to tell or not to tell?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should you alert the officer that you have a weapon during a traffic stop?

• yes

Votes: 72 46.5%
    • no

Votes: 83 53.5%

• Total voters

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    is there a law concerning it being loaded or concealed? If i tell them there is a loaded handgun in my glovebox, can I be ticketed or arrested for this? Thats of course assuming the gun is perfectly legal. Im 20 years old, although it shouldnt make a difference.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I have read that sometimes, an officer on the interstates will pull a vehicle over for driving, say, 68 in a 70 because they think it suspicious and they will stop them in case they are carrying drugs.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    When I last got stopped I told the officer about the pistol in my pocket, but didn't mention the one in the console or rifle in back seat.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    In Louisiana if you have a CCP when your license is ran the officer will know you may be armed. It's required if you are carrying to notify the officer if he is in "official" capacity. Besides, it's just good manners. The police don't like suprises. :D

No they dont, we saw what happened to the poor bastard with the golf club.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I was pulled over 17 times last year. Didn't get arrested or ticketed once. See post #4.

HOLY COW! You know it's kind of like having seven or eight failed marriages. There comes a time when you need to ask yourself, is it me? ;)

Saying that, my paperwork is not near my gun. So unless the situation changes that absolutely requires me to reach towards my gun, then I'm not going to tell them. I suspect if it was a big deal, they'd ask up front.

Although Charles brings up a good point. I haven't been stopped since receiving my CHP so :dunno: how it'd go having never been there. In the past it was in the console. Still is. :)

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    The best thing you could do would be to wait in your vehicle for the officer's instructions.

I personally would like to be told if you have a gun in the vehicle...as long as its in the passenger compartment, and somewhere you'd be able to grab it. If I catch a glimpse of it, and you haven't told me about it, and its somewhere you have access to...

This.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I got chewed out by a springfield cop for not mentioning that I had a CCW even though I wasn't actually carrying (in the console away from my papers).

Now I just hand over my license and permit together and announce that I don't have a gun on me (assuming I'm not carrying). If he wants to know about the car he can ask.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    i have one fastened to the female end of my seatbelt, but since i am usually carrying i usually tell them i am carrying with permit, the other guns never come up.

diat150

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    opelousas
    The best thing you could do would be to wait in your vehicle for the officer's instructions.

why is that? I already know that he needs the license, registration, and proof of insurance.

whats more dangerous to an officer? walking up to a vehicle with an occupant inside or him standing by his vehicle while I exit with hands in the open holding my paperwork?

Like I said, I have never had an officer instruct me to stay in the vehicle.

PrairieCajun

Ima let dat pass dis time
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    B.R.(da hood), LA

I personally would like to be told if you have a gun in the vehicle...as long as its in the passenger compartment and somewhere you'd be able to grab it.

This would be the only time (other than when I was carrying concealed,obviously) that I would say a word. I typically carry my pistol so openly and close to me in the vehicle, that I would be uncomfortable about an armed officer discovering my weapon on his own and inviting the chance of being drawn on. If it were under the seat/glove/suitcase, no point. I want to keep me from potentially having an even worse day.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    The officer will know if you have a CCP because it comes up with your drivers license check. Be evasive and not forthcoming and the officer may percieve you as not cooperating and write a ticket. IMHO it works in your favor to disclose. Just my opinion.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    As loud as you can start yelling "I have a gun" as soon as he exits his unit. This will put him at ease and make the stop more relaxed for the both of you.:mamoru: Just joking of course. I would inform him and comply. This would put the ball in his court and hopefuly remain civil. If it doesn't it would be because he took it to the next level not me.:)

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    The officer will know if you have a CCP because it comes up with your drivers license check. Be evasive and not forthcoming and the officer may percieve you as not cooperating and write a ticket. IMHO it works in your favor to disclose. Just my opinion.

He or she will know you have a CHP if the Dispatcher knows how to read their screen, just because he/she calls in the plate doesn't mean they are going to run your DL.
    I've had LEO friends run my DL and asked if I had a CHP and the dispatcher tell him she didn't have that info.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Isn't it also a law that you're supposed to inform them??? If so, then how you feel really doesn't matter, just follow the law. If you were following the law to begin with, you wouldn't be getting pulled over in the first place, now would you?

The law is if you have a CHP and have the gun on you, not for people without a CHP and just have a gun in the vehicle.

And you're right follow the law and you might not get pulled over unless somebody is just fishing.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    He or she will know you have a CHP if the Dispatcher knows how to read their screen, just because he/she calls in the plate doesn't mean they are going to run your DL.
    I've had LEO friends run my DL and asked if I had a CHP and the dispatcher tell him she didn't have that info.

I've had several Ascension Sheriff officers as patients. When they pulled me up on their handheld the CCP came up.

firefighter9158

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Gonzales
    why is that? I already know that he needs the license, registration, and proof of insurance.

whats more dangerous to an officer? walking up to a vehicle with an occupant inside or him standing by his vehicle while I exit with hands in the open holding my paperwork?

I got pulled over in California last month for talking on the cell phone, after i pulled over I got out of my vehicle(papers/license in hand), The officer freaked the F**k Out, and started screaming for me to get back in my car. I did, he said that in Cali., they do not want the driver getting out of their vehicle. FYI ! Get stopped in Cali., STAY IN YOUR CAR ! lol

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish

Because, if you get out of the vehicle automatically, you could be put at gunpoint.

Louisiana is one of the few states in the country that pulls people out of the vehicle. Sometimes I leave people in the vehicle, sometimes I pull them out. It just depends. There is no one thing that is more dangerous. If I leave you in the vehicle, you can't see much behind you due to all my lights. I can approach from whatever side of your vehicle I want, and you wouldn't be able to tell.

If you get out, you can charge me and start shooting/stabbing/hitting/whatever before I get a chance to get fully out of my car or react appropriately.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom