Trying to find out if I can Legally own a gun.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2024
    Gonzales, LA
    Hello everyone : ) - My name is Derek, I live in Gonzales Louisiana. So I am trying to better understand louisiana's gun laws as their kinda hard for me to understand. But, mostly I am trying to figure out if I can ever legaly own a gun in the first place. I have never done and crimes except playing music too loud as a teen and got hit with disturbing the peace, lol. I do have autism and live off ssi. I own many pellet guns, swords ect. I love shooting guns at a friends house, its just he has zombie killers like shotguns, revolvers like 38s and a few semi auto assault rifles. Those are way overpowered for me and I don't care for them as much as another friends Rugar Mk3 which is a 22 cal.

So, I was in mental wards as a child, I am 38 now, I was in assisted living untill age like, 27. I am very social, cool headed and am very aware of the dangers of owning a gun as I lived with said friend and his guns and I cleaned them, shot them ect.

My question is, is it cool for me to buy me one of those cool naboo blaster looking Rugar Mk3s that is a 22 to shoot at my friends so I don't have to keep shooting his super loud big guns?
    I don't wanna step on any laws and is why I am asking, I love the art of shooting and think its time i step up from my tipical .177, .22 & .30 I have been shooting.

I love Ruger, such a cool & unique design, I love the weight, feel and gun shooting is a dangerous but fun part of being an american & I want to get in on it.

Is there anyone in louisiana who can shine a light on this dark subject so I can do this legaly & the right way? I am thankful for any and all help anyone can provide me with, & thank you all so much : )

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2024
    Gonzales, LA
    Wow, what a first post… I’d contact a lawyer… or I’m sure some on the site will be along shortly … welcome and good luck to you bro

Hello and thank you for the reply, I hope someone from this site can help me, but yes I plan to contact a lawyer but I am so new to this field, lol, I don't even know if there is a spacific lawyer I need to contact or not but, if theres a will theres a way, in a good way I meant, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm sure you will get a lot of opinions from a lot of members. Please remember, no information should be viewed as legal advice. "But that's what someone on the internet said" is not a legal defense. And not everyone you meet will be a friend.

Since you opened the door, I'm going to ask some questions. Please only answer them if you want to. If you don't want an answer to be public, you don't have to answer. You mentioned assisted living until about 11 years ago. Was that mental assistance or physical assistance? Does anyone have power of attorney over your mental or medical care or are you the one that makes all of the decisions on that matter?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2024
    Gonzales, LA
    I'm sure you will get a lot of opinions from a lot of members. Please remember, no information should be viewed as legal advice. "But that's what someone on the internet said" is not a legal defense. And not everyone you meet will be a friend.

Since you opened the door, I'm going to ask some questions. Please only answer them if you want to. If you don't want an answer to be public, you don't have to answer. You mentioned assisted living until about 11 years ago. Was that mental assistance or physical assistance? Does anyone have power of attorney over your mental or medical care or are you the one that makes all of the decisions on that matter?
    ok so, so at that time i was on the louisiana waver program, it was having a staff member sit with me to just try to develop life skills, social skills ect, I was also in martial arts, free to go into the city alone and went to many shooting ranges with staff, now was i say, consitered mental case, like a threat to self and others? no, I did not get along with all staff, but no, I was pretty much independant minuse my sit in staff, when I was a child I went to noah, depauls and SELH as a child I had turrets syndrom, add adhd and was a democ child, lol, my childhood was really bad, and by bad i mean i was the kid who raged when he didnt get his way lol.

SORRY: I had to edit this in because I guess I didn't read your full repply, lol, I have full apsolute power over myself, my life and everything in it, be it medical or otherwise.

I signed out of assisted living against drs orders, bu, they were very corrupt, as the last assisted living program i was in, the staff member brought me to his house where there were drugs, he was fired for cliant endangerment, this is why i left, since then I have lived on my own building a better me in Maurepas louisiana. Now, I live with my father who has many guns. I asked him about the process of owning one but he doesn't want me having one because he thinks I am childish because I am a huge cosplayer, anime lover ect and for that reason he thinks i am not responsable enough to have one despite me being around them, shooting and cleaning them for years while staying with friends.

I have nothing to hide so ask away, lol. I am a hyper positive person who likes to think positivly on everything, oh, and if i mis spell a lot, i type fast on a small keyboard and wasnt able to finish school so my spelling is meh, lol.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2024
    Gonzales, LA
    The fact you ask, well that says volumes about your seriousness about the topic.

