Umbrella Insurance Policy

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Well, when looking for a product liability insurance policy, it was recommended that I could get a Umbrella Insurance Policy much cheaper, but the person helping me out is from out of state and not as familiar with our ass backwards Napoleonic Code.

Any way, does anybody have a recommendation for a good independent insurance agent or know of a good company to deal with for an Personal Umbrella Policy. My main concern is to protect my assets.

Thanks

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    I have an umbrella policy through state farm. The policy itself is not expensive, but the fact that you have to carry at least a certain amount of coverage across your vehicles and such can make it seem like more than it really is.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    State farm really is the way to go. I'm the only one of my friends that has state farm, and after seeing people I know get screwed around by just about every insurance company I can think of, and comparing that to the incredible ways state farm has taken care of me after wrecks(even when my not-on-policy girlfriend wrecked my camaro),and took care of my grandma when her house caught fire, I'd never even consider going to another insurer.

Last edited:

Paladin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Kenosha, WI
    You said
    Well, when looking for a product liability insurance policy
    , then later you said...
    Personal Umbrella Policy

I think you will find that State Farm will not cover "Product Liability" on it's personal umbrella policy. If you have some business activity you are trying to get coverage for, you will need a CGL policy (commercial general liability) with a CUP (commercial umbrella policy) on top.

If you are doing something business related out of your home, you will likely find that your home owners policy will exclude coverage for "business pursuits".

What "product" are you trying to get liability insurance for?

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    QUOTE: "our ass backwards Napoleonic Code"....................beltman

IANAL, but,

1) Our laws seem some better, some worse, today.

2) LA has a sota blended legal system, anyway.

3) The problem is not Napoleon's Code; it is our allowing our laws to be written by attorneys, for their own benefit.

leVieux

Last edited:

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Check out Chubb, they have a lot of options. If you qualify, check out USAA

Sent from my Cyberdyne Deadhand via Skynet

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    How did you set up your business? I did LLC, it wouldn't take much of a lawsuit to clean out my business' property and reserve funds but I know my person would be protected.

On the flip side it wouldn't take much for me to restart which I would imagine be the same for you.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Corp S. I am considering not putting my equipment in the name of the corporation and just losing out on the tax break benefit. Machines I have cost anywhere from $300-$2500. I have a industrial foot press, strap cutter, industrial leather sewing machine, and pull through belt edger.

Ashley is actually the one with the corporation, she really is the boss...

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Corp S. I am considering not putting my equipment in the name of the corporation and just losing out on the tax break benefit. Machines I have cost anywhere from $300-$2500. I have a industrial foot press, strap cutter, industrial leather sewing machine, and pull through belt edger.

Gotcha I didn't realize you went all in on the equipment. I was really interested in doing leather holsters awhile back but once I looked up how much a sewing machine to handle leather was I lost interest fast!

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA

Can the Corp buy the equipment from you?

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Can the Corp buy the equipment from you?

I am going to discuss everything with my CPA as soon as tax season is over. I intended this just to be a hobby when I had a couple months off work. I went all in, but my day job pays decent and I had a nest egg saved up. My initial investment in equipment was round 3k, but I have much more now. It was hobby for my hobby, just like my reloading room, at this point I am much closer to the break even point on my Leather room than my reloading room!

Right now I am just keeping records of everything I buy.

Praesul Presul

On Target.....Sometimes
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Western KY
    +1 with State Farm. They do require increased liability amounts for your vehicles. But in this state, it makes sense.

As a transplant to here, many would be surprised this is one of the reasons insurance is so high here. Kind of no everyone paying their fair share thing so lawyers always get involved and they want their piece of the pie.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    A personal liability umbrella is a good idea for everyone, but it isn't going to help your business situation. All umbrella policies require a fairly high minimum amount of underlying coverage. If you're worried about your liability situation then carrying the minimum underlying 250/500/100 shouldn't be a big deal. You should be close to there already.

For your business: your business policy should have 1,000,000 in liability coverage. Its not usually that much more than the lower limits. If you did a LLC then you are probably only risking the assets of the business (IANAL!) which shouldn't be all that great in your case.
    If the million in coverage isn't enough, or if some of your jobs require it, a CLUP (commercial umbrella) is another option. Same idea as the PLUP, it gives you an additional million (or multiples of) in coverage.

PS Thanks for the props for State Farm guys. If you need anything PM me...

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I have state farm car insurance already, homeowners is through an independent agent. I have pretty substantial coverage on my vehicles, way more than the state minimums.

The issue with my business is it is not my main source of income, we incorporated to separate business assets from our personal as one level of protection if for some reason a catastrophic belt failure is determined to be the cause of something a lawyer wants to sue us for. I talked to other leather workers and they had 1 million dollar policies for $3-500 a year, but the companies that offer that kind of small business craftsmen insurance sound like a broken record "We don't offer any policies in Louisiana"

Top Bottom