tpso told me not to walk my dogs on the road.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    My girl and I were walking our dogs near our house when some loose dogs (animal control has been called mutiple timeson these dogs) attacked our dogs. They were 2-3 blocks from their property(they have at least 8 loose dogs). We callde the tpso and let them know what happened. after they talked to the owner they came back and had my girl walk the dog around in a circle while shined his light on it. He then said" that dog isnt hurt, and stop walking your dogs in that area agitating them. I cant give tickets to every one with a nuisance dog".

Old School

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    DTR
    Go straight to the top. Also get the local govt. involved in that area. Call 6 on your side, they hate that.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    There is a lease law for St. Tammany but I don't know what Tangi rules are. In St. Tammany any dog or cat unleashed is a possible ticket. Have you thought about trying pepper spray? I would push harder and hopefully find someone who cares. Little situations like yours have the potential to grow much larger. Imagine if your daughter was bit or you had to shoot a nuisance dog. Nothing good would come out of that
    FWIW livestock has to be contained, that includes chickens. Can you imagine the headache STPO would have if there was a phone call for every loose chicken.

Last edited:

Twoball

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2008
    Hammond
    This may not be the case here.....But often folks move from the "city" to the country to get away from the "city" ....then expect the country folks to immediately conform to their way of "city life".....

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    the problem isnt the dogs roaming in the country, its the attack.

the advice he SHOULD have given was "don't walk your dogs in that area aggravating any stray or unsecured dogs... without your gun."

I've had to shoot more than one.

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    My girl and I were walking our dogs near our house when some loose dogs (animal control has been called mutiple timeson these dogs) attacked our dogs. They were 2-3 blocks from their property(they have at least 8 loose dogs). We callde the tpso and let them know what happened. after they talked to the owner they came back and had my girl walk the dog around in a circle while shined his light on it. He then said" that dog isnt hurt, and stop walking your dogs in that area agitating them. I cant give tickets to every one with a nuisance dog".

Typical TPSO response. Das Sheriff decided that qualified, experienced, professional Police Officers were more trouble then they were worth. As a result...

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    This may not be the case here.....But often folks move from the "city" to the country to get away from the "city" ....then expect the country folks to immediately conform to their way of "city life".....

I've never heard where country livin' comes with the requirement of getting bit in the ass by a roaming dog. :dogkeke:

Vsotok10

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    CENLA
    Part of moving to the country is being self-sufficient and independent. Talk to your neighbors, if there is a history of these dogs attacking others then you should have plenty of support in the event that you take care of yours.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    Part of moving to the country is being self-sufficient and independent. Talk to your neighbors, if there is a history of these dogs attacking others then you should have plenty of support in the event that you take care of yours.

this isnt the "country" we are 3 houses outside of city limits.
    theyve killed cats and chickens of the neighbors, but theyve heard the same as us "well keep your chickens cooped" keep your cats inside", and have given up on tpso and tp animal control.

Twoball

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2008
    Hammond
    this isnt the "country" we are 3 houses outside of city limits.
    theyve killed cats and chickens of the neighbors, but theyve heard the same as us "well keep your chickens cooped" keep your cats inside", and have given up on tpso and tp animal control.

I started my reply with "This may not be the case here"....and that was before this information about the pack of dogs killing neighbors cats and chickens.......If the "problem dogs" are going onto other peoples property and killing their animals ..then this need to be corrected......I guess what I'm saying is ..if the problem dogs came onto your property and bit your dog you'd probably get a different response from animal control or the Sheriff's Office than if you walked your dogs in front of the problem dogs yard and the problem dogs came out after you.......Maybe the deputy was trying to tell you that if you walked your dog in the other direction you may not have any problems ....

Vsotok10

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    CENLA
    As stated in the op we were blocks ftom their property. Animal control and tpso doesnt care.

If the dogs are blocks from their home then the dogs' owner can't argue that they were "protecting the home front" or properly contained

The TPSO's apathy is a factor to consider when your having to defend yourself. Guaranteed bodily harm or possible citation?

Last edited:

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    There is a leash law in Tangipahoa. Write up an OP/ED and put it in the Hammond Daily Star. Get your neighbors together. Draw a little public attention. Go to some council meetings with like minded individuals. Keep going until they respond accordingly. Soon after, as these public servants start feeling some heat, things will change. You are not the only one that has run into this situation.

One more thing. If you're still living in "da hood"... move out.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom