Traffic violation in Orleans

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Yesterday I got one if those silly traffic camera violations in the mail. It was a $135 ticket for "disregarding a red light" on the corner of Carrollton and Banks in Mid City. I was traveling northbound on Carrollton and as I approached Banks, the red light was on so I stopped briefly at the corner to check oncoming traffic, confirmed that my path was clear and proceeded to make my right turn onto Banks.....apparently, that's when my violation occurred. There are also no posted signs in the vicinity of that intersection that says No Right On Red.

Now, I'm not fully versed on traffic laws in Orleans Parish, but if there is no sign in a signalled intersection indicating NO RIGHT ON RED and I approach the intersection during a red light with the intention of making a right turn, isn't it legal to yield at that intersection during a red light and make a right turn after confirming that there is no oncoming traffic even during the red light? I'm thinking about contesting this ticket but I'm not sure of what is exactly correct in this situation.

Last edited:

fr3nchy524

resident asian shooter!
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    new orleans
    i got a ticket, same spot. im assuming to them.... RED MEANS you have to come to a complete stop without hitting those road sensors.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    I did stop. I stood there for at least 5 seconds because a car was crossing the intersection. After he passed, I made my turn. If i can't make a right on red, then it should be indicated at the intersection.

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    i got a ticket, same spot. im assuming to them.... RED MEANS you have to come to a complete stop without hitting those road sensors.

That's what RED MEANS. We usually give some lead way if you are not completely stopped but not all places do this.

MOTOR51

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I did stop. I stood there for at least 5 seconds because a car was crossing the intersection. After he passed, I made my turn.

If its not posted then you can make a right on red after a stop. You can also make a left on red if its onto a one way street if not posted otherwise. There should be an attached video to go along with the ticket if its the same as the ones in Baton Rouge. Post the video if possible.

MOTOR51

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Yesterday I got one if those silly traffic camera violations in the mail. It was a $135 ticket for "disregarding a red light" on the corner of Carrollton and Banks in Mid City. I was traveling northbound on Carrollton and as I approached Banks, the red light was on so I stopped briefly at the corner to check oncoming traffic, confirmed that my path was clear and proceeded to make my right turn onto Banks.....apparently, that's when my violation occurred. There are also no posted signs in the vicinity of that intersection that says No Right On Red.

Now, I'm not fully versed on traffic laws in Orleans Parish, but if there is no sign in a signalled intersection indicating NO RIGHT ON RED and I approach the intersection during a red light with the intention of making a right turn, isn't it legal to yield at that intersection during a red light and make a right turn after confirming that there is no oncoming traffic even during the red light? I'm thinking about contesting this ticket but I'm not sure of what is exactly correct in this situation.

i believe there is a website address on the citation that takes you to a site where you can see video of the violation.

The citation was also reviewed by a member of NOPD before it was mailed out to you.

Northbound on Carrolton? You were between Tulane and Banks street approaching banks and then turned river bound onto Banks street right?

JR1572

gotabyte

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Slidell, LA
    They will probably state that you did not stop before the white line when stopped. The city does not keep the stripes up to code. So you can contest that. I recently beat an erroneous speeding in school zone violation while school was out, 31 in a 35 which is 4 mph under but school was 25. They dropped it but the sleaze factor cost the city more because I redirected our meetings and hotel stays for a company i work for to Mississippi because of their scam. It cost the city a few thousand in tax revenue. Screw crooked politicians and don't buy in the city whether you win or lose.

Last edited:

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    They will probably state that you did not stop before the white line when stopped. The city does not keep the stripes up to code. So you can contest that. I recently beat an erroneous speeding in school zone violation while school was out, 31 in a 35 which is 4 mph under but school was 25. They dropped it but the sleaze factor cost the city more because I redirected our meetings and hotel stays for a company i work for to Mississippi because of their scam. It cost the city a few thousand in tax revenue. Screw crooked politicians and don't buy in the city whether you win or lose.

What is the code? It's actually pretty lax IIRC

ΜΟΡΟΝ ΛΑΒΙΑ

gotabyte

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Slidell, LA
    What is the code? It's actually pretty lax IIRC

ΜΟΡΟΝ ΛΑΒΙΑ

The stripes have to cross the street entirely and be a with required by DOTD. My friend works for Boh Bros and this is required for their contracts. I don't know a specific ordinance or DOTD code number.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    I'll have to check the video when I get home tomorrow. Somehow, my phone won't play the vid in the link. The question still remains, though. Is it legal to make a right on red if there is no sign that prohibits that action?

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    32:232 You can make a right turn on red if there are no signs prohibiting it. You must come to a complete stop before you enter the intersection, and proceed with caution. You can also turn left on red if you are on a one way street turning onto a one way street. This is in the state of Louisiana, don't know about the state of New Orleans.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Could have to do with where the "intersection" really is...like stopping before the line before proceeding versus stopping over the line and proceeding...I've been warned when visiting other cities that they will ticket you if you cross that line at all on a stop. It might have been Atlanta or Tulsa or both..

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom