Took my CHP class today... Not all good

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    I thought the distance was rather odd we had to shoot from as well.

However, you dont qualify via shooting targets when you go buy a gun. It's up to the owner to get familiar with it or whoever they are letting use it.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I can only take a guess. I'd say it's a combination of the political climate and money with some extra emphasis on the money.

It costs a lot to challenge the state.

What I find really curious is the ppl here that are enthusiastically fundamentally opposed to even the mention of gun registration eagerly lining up to be documented and permit-ted.

I would've thought the NRA would've had the coin.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    I would've thought the NRA would've had the coin.

There's bigger battles to be fought. Chicago, DC, & now New York are the current battlegrounds for the big spenders. If their laws remain, it'll be a precedent and this "minor" issue will be even more pointless.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    There's bigger battles to be fought. Chicago, DC, & now New York are the current battlegrounds for the big spenders. If their laws remain, it'll be a precedent and this "minor" issue will be even more pointless.

I was also referring to th Clinton AWB. If there was ever a time to get together on something, I would've figured challenging that to have been the time.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    Only because it had a sunset clause.

I'd like to believe it was also to later, ie now, prove how completely ineffective it was.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Herohog, you know what just hit me? If God forbid you actually shoot someone, this idiot instructor is going to have to testify on your behalf. Its going to look like you're totally untrained in the eyes of the jury after the prosecutor makes a fool of him. :(

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    Herohog, you know what just hit me? If God forbid you actually shoot someone, this idiot instructor is going to have to testify on your behalf. Its going to look like you're totally untrained in the eyes of the jury after the prosecutor makes a fool of him. :(
    And there is the biggie...

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    It's pretty much SOP to call in the CHP instructor as a wittness in these trials.
    Interesting. I was never aware of this. I can't see how that would be worth the time, honestly. The last class can be upwards of 5 years, now, and other than having a record that "He passed" I don't know what other information could be gleaned that would be useful for the case.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    except its not. can you cite a single case where this was true? I've witnessed dozens of illegal possession charges and awdw charges where "the instructor" isn't even referred to once.

Even the state knows that the process to get a CHP is laughable, and that most of these so called "instructors" are worth little more than counting the holes in your paper target at 20 feet before signing their name.

Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    except its not. can you cite a single case where this was true? I've witnessed dozens of illegal possession charges and awdw charges where "the instructor" isn't even referred to once.

Even the state knows that the process to get a CHP is laughable, and that most of these so called "instructors" are worth little more than counting the holes in your paper target at 20 feet before signing their name.
    Thanks for the input. I thought it was pretty much rumor-mill type stuff you hear at a gun counter... not reality, but I have no experience to back up my skepticism.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I was going off what I have been told by instructors who are also "professional wittnesses." Did they give me false info? Look at my initial post. Yes, they have. I should have added "so I have been told" to my statement. In fact, Cox gave us ALL his card and told us to call him should we need to go to court.

Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I was going off what I have been told by instructors who are also "professional wittnesses." Did they give me false info? Look at my initial post. Yes, they have. I should have added "so I have been told" to my statement. In fact, Cox gave us ALL his card and told us to call him should we need to go to court.
    lol

Is he a lawyer?

Sheesh, he'd be better off giving you information about the Armed Citizen Network type stuff, like this: http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/learn/what-every-gun-owner-needs-to-know if he's going to even begin to talk about a court incident.

I had a decent class, but there's no way in hell I'd even consider calling the instructor if I had to go to court.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Create me any scenario where his testimony would be relevant? The state knows you passed the course, they issued you a permit. The application includes stating that you are aware of laws, regulations, etc. "Heres my card call me if you ever go to trial" sounds like a gimmick in an attempt to validate his credibility

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    "Heres my card call me if you ever go to trial" sounds like a gimmick in an attempt to validate his credibility
    In HIS case, this seems the most likely as he pushed all his trial experience and told a few stories of his experiences. I see it as him being called by the prosecution and used against you showing that you didn't know enough when you went forth with a gun...

Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    In HIS case, this seems the most likely as he pushed all his trial experience and told a few stories of his experiences. I see it as him being called by the prosecution and used against you showing that you didn't know enough when you went forth with a gun...
    That's assuming he remembers you and/or documented your "scores".

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    my point exactly. if anything, the DA calls him in to state the minimal training you had to endure to get the chp license in the first place. When you are then asked if you pursued additional training and say "no, I have not"; While you are not required to pursue any additional training by LAW it still makes you look like an uneducated gun-swinging vigilante to the jury.

I can conjure no creative scenario where calling him is in your best interest at trial.

Top Bottom