Trigger Finger

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nikolai

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Any ever heard of pulling the trigger with your middle finger while your index is extended under the slide, as if pointing at your target? I'm pretty sure I already know what the answer is going to be, but I'm pretty ignorant, so I'll ask anyway.

My dad said his CCW instructor showed this to him and he saw an instant and substantial increase in accuracy. To this my response was :eek3:. He also mentioned that it helped when firing in low light without night sights as you are basically just pointing at your target.

nikolai

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I'm sure there was no misunderstanding, but, just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting that you don't use the sights or only one hand. I assume the intention for low light scenarios would be that having a pointer is better than shooting completely blind.

Honestly, the first thing I thought about when he told me this was at the climax of "Sniper" after they'd jacked up his trigger finger. :)

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I've heard it referred to in this way.
    He "Rubyed the trigger"

I'd go with Mr. LSP on this, He apparantly knows his stuff. As do most of the people he associates with.

If you are that close weapon retention may be high on your list of priorities. It could get to the top real quick. Not shooting your self is also a nice touch.

I have tried it on a rifle & a hand gun just for kicks. On a rifle/shotgun the index finger running down the fore end does help you point closer to point of aim quickly. It is taught by some shotgun instructors & US military has it in at least one training manual. It more for quick acquisition type of shooting.

On a handgun one grip method is hard enough to master. I still don't feel like I've gotten my grip to be consistent & repeatable enough.

coonassplumber

Resident Turdsmith'
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Google point shooting and you'll find all kinds of crap...I've shot that way since I got my first Daisy in '74. My old man still makes fun of me for it...but I can't hit **** anyway so maybe you oughta listen to LSP.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I did that with all my cap guns, etc. when I was a kid, but not on real firearms. It worked GREAT on old school Nintendo Duck Hunt

Shooting is a unique skill in that anybody can do it once they are taught the proper technique. If you can grip the weapon and pull the trigger you can shoot, and shoot well. The technique is pretty standard and there is no secret or voodoo in how to shoot well.

I'll stick to the tried and true methods taught to me by a couple of great shooters, one of whom you all know.

Witness

>Glock
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    baton rouge
    just out of curiosity... how in the HELL did you know that :eek3:

That's an old assassin's trick. Sikes and Fairbairn popularized it in Hong Kong in the 30s, but AFAIK they didn't claim to have invented it.

Check out the famous photo taken when Jack Ruby did Oswald with a Detective Special snubby.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I'll shoot like that at times with subcompact pistols, 2 handed, right & left index fingers underneath the slide. I don't think that it's a bad way to shoot, it can help grip the smaller guns more comfortably, but I do not train to shoot that way. That is not how I want my instinctual grip to be.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I like to try different thing just to see. Often I conclude there is no advantage. Sometimes when you get off in the ditch the middle of the road starts looking real attractive. I think the tried & true method is the best starting point, usually because it has been proven over a length of time. A lot of unconvetional methods have an achilles heel your not privy to until you have a bad habit to unlearn.
    But you gotta try things. (As long as it is safe) Even if they prove to not work you still learn something.
    Later,
    RDO

coonassplumber

Resident Turdsmith'
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Hmmnn...I'm wonderin about extending that finger especially with a revolver. Too close to the gasses methinks...

Absolutely....guy posted a pic of what was left of his index finger after shooting like that on Glock Talk awile back and it was pretty ugly. I use my index for trigger when I shoot my Vaqueros'.

Top Bottom