Under 21 carrying a pistol?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    there is no such thing as a private dealer.

you can buy from an individual.

yes you can have it in your vehicle.

and yes you have to be 21 to buy pistol ammo

All this.

Spanky is a little testy this morning. ;)

I am assuming by "private dealer" you mean an FFL, or gun store, Academy type place. Correct, you cannot buy from there.

you can buy from any resident of LA who does not possess an FFL or is selling a personal firearm.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    What I was getting at is that, from all that I have read and seen, the laws concern the dealer, not the individual. It is illegal for a *dealer* to transfer to a person under 21 a handgun. The law does not, however, say that a *person* under 21 is prohibited from purchasing a handgun from a dealer. They are merely limited by the restriction placed on the dealer.

Semantics, yes perhaps, but if you think of it as a dealer restriction and not an individual one, then it's easier for more folks to understand that it's legal for a 18, 19, or 20 year old to buy a handgun from an individual.

Last edited:

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    All this.

Spanky is a little testy this morning. ;)

I am assuming by "private dealer" you mean an FFL, or gun store, Academy type place. Correct, you cannot buy from there.

you can buy from any resident of LA who does not possess an FFL or is selling a personal firearm.

Not really. Plus his post said he "can buy from a private dealer." I'm sure he meant private seller but still. :p

I just wanted to remove any incorrect notions that "private dealers" operate at gun shows and he can go to a dealer table and buy a handgun. That seems to be a common misconception.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    What I was getting at is that, from all that I have read and seen, the laws concern the dealer, not the individual. It is illegal for a *dealer* to transfer to a person under 21 a handgun. The law does not, however, say that a *person* under 21 is prohibited from purchasing a handgun from a dealer. They are merely limited by the restriction placed on the dealer.

Semantics, yes perhaps