Trustworthy Appliance Repair?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    I've got a 10-yr old electric clothes dryer that has some problems, and I'm not an appliance repairman. So, I'm debating whether it's more sensible to junk it and buy another (equivalent would cost ~$500) or to call a repairman out to check it out and hopefully repair it. Can anybody recommend a trustworthy repair service in the Denham Springs / Walker area?

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    http://www.repairclinic.com/

Dryers aren't all that difficult - not too many parts. Try going to the RepariClinic.com and see if their troubleshooter can help you make a diagnosis. Easy to follow, and sometimes it will be brand specific if you enter your serial number. they've saved me a bunch of money over the years.

Rule of thumb on replacing an appliance is replace it if the repair will cost at least half of a new one. So even if you can't do the repair yourself, maybe the troubleshooter will give you a ballpark figure on the repair.

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    I would also go to that site or there are a couple of others that offer diagnoses. I have fixed 2 dryers in my time and only spent about $75 in parts for both. The problem with new dryers is all the electronic controls. A 10 year old dryer probably does not have anything that complicated so it should be easy to fix. If you get a new one it is going to have some complicated electronic panel and those are prone to failure. If you can prolong the life of your current dryer it would be worth it. And, by the way, we did have a repairman come look at this fancy washer a neighbor gave us with a broken control panel and the control panel was about $150 and the kicker is when he got to our house and looked at it he asked my wife to borrow her computer. He went on YouTube and watched a video on how to replace it. When I got home and my wife told me I was pissed. I could have done that. Now I look at YouTube for videos on fixing stuff all the time.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    This one near Carter's Grocery North of Denham Springs has a good reputation.

Young's Appliance Repair
    9267 Cockerham Road
    Denham Springs
    225-665-2120

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    http://www.repairclinic.com/

Dryers aren't all that difficult - not too many parts...

Looks like a great source of info and parts! I entered my dryers model #, got specific parts and videos. I suspect the problem is a worn drum bearing, and after watching the video that looks like a simple repair. Parts are on order, due here Wednesday. Thanks for the info -- that site is permanently bookmarked!

Untranslate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2012
    Dunno what the problem is BUT before you bring it anywhere check the FUSE. Every dryer has one and it is often the problem. Locate it and check 1st.

Top Bottom