I have no idea if you can legally own a gun, but please do not let anyone discourage you from figuring it out.
    Yea when my father dies and he ain't got long, I moved in with him to help him out, his guns go to my sister and I will be alone, so I wanted something for fun and home defense but 9 mills and 45 like what my father has are way too loud and powerful, I just want my naboo blaster aka Rugar Mk2 stainless edition with it's kiddy rounds aka 22 long rifle rounds and that will do nicely, lol. I'd ask father but he doesn't like talking about guns with me too much

Savedbygrace

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2023
    New Orleans Louisiana
    Hello everyone : ) - My name is Derek, I live in Gonzales Louisiana. So I am trying to better understand louisiana's gun laws as their kinda hard for me to understand. But, mostly I am trying to figure out if I can ever legaly own a gun in the first place. I have never done and crimes except playing music too loud as a teen and got hit with disturbing the peace, lol. I do have autism and live off ssi. I own many pellet guns, swords ect. I love shooting guns at a friends house, its just he has zombie killers like shotguns, revolvers like 38s and a few semi auto assault rifles. Those are way overpowered for me and I don't care for them as much as another friends Rugar Mk3 which is a 22 cal.

So, I was in mental wards as a child, I am 38 now, I was in assisted living untill age like, 27. I am very social, cool headed and am very aware of the dangers of owning a gun as I lived with said friend and his guns and I cleaned them, shot them ect.

My question is, is it cool for me to buy me one of those cool naboo blaster looking Rugar Mk3s that is a 22 to shoot at my friends so I don't have to keep shooting his super loud big guns?
    I don't wanna step on any laws and is why I am asking, I love the art of shooting and think its time i step up from my tipical .177, .22 & .30 I have been shooting.

I love Ruger, such a cool & unique design, I love the weight, feel and gun shooting is a dangerous but fun part of being an american & I want to get in on it.

Is there anyone in louisiana who can shine a light on this dark subject so I can do this legaly & the right way? I am thankful for any and all help anyone can provide me with, & thank you all so much : )
    Welcome friend. He’s right . Should ask a lawyer. Hope you can get em

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2024
    Gonzales, LA
    H

Firearms Transaction Record

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/4...n-record-over-counter-atf-form-53009/download
    Read the above document. Answer the questions in section 21 honestly.
    These are the things that will disqualify you.
    ey man wow, you just helped me out in way beyond words, I been looking for this info like crazy wow, lol. So, the only thing I see on the worm and what I was worried about, it asked about a mental defective, I assume that means a state of mind that would render one unable to function with the level of responsibility and awareness required to know the laws and responsibilities around ownership and possession of a gun.

As a child I had was in a few psychiatric facilities, but none were ordered by any legal means, just by a Dr, and was because I had lots of anger issues as a child, none of which has been around since late teenhood. I've been mentally competent and strong and very aware all my life, would I answer no on this question? Even as a child in those facilities, I wasn't mentally unaware or incapable of knowing right and wrong and was fully aware of laws and had rather great situational awareness. 1st solution to any issue is acknowledging there is one and that's the reason I was able to leave that life behind and become independent of all of that early on. Also if I print this out and take it to pelican pawn which is my nearest FFL dealer, can I provide this filled out to pick up my blaster/gun?

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    H

ey man wow, you just helped me out in way beyond words, I been looking for this info like crazy wow, lol. So, the only thing I see on the worm and what I was worried about, it asked about a mental defective, I assume that means a state of mind that would render one unable to function with the level of responsibility and awareness required to know the laws and responsibilities around ownership and possession of a gun.

As a child I had was in a few psychiatric facilities, but none were ordered by any legal means, just by a Dr, and was because I had lots of anger issues as a child, none of which has been around since late teenhood. I've been mentally competent and strong and very aware all my life, would I answer no on this question? Even as a child in those facilities, I wasn't mentally unaware or incapable of knowing right and wrong and was fully aware of laws and had rather great situational awareness. 1st solution to any issue is acknowledging there is one and that's the reason I was able to leave that life behind and become independent of all of that early on. Also if I print this out and take it to pelican pawn which is my nearest FFL dealer, can I provide this filled out to pick up my blaster/gun?
    No do not bring up any question of your mental health to the FFL. The background check does not detect your past medical issues unless court ordéred. As far as i know.

This is what i suggest, talk to your father, your doctor, or anyone close to you, then decide if a firearm is right for you.
    I adopted 3 boys as babies, 2 have autism and now live in group homes. So i know your struggles and also know there are many levels of the spectrum.
    Also im serious about air rifles.

Good luck Bud

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2024
    Gonzales, LA
    Jesus, gotta do a hard pass on this one.
    Yall handle it men
    Thank
    No do not bring up any question of your mental health to the FFL. The background check does not detect your past medical issues unless court ordéred. As far as i know.

This is what i suggest, talk to your father, your doctor, or anyone close to you, then decide if a firearm is right for you.
    I adopted 3 boys as babies, 2 have autism and now live in group homes. So i know your struggles and also know there are many levels of the spectrum.
    Also im serious about air rifles.

Good luck Bud
    Thankyou for the advice, I am actively seeking info on this from all sides and every angle from each given side to craft the best way possible to make the best and most professionally accurate decision possible, thank you for your help.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom