Trying for the perfect steak..

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Okay, I don't need perfect. But a good one would be great. I've tried twice do far, both times on a black cast iron skillet on the stove top. I'm thinking this is part of my problem, along with not putting enough seasoning. My first try was some filets, second was ribeye. Mind sharing your favorite ways? Certain seasonings, time, heat? Anything appreciated. Thanks.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Large course SEA SALT and cracked black pepper. NOTHING MORE.. Hard to believe but FANTASTIC! I like mine mooing (Very Rare) so I sear it and then oven it for a very short time.

This may not sound like anything exciting but it is the best way for steak!

Sear in the Cast Iron skillet and then just put it all in the oven depending on how you like it cooked through. Comes out sizzling and smelling like heaven!

Last edited:

calcagno45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Gramercy, LA
    I stick with about 1" thick bone in ribeyes usually. I let the meat come to room temp before cooking. Season with salt, pepper and worchstershire as meat temp is dropping. Meanwhile BBQ grill is getting hot as hell, 450*.
    Put steaks on grill, 4 minutes one side, flip, and 4 minutes on the other. Then take off the grill and let sit for at least 5 minutes before eating.

Last edited:

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Large course SEA SALT and cracked black pepper. NOTHING MORE.. Hard to believe but FANTASTIC! I like mine mooing (Very Rare) so I sear it and then oven it for a very short time.

Sear in the Cast Iron skillet and then just put it all in the oven depending on how you like it cooked through. Comes out sizzling and smelling like heaven!

I was told a very similar way. I use Kosher Sea Salt, pepper, and maybe some garlic powder if I don't have fresh garlic. I heat up a skillet with Canola Oil, toss the steak in and cook for 2 to 3 mins per side, depending on the thickness of the steak. Goal is to have the outside almost burned, and the inside still pink. Also, let the steak get to room temperature after seasoning it, pat the moisture off, then cook it.

I have tried all kinds of marinades, rubs, a ton of stuff, and simpler is better, just some salt and pepper is all you really need. I do put a little butter in before I flip the steak. Got a little fillet mignon getting close to room temperature now. :)

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I did buy kosher salt and cracked pepper to use, but seen the McCormick steak seasoning which was mostly paper and salt, and had many good reviews. Will just use the salt and pepper next time. I heated the black skillet (on electric grill) and coated bottom with Canola oil, and let cook for 5 minutes on each side, then wrap in foil for 10 min before eating. I think my problem was not enough seasoning honestly. The steak also didn't turn out as "pretty" as he restaurant, meaning it didn't seem to cook evenly as it had some dark spots. I like my steak between rare/medium rare. I also coated with a little melted butter before flipping, maybe this is the reason for the different coloring.

I also let them get to room temp before.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Let a ribeye come up to room temp. I put enough sea salt on both sides to scare most grown men and let it sit 10 minutes. Then enough fresh cracked black pepper to cover the salt, and let it sit a few minutes while the cast iron pan heats(med high for at least 5 min).
    You can lightly or liberally butter the steak with room temp butter so it doesn't smear the seasoning.
    Take the smoke detector down and remove a battery.
    Toss the steak in and walk away for 3 min, flip it using tongs and walk away for 2 min then cut off the power plate it and pour any pan drippings over the top. Let sit for 2-5 minutes then devour!

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La

^^^^^ What he said. Look up the Alton Brown method of cooking a steak. Hes perfected the way a steak should be cooked. Make sure the steak is at room temp before cooking or it will get tough as soon as it hits the heat. Less is more when it comes to seasoning. If you think it needed more seasoning, get better meat. It's just coarse sea salt and coarse black pepper on mine. Anything over medium rare is a waste of good steak. If your are going to over cook it, just eat a sandwhich. And just like you did, cover with foil and let rest for about 10 minutes. It redistributes the juices and gives you a steak that gushes when you cut into it. Sometimes I like to make a garlic and basil butter compound to top the steak with if I'm feeling fancy, but it's mostly just salt and black pepper. Share some pics next time you cook one. I like steak more than guns and N4sir hasn't posted in a while!

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    5 minutes per side sounds like a recipe for shoe leather... I only do steaks on hot coals, 1 minute per side, then 1 or 2 minutes per side depending on thickness. Salt before cooking, then pepper after it's done.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    5 minutes per side sounds like a recipe for shoe leather... I only do steaks on hot coals, 1 minute per side, then 1 or 2 minutes per side depending on thickness. Salt before cooking, then pepper after it's done.

+1
    Heat is the key. I use the afterburner method. Fill a charcoal chimney with coals and let them burn until even the top coals are on fire. Put a grill on top of the chimney and get ready to flip your steaks. 30-45 seconds per side give an awesome sear.

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish

Me and my brother are almost exactly alike. I do prefer to use a cast iron for searing however.

Bring the steaks up to room temperature, apply necessary salt. Less is more. I use about a teaspoon for the whole thing. Let sit for a few minutes, then into the HOT skillet. Right at a minute both sides, then another minute on each side after searing. The most important thing is to let it sit for about 5mins after cooking it to let the juices redistribute. After it rests, apply fresh cracked pepper, and enjoy.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)

This is how I do mine. All about the sea salt and black pepper, both from a grinder. Short sear on both sides in a HOT cast iron skillet and finish in the oven. Let it rest a few min. I like them medium rare to medium. I use the thumb muscle method to determine doneness.

I usually top with sautéed mushrooms, onions and garlic.

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    Some of the best steaks I ever had were by a cook offshore who marinated the steaks in milk in a large walk-in cooler for a couple of days before bringing to room temperature and then grilling. Salt and pepper as stated above.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Thanks guys, I still have two ribeyes, will try again tomorrow night, and will report back. If weather isn't bad I'll cook outside on the gas grill with black skillet. Will season with just the salt and pepper instead of the pre-mixed, cook less, and snap pics. Thanks guys

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Cooked my steak a little bit too long, but still damn tasty! I am cooking with an electric stove, so I let it warm up for a while, then let the skillet heat up. Make sure that sucker is the temp you want.

Seasonings: seasonings.jpg

Cook it! Let it rest for a bit, and eat.

Done.jpg

About 3 mins per side, I might have done better with a little more heat, and a little less cook time. The red pepper really gave it some heat, love it! But still using the basic salt and pepper method.

Last edited:

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    That looks tasty!!!

I have had some steaks that were better than other steaks, but have honestly never had a steak that did not have some redeeming quality. I just love steak. I think about 30 seconds less per side would have had that steak about as perfect as they get. Good thing they come in packs of two. Will see how the other one does Thursday.

Top Bottom