Took my M1s out today

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    I had a little time to shoot today, so I took out my Garand and my Carbine. All 3 targets were shot from prone at 100 yards.

6ckuyjv4pw0kkoop5g7.jpg

l34zyqna4cj6fefpd8j.jpg

Last edited:

BayouDude

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Terrebonne Parish
    What ammo are you shooting out of your garand? I recently bought one but don't have any .30-06 ammunition yet. Been reading about bent operating rods from shooting current ammo.

BayouDude

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Terrebonne Parish
    Do I still have to send in a written application as if I am buying a rifle in order to buy ammo from cmp? Also what about just buying an adjustable gas plug and shooting commercial ammo?

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    What ammo are you shooting out of your garand? I recently bought one but don't have any .30-06 ammunition yet. Been reading about bent operating rods from shooting current ammo.

I was shooting HXP surplus ammo from CMP.

You can get an adjustable gas plug for about $35 that can be set to allow for the right port pressure with commercial ammo. Reloads should use powders with burn rates between IMR 3031 and IMR 4064.

Also, remember to lube the action with grease, not oil.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    Do I still have to send in a written application as if I am buying a rifle in order to buy ammo from cmp? Also what about just buying an adjustable gas plug and shooting commercial ammo?

Yes, but it's kept on file for 3 years and you can reorder ammo without sending new paperwork.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    That's very nice. The carbine results were particularly impressive to me.

Dave

These old surplus rifles continue to amaze me how accurate iron sights can be. So far, the best I've done is 2 1/4 at 100 with my Savage No4, MkI*

In the carbine, I used reloads with Sierra 100 grain soft points and IMR 4227.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    What grease are you using? I didn't realize i was going to have to baby this garand so much. Good thing I did some reading instead of just buying some 30-06 and slinging some lead:)
    That long, slightly curved op rod is the Garand's Achilles heel. You'll notice that almost every more modern auto, even the Garand-based M14 uses a shorter, straighter, and therefore stronger op rod.

I use grease on certain parts of a lot of my guns because it just lasts longer than oil and does a better job in certain areas. At least one author has written (and performed a test to back it up) that proper lubrication is even more important than proper ammo in preventing damage to the Garand.

I use Montana Extreme gun grease because I like the syringe-type applicator it comes in, but when it's empty I'll probably refill it with some automotive grease.

Last edited:

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    +1 on Candyman
    +1 on Lubriplate

I ran out several years ago and bought RIG since it was there. RIG's good stuff too.

Dave

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Here's what Mr Grant Cunningham had to say about lubriplate.

For such things as autoloader slides and rifle bolts, Lubriplate "SFL" NLGI #0 grease is my choice. In my testing it's proven itself superior as a general lubricant. It is white, aluminum-based, low odor, has superb boundary lubricants, and is designed specifically for use in environments that encounter a huge temperature range. It's also resistant to water washout and acid/alkali environments, has great shear resistance, and doesn't oxidize like lithium greases will. As an all-around grease I've found nothing better. It's available from www.lubriplate.com, in their online store. It comes in a 14oz can which will last you for years - no matter how many guns you have!

(Lubriplate also makes SFL in heavier grades, such as NLGI #1. While thicker than the #0, it is still a pretty light grease, and would be my recommendation for very hot climates. The NLGI #0 is a better choice for most of the United States.)

I quoted that from a really good article about lubricants. It's a very informative read if you choose to read it.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

Dave

Top Bottom