Traffic Stop on CC Permittee (Almost goes haywire)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Simple Lessons to learn here folks.

The CHP Holder tells the FLORIDA Deputy;
    "When we went to that damn school they said if they don't ask you don't worry with it"-paraphrase.

Also it looked like the Officer didn't disarm him immediately after cuffing him? but did so after securing the vehicle? Mistake? :dunno:

It seems there is a brandishing Law in Florida? The DP mentions him being in violation of his permit b/c his shirt flew up and it was no longer concealed
    I found this - Florida Statute 790.10

FL Deputy

Last edited:

Kuhlman187

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Typical... notice the flagrant use of the F-word for no reason. Guy showed 0 threat, i understand he has a weapon and it was dumb not to make that crystal clear as soon as you stepped out, but why do cops feel like they have to not talk, but SHOUT down to people using obscene language? Regardless of your job status, are you that unintelligent you can't use a word other than f*ck? seriously? F*ck is a word you use when you aren't smart enough to come up with a more useful and/or meaningful verb/adjective/noun.

*notice also "i will shoot you in the f*cking back"... If a civilian shoots an intruder in the back it's murder, if a cop does it it's ok?!?!

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    That old fella couldn't jump any further than I can fly with a cape....So , if your shirttail flies up you're brandishing a weapon ? It may have been a good thing to inform the deputy of his weapon, if he doesn't ask I wont tell !!! If he asks I will gladly surrender my weapon.....The deputy took control of the situation quickly, but shouldn't have placed the guy under arrest !!! I know a deputy would be looking for a job !!

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Typical... notice the flagrant use of the F-word for no reason. Guy showed 0 threat, i understand he has a weapon and it was dumb not to make that crystal clear as soon as you stepped out, but why do cops feel like they have to not talk, but SHOUT down to people using obscene language? Regardless of your job status, are you that unintelligent you can't use a word other than f*ck? seriously? F*ck is a word you use when you aren't smart enough to come up with a more useful and/or meaningful verb/adjective/noun.

*notice also "i will shoot you in the f*cking back"... If a civilian shoots an intruder in the back it's murder, if a cop does it it's ok?!?!

Surprises aren't taken lightly in the LE World, and for good reason.

The DP did not act out of order IMO, besides the delay in disarming him. So yea his adrenaline had him speaking LOUD, CLEAR & CONCISE with a curse word or two. The man cursed too.

One thing is for sure and I think it's the most important; The man knew EXACTLY what the Officer was telling him to do. There was no confusion. He can file his complaint later for the DP cursing at him.

The brandishing charge I think was a combination of being surprised. Had the man stepped out and declared he was armed. The Officer would have told him to turn around and face the vehicle. Had his shirt tail rode up then brandishing the gun, I don't think the Officer would have reacted the same. But that's not what happens.

And I don’t know about you but I don’t curse much anymore. But if I’m startled by something or step on a toy in the middle of the night on the way to the bathroom, yea I might let out an explicative or three. It's not a part of my daily language but it happens.

Last edited:

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    Amzing how calm the woman remained throughout the whole ordeal..

The patrolman, well, he is gonna need to undergo a little more training before he gets back on the job!!:draw:

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Surprises aren't taken lightly in the LE World, and for good reason.

The DP did not act out of order IMO, besides the delay in disarming him. So yea his adrenaline had him speaking LOUD, CLEAR & CONCISE with a curse word or two. The man cursed too.

One thing is for sure and I think it's the most important; The man knew EXACTLY what the Officer was telling him to do. There was no confusion. He can file his complaint later for the DP cursing at him.

The brandishing charge I think was a combination of being surprised. Had the man stepped out and declared he was armed. The Officer would have told him to turn around and face the vehicle. Had his shirt tail rode up then brandishing the gun, I don't think the Officer would have reacted the same. But that's not what happens.

And I don’t know about you but I don’t curse much anymore. But if I’m startled by something or step on a toy in the middle of the night on the way to the bathroom, yea I might let out an explicative or three. It's not a part of my daily language but it happens.

