Tobacco Products Price Increase

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Keller

Walmitfahrer #478
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Baton Rouge/Covington
    So I just went to my local Circle K to buy a can of tobacco, and what do I see above the check-out counter? Why, a banner reading the following:

According to the Federal Government, a $1.01 price increase will take effect on April 1, 2009. These funds will go benefit Children's Health Insurance.

I have a couple of questions and a few gripes about this.

Where does the Fed get off for increasing prices on certain types of goods to fund a specific cause? Who are these children who get federal health insurance? I for one have never benefited from such a program. Could this possibly be children of "low-income" families?

It's not so much about the money (there has always been a "sin tax" on cigarettes, alcohol, and gambling houses) as much as I am with where the proceeds are going.

It always gave me the case of the flaming red-ass that I never got a free-lunch and my parents car-pooled to work in the family Stanza, while Tyrone Brown had a book of lunch tickets and went home to his government subsidized house with a Caddy and a Lincoln in the driveway.

In my mind's eye, this is an unconstitutional tax targeting a specific demographic to benefit another demographic. Whatever happened to the catalyst of the American succession and the Civil War: "No taxation without representation"?

I'm really liking the idea on www.reteaparty.com to send tea-bags to Capitol Hill. Anyone with me?

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    Last edited:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    You can thank Obama and all of the liberal Democrats all over this country . Confiscation of your assets has begun . You haven't seen anything yet .

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    This will probably happeneto ammunition as well.

Raise the price so high that people can't afford to buy.

:)

Last edited:

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Here is a little info on that health program:

SCHIP serves the children of America’s working poor–kids whose parents make too much to qualify for Medicaid, but not enough to afford private health insurance. Currently, about 6 million children are covered by SCHIP. The proposed expansion would relax eligibility standards to cover an additional 4 million children.

The tax would create about $35 billion dollars for the program or about $8750 per child per year.

http://www.calnurses.org/media-cent...ast-stand-against-child-health-insurance.html

Asc.rudeboy

Walmitfahrer tactical#103
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    i have a problem with the entire "sin" tax in general,,,,i think its time we started taxing churches,,,,rosary beads need to be taxed,,,everytime you say a prayer you should be taxed....churches are run like a bussiness they just dont have to pay taxes.....their time has come

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I would be in favor of simplifiing our system to a sales tax only. No Income tax, no death tax, no capital gains tax, a simple sales tax. No exemptions, no IRS agents, no filing returns, it would save a ton of money.

It would tax rich more than the poor, you would be able to tax churches on things they purchased, you would tax illegals on what they purchased, it is the nearest to perfect taxing system.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    I would be in favor of simplifiing our system to a sales tax only. No Income tax, no death tax, no capital gains tax, a simple sales tax. No exemptions, no IRS agents, no filing returns, it would save a ton of money.

It would tax rich more than the poor, you would be able to tax churches on things they purchased, you would tax illegals on what they purchased, it is the nearest to perfect taxing system.

http://www.fairtax.org/site/PageServer

Art

Rahllin

Geaux Tigers!
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Anyone down for a group buy on cigarettes?! :rofl:

Also, will cartons be taxed $1.01 or $10.10? I haven't read into this new tax much, but it doesn't make me happy.

Asc.rudeboy

Walmitfahrer tactical#103
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    This will probably happeneto ammunition as well.

Raise the price so high that people can't afford to buy.

:)

at this point it almost dosnt matter how much it cost you cant find it anywhere....ive only been shooting my .22 becasue i know i can replace that easy,,just been hording my .45 and 223

Keller

Walmitfahrer #478
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Baton Rouge/Covington
    Anyone down for a group buy on cigarettes?! :rofl:

Also, will cartons be taxed $1.01 or $10.10? I haven't read into this new tax much, but it doesn't make me happy.

As I read it on the sign, that is a PER PACK price increase. They were also accepting orders in advance, so my logic would lead me to believe that cartons will go up $10. Though Circle K is not for being the brightest crayons in the box either.

Top Bottom