Todd Green et al: What the newbies should bring besides a gun.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Lots of fluids, snacks, headwear and the obvious safety stuff (eyes and ears). Probably a good idea to have extra mag pouches and/or a bag that you can bring enough mags to the line. ANd sunscreen. :D

and if next weekend is anything like this past, rubber boots and a poncho. :rofl:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    IIRC, Tulse has electronic muffs. That is the absolute number one thing I would recommend, and am incredibly glad I was convinced to get some before the Awerbuck class.

Snacks, sunblock, TONS of water/sports drinks. Having a sweat rag handy was nice too. Gun cleaning stuff and lubricant. Dollar bills for the titty bar.

Revchuck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    +1 on the electronic ears.

Also, a back up gun would be good, if you have one. It'd be a drag if your primary broke (it happens) and you didn't have another one with which to complete the course. It's one of those "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it" things.

Comfy shoes. We'll be on our feet all day. Leave the range ninja stuff at home. :) Running and hiking shoes work pretty well.

Sunscreen. And rain gear. This is Louisiana, after all...we might need both.

Water and maybe gatorade or something similar. Figure on about a quart per hour. Listen carefully - SODA SUCKS AS A HYDRATION FLUID. :D If your pee isn't clear, you're wrong.

Way more ammo than you think you'll need.

Stuff to take notes with.

That's all I can think of right now. See you there!

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I'm running my G17 in my duty holster/mag pouch. if something happens I'll have my G26 and holster/mag pouches for backup. Pants with pockets, good ears, eyes, rain gear sunscreen.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    some of us are less fortunate, at least the g26 has same manual of arms and I have the same slide and mag releases on it.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Ideally, and identical gun... that goes a VERY long way.

About that. I, unfortunately, won't be bringing an identical gun. Wish I could. I will bring a back up with lots of ammo.

If we do have a back up gun (not a BUG), would anyone consider using it for part of the training just to switch things up? Probably a question for Todd himself, but I'll throw it out there.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Revchuck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    If we do have a back up gun (not a BUG), would anyone consider using it for part of the training just to switch things up? Probably a question for Todd himself, but I'll throw it out there.
    FWIW, I asked him if I could bring my Beretta so we could work on some grip issues I was having (since I changed to a thumbs-forward grip, I occasionally hold down the slide release), in addition to the M&P 45 I originally planned on using, and he had no problem with it. He probably misses seeing spaghetti guns on the range anyway. ;)

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    never should have said anything.....:(

concealed means concealed:mamoru:

If you start having malfunctions and are using handloads, you will be THAT GUY.

And, the way the class is run, it won't matter. ;)

I don't think there is anything in the class "rules" about reloads, fwiw.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom