Travelling to Japan

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr_Willson

rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    mandeville
    I am leaving to japan in a few weeks and was just wondering what travel advice folks on bayoushooter have to offer for those who have been.

Im going to be staying at a friend's place on yokota air base and im going to be there from april 16th to may 27th, should be plenty of time to see everything.

so for someone who is a bit inclined to save his money, any tips or info would be greatly appreciated.

building a list of things to do.

au01st

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2014
    Alexandria, LA
    No advice on what to do, but if you see a skinny ginger with glasses on base with "Harsh" on his name badge, tell him Jeff said hey, lol.

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    I was stationed in Yokosuka 25 years ago, which is about an hour away from Yokota. We used to rent cars and drive to Yokota because the girls there were so much better looking that the ones on the Navy base.

I remember going to Akihabara near Tokyo quite a bit because it's known as "electric town" and you can find ANY electric device there and pretty cheap back then.

Also, if you're so inclined, go climb Mt. Fuji.

And if you're really inclined, take a trip to Hiroshima or Nagasaki and visit the guilt museum where the bomb dropped at ground zero. Lots of history there and very interesting artifacts. But if you do, please be very considerate of the people there, most still hold a grudge.

Mr_Willson

rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    mandeville
    I was stationed in Yokosuka 25 years ago, which is about an hour away from Yokota. We used to rent cars and drive to Yokota because the girls there were so much better looking that the ones on the Navy base.

I remember going to Akihabara near Tokyo quite a bit because it's known as "electric town" and you can find ANY electric device there and pretty cheap back then.

And if you're really inclined, take a trip to Hiroshima or Nagasaki and visit the guilt museum where the bomb dropped at ground zero. Lots of history there and very interesting artifacts. But if you do, please be very considerate of the people there, most still hold a grudge.

I oredered a rail pass to ensure I can travel everywhere, hiroshima was part of the plan, but im not sure just how much of the west is worth going to besides that.

Mr_Willson

rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    mandeville

probably going to visit akihabara a lot. I hear its still like that.

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    If you're using the same luggage that you use for hunting trips or trips to the range, check them VERY carefully for loose rounds of ammo. I read a facebook post about someone trying to get on a cruise ship with a round of rifle ammo in his carry on. He eventually got on but he was delayed a while. I'd image airport security would be lots worst.

BlueHeaven

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 16, 2014
    Kenner, La
    Just my .02$, but I wouldn't tell anyone exactly how long I would be away from my home. I'm sure everyone is honest and not home invaders on this site.

au01st

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2014
    Alexandria, LA
    If you're using the same luggage that you use for hunting trips or trips to the range, check them VERY carefully for loose rounds of ammo. I read a facebook post about someone trying to get on a cruise ship with a round of rifle ammo in his carry on. He eventually got on but he was delayed a while. I'd image airport security would be lots worst.

And K9 units at the airport will alert to your bag. Ask me how I know, lol.

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    Hike Mt Fuji.

See Tokyo Disney.

Spend a few nights out in Roppongi.

Cany wait to go back next year and visit my son. He pcs's to Sasabo in May. Already saving up. I spenta6 weeks at USMC Camp Fuji and 4 weeks at Yokosuka on med hold after an injury in late 2000. Japan is an awesome place with a fascinating culture. Enjoy your trip.

Mr_Willson

rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    mandeville
    Hike Mt Fuji.

See Tokyo Disney.

Spend a few nights out in Roppongi.

Cany wait to go back next year and visit my son. He pcs's to Sasabo in May. Already saving up. I spenta6 weeks at USMC Camp Fuji and 4 weeks at Yokosuka on med hold after an injury in late 2000. Japan is an awesome place with a fascinating culture. Enjoy your trip.

roppongi?

and thank you, im pretty excited about it.

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    It's not about your card working. When the bank sees overseas purchases they may freeze your account until you verify the purchases. I ran into the problem here in Guantanamo because even though it is a US base, all of the businesses call a different part of the US home so when purchases start popping up in miami, long beach, new york...etc the bank sends me an alert that needs to verify card usage within 24 hours.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    if you're an outdoors guy hike the hinohara falls. its a short drive out fussa and well worth the effort.

ride the line to ryogoku station and youll see the sumo arena there across the way. thats awesome good fun for a night out.

if you get bored, nanso? is a couple hours away, to hike and see the matsumoto castle. take your shoes the F off before you go inside!

at fine dining or around town if it happens so, just give an ever so slight bow (more like a head bob like your friend is wearing goofy shoes... or that "gym nod" you do to other guys, double that) to anyone that extends the courtesy. the lower your bow, the more "respectful" - bowing too far would be like saluting the lady at mcdonalds and its taken as if you are mocking them- a slight bob will do and make you look like a seasoned traveler.

you've got buddies at yokota, theyll fill you in on all the goodies. enjoy it man, its a blast. I was in kadena for 4 years then back to yokota for a few months- both as a teen.

most importantly: take pics for your fellow bayoushooters.

Last edited:

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    most importantly: take pics for your fellow bayoushooters

^^^^^^THIS PLEASE^^^^^^. I'd love the opportunity to go there!! It has so much history and culture and everybody I know who has served or visited there say its awesome and they love the people there....Most just regular Joes like the rest of us watching our goverments screw up things....

Top Bottom