That "brandishing" charge looks pretty suspicious to me. Careless? Don't know about that either. The guy is overweight. It is very common for overweight men to wear shirts like that.

What about the verbiage on the CHP statute that may clear up whether it's mandatory to tell the officer of your gun or not voluntarily?

Kuhlman187

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I'm not saying he was wrong. I'm not in LE and won't ever pretend to be so i don't have much of an idea of what they go through. But if i start telling the cop "i'll shoot you in the f*cking back" what do you think the consequences of said actions might be? I don't think it's ok for the cop to threaten the mans life just because he's a cop and the nature of his job is dangerous. Especially when the first thing I've always been asked BEFORE getting out of the vehicle and AFTER he told me to turn the car off. "Do you have any illegal drugs or weapons on you sir?" At which point you explain you have a weapon on you, etc.

regardless, i still try and thank members of LE, Military, EMS etc. when i have the chance. Majority are really good people, unfortunately good deeds don't usually make for youtube hits.

Legos in the middle of the hallway, miniature land mines!

Johnnyo

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I was recently pulled over by a MS Highway Patrolman near Meridian MS. I had my CC in my right front pocket.
    I did exactly what I was taught in CCL class. I stayed in my truck with both hands on the steering wheel in full view. When the officer asked for my license, I gave him my DL and my CCL and told him I had a weapon in my pocket. He responded by saying "As long as you leave it there, everything's ok,"
    We owe it to our LEOs not to surprise them in any way. It's a dangerous world out there.

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    The verbiage here, I know, is to inform the LEO up front.
    Makes things go a lot smoother.
    I've been pulled over once, since I've had mine, and told him I had it (though had nothing on me at that moment), and let him tell me what he wanted me to do.
    He was very professional, and assesed I wasn't a threat, and let it go without a search, or question, and had good humor about the whole thing.
    Just a quick cudos to a polite officer, doing his job in a professional manner.

I think the old timer should have been up front about having something on his person, though.
    He said he'd been through that scenario before.
    I danged sure wouldn't have grabbed that wallet like he did, and whip it out there, without saying something about it, first.
    I personally wouldn't want to have to deal with what he went through, and would try to do whatever I could have, to avoid confrontation.
    But, the officer did get a bit worked up, moreso than I felt the situation called for.
    The man was compliant with everything the officer demanded, and the guy appeared to have no intention of being belligerent with him.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I was recently pulled over by a MS Highway Patrolman near Meridian MS. I had my CC in my right front pocket.
    I did exactly what I was taught in CCL class. I stayed in my truck with both hands on the steering wheel in full view. When the officer asked for my license, I gave him my DL and my CCL and told him I had a weapon in my pocket. He responded by saying "As long as you leave it there, everything's ok,"
    We owe it to our LEOs not to surprise them in any way. It's a dangerous world out there.

So you complied with the Laws that you agreed to comply with when you filled out your CHP Packet and..........you weren't arrested?

Genius!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Not her first time...or his... :dunno:

It's Florida Mayne :D

You do love to try to catch me, don't you?

You posted the brandishing a weapon statute for Florida but not the CHP statute?!? You're the Poster. I was wondering what the verbiage of the "FLORIDA" CHP statute was concerning that. I have heard and read the "LOUISIANA" CHP statute ad naseum on here. :cool:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    You do love to try to catch me, don't you?

You posted the brandishing a weapon statute for Florida but not the CHP statute?!? You're the Poster. I was wondering what the verbiage of the "FLORIDA" CHP statute was concerning that. I have heard and read the "LOUISIANA" CHP statute ad naseum on here. :cool:

Uh oh. It seems the Man could have been right;

Informing Law Enforcement of Carry:
    Informing law enforcement is required upon demand.
    http://www.usacarry.com/florida_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    Rook maybe? You know training never really simulates the REAL thing. I think it was his first encounter possibly.
    I could see that being a possibility, but listening to some of the following chatter, after he cuffed him, didn't make me believe so.

Top Bottom