Tracking lights

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    I didn't want to hijack the other thread but I'm putting together a few items that I need for deer season and I was wondering about what kind of lights do you like to use for tracking deer in the woods. I'm not asking about so-called "tracking" lights in particular unless you like them, just whatever kind flashlight/headlamp you've used that seems to work good for following blood trails.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Surefire G2 Keep it on me
    Pelican M10 Keep it in my bag
    Pelican Saberlite Keep it iin my truck

FWIW I have NEVER seen a tracking light worth a damn

Last edited:

Splat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Lafayette
    I saw the post about the tracking lights on the other posts. Primos has one and several other companies has them but everyone that I talked to that HAS used them has said that they are good for nothing. Mostly just a pitch. I would suggest I Surelight or something that has a bright white light/LED. I personally use a cheap $30 Coleman LED and the light almost gives off a bluish color because it's so bright. But as always with hunting, shot placement is key. I've never had a deer go more than 15 yards from where I blasted it. Bow hunting is a different story. Good luck, just be careful because there are a lot of crazy new hunting gear that is just gimmicks that comes out every year that does nothing to help the hunters.

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    But as always with hunting, shot placement is key
    be careful because there are a lot of crazy new hunting gear that is just gimmicks that comes out every year that does nothing to help the hunters.

No argument on those two very good points. That's why I'm asking before buying :). I'm just trying to rearrange my lighting situation for this year. For the last couple years I've been using a minimal headlamp but it caused a couple of wrong turns cause I couldn't see well enough. So I'm looking at this headlamp: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Petz...117&Ntt=petzl+tikka+xp+led+headlamp&WTz_l=PPC and I always carry at least one extra flashlight too.

I'm gonna look into one of those high power surefire/pelican lights or something similar. Those are substantially more powerful than the back up light I have now. I like to hunt the thick stuff and thinking about it here, a powerful piercing beam like that would probably be good for spotting an animal that's down in a thicket like they do.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom