time for a radiation detector?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rustyduck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    near morgan city
    i don't even know the right name for it but before i search google for hours, anyone know where i can order a good one? its getting worse, they talking total meltdown. as if we don't have enough cancer causing crap already. we never should have made any of those damn nuclear plants.

rapaint66

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    South Baton Rouge
    i don't even know the right name for it but before i search google for hours, anyone know where i can order a good one? its getting worse, they talking total meltdown. as if we don't have enough cancer causing crap already. we never should have made any of those damn nuclear plants.

A Geiger Counter is what you are looking for

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    What I'm trying to get you to understand is you need to fight your fear and anxiety with facts. Not fuel them with paranoia.

If you lived in Japan, I would think owning a Geiger Counter might be a good idea, but in Morgan City... not so much of a "must have".

You realize you are actually 10,000 miles away from the problem right? And yes I know, there have been small (very small) amounts of radiation showing up here.

But the amount of radiation released by this disaster as compared to Chernobyl is about 20%-50%. We didn't all start growing 3rd eyes in our heads after that one.

Pookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Unless you really know what to make of the readings, a Geiger counter won't do you any good. And even if you did know what to make of the readings, it STILL won't do you any good because there's nothing you could do about it.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    We actually get more radiation from a day boating or watching a football game or baseball game at the park.. The Sun, is more dangerous to us then japan in the worst condition and its already here..

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    We're OK here in Louisiana.

We dropped two relatively dirty nukes on them that were powerful enough to kill a couple hundred thousand people. That had to release FAR more radiation in to the environment. We'll be fine.

There were at least 100 atomic bombs exploded in Nevada, many of them in the atmosphere, not to mention the thermonuclear devices the U.S., Russia, the Chinese, French and Brits popped.

In 1960 there were 140 nuclear tests.

A problem with the media is they don't put this in context. Oil field waste can be radioactive. It's called Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material, NORM. You get it in the phosphate industry and oil refining. Radon boils at about the same temp as one of the low molecular weight hydrocarbons and radon daughters build up in some refinery equipment. Every scrap metal yard I know of has a radiation detector at their gates so none of this stuff is scrapped. You don't know about it as it's not media worthy. Actually, the mercury from blown manometers is probably a larger concern than NORM from oil fields.

You won't find a meter to measure environmental radiation from the Jap nuclear plants. Air is filtered and the type and intensity of radiation coming from it can be measured and this tells you which isotopes are present. It's not something a layperson can do. U-2s were used to gather air samples during the cold war when Russkie or Chinese tests were done. Isotopic analysis told us a lot about their weapons.
    :squint:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom