Time to lawyer up?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nikolai

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Houston, TX
    So here's a subject that I've been pondering over for a while now...

How many of you guys already have a lawyer lined up in the event that you actually are involved in a self-defence shooting? And if so, how did you find them? Phone book, personal reference, relative?

To be frank, I'm not the type of person that would survive very long in jail much less prison, so anything that could possibly shorten my stay after being booked and help me to avoid sentencing would be a good idea IMO. I don't know anyone that's a lawyer or even know of any lawyers in the Lafayette area that have SD law experience. I suppose I could just call all the criminal defence lawyers in the yellow pages, but that doesn't seem like the best way to pick a really good lawyer.

I'm not terribly concerned about what a really good lawyer would cost. The way I look at it, I'd more than likely only need his/her services once in my life, and I'd rather be indebted to them for the rest of my life than try to survive a few years locked up and have the rest of my life/career/etc ruined in the process.

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    try contacting GOA and get a list of recommended lawyers in your area. Then give them each a 5 minutes call or take em to lunch to talk with them.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    I dont have one but I do have the DUI Doctor on speed dial. Remember never blow, never blow always refuse then fight it in court.

mrdbeau

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Slidell Area
    At least you've got the right idea Nik. Lawyer up immediately; never talk to the JBTs.

Edited to add: Jimmy Dean is definitely the best person to talk to about this on the forum, in all likelihood. :mamoru:

Asc.rudeboy

Walmitfahrer tactical#103
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    ya know prison wouldnt be so bad if it wasnt for that whole anal rape thing...so yea someone list a good legal eagle.haha

Swampy

Chicken head
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2006
    Harvey, La.
    I call P-Ta mon...

Peter%20John%20P%27Ta%20Mon%20Peter%20P%27Ta%20Mon%20John%20Trial%20Lawyer%20Above%20the%20Law%20blog.jpg

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    hillar moore was my top pick. i dont know now.

Back in the late 70's my old girlfriend lived in Oaks of Kingsbridge and Hillar lived there too. One day someone cut my tires and Hillar came to handle it. There was a hurricane coming that day and Hillar was out in the rain getting blood samples off the ground.

Mouthpiece

Attorney
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    New Orleans
    As an attorney (although I do not play one on TV), I always recommend to have someone lined up on the front end. I am not talking about a retainer, but someone you are comfortable with and a number you can call whatever time of day. (Having notarized papers on the hood of a car while shirtless at 3 am before, I'm not too crazy about the "whatever time of the day" part, but it does happen.)

Swampy

Chicken head
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2006
    Harvey, La.
    As an attorney (although I do not play one on TV), I always recommend to have someone lined up on the front end. I am not talking about a retainer, but someone you are comfortable with and a number you can call whatever time of day. (Having notarized papers on the hood of a car while shirtless at 3 am before, I'm not too crazy about the "whatever time of the day" part, but it does happen.)

Well Post up your number.... There are plenty of us in the NOLA area...

nikolai

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Houston, TX
    At least you've got the right idea Nik. Lawyer up immediately; never talk to the JBTs.

Edited to add: Jimmy Dean is definitely the best person to talk to about this on the forum, in all likelihood. :mamoru:

I'm not sure if you are serious or not. But making this thread really had nothing to do with whether or not one should talk to the "JBTs". Just a matter of being prepared. I'd really like to be able to make my call to my wife and have her tell me my lawyer is already on it rather than listen to her agonize about having to find a lawyer that can deal with that type of situation.

mrdbeau

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Slidell Area
    I'm not sure if you are serious or not. But making this thread really had nothing to do with whether or not one should talk to the "JBTs". Just a matter of being prepared. I'd really like to be able to make my call to my wife and have her tell me my lawyer is already on it rather than listen to her agonize about having to find a lawyer that can deal with that type of situation.

I was just being a smartass since we have some people on this forum who apparently think you should never ever talk to the po-pos and then another group who think you should give them your life story no matter what the situation is. :rolleyes:

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    no, but i cant recall a SINGLE time. NOT A SINGLE time where a lawyer on the side of the road did, or would make a difference.

well, except the one time a jackass got a dwi, called his LAWYER from the back of the cop car. his LAWYER showed up drunk, and they rode together, to jail.

bail may be better. all of this is supposition, i have never been arrested, so maybe someone can give me an example of having an attorney come TO the scene?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom