I would pick a caliber with bullets that have a better BC and can attain higher MV than your choice. Especially since you have the caliber covered x3 already anyway. Think 6mm or 6.5mm bullet but if you must stick to a .308

http://www.surgeonrifles.com/308-win-scalpel-a-5-10

Or

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-rifle-ready-to-ship.html

Barney, funny you should mention the above, as a matter of fact, the below came in last week and is on my workbench right now - different project ...

I started the thread because of my interest in the mid-price range out-of-the box precision rifles that are out there now, my familiarity with the 7.62x51 and the relative low cost of match reloading components.

trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    With kind of money you seem to have why don't you just buy both compare the two and sell the other one off?

Dave

Dave, that's a very good question. You see, the trunk space of my Veyron is quite limited and my Veneno's is nonexistent. Since my man servant ran off with my supermodel ex-wife, taking the S Class S65, I simply have no way to get 2 rifles safely home without taking public transportation. That mode of transportation simply would not do. Thank you for asking. Cheers!

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Dave, that's a very good question. You see, the trunk space of my Veyron is quite limited and my Veneno's is nonexistent. Since my man servant ran off with my supermodel ex-wife, taking the S Class S65, I simply have no way to get 2 rifles safely home without taking public transportation. That mode of transportation simply would not do. Thank you for asking. Cheers!

That's funny right there. I'm glad you took my post in the spirit it was intended.

I have no idea what is a Veyron or a Veneno? A car of some sort? Us poor guys never even heard of them.

:)

Dave

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    With that tube 6Creedmoor or 6XC with 105 Berger Hybrids. I would shy away from .243Win in an AI mag as you run out of room quick.

As far as cheaper, powder = same, primer = same, brass I got cheaper, bullets are a little more but offset some from the brass. Performance cost money but it is well worth it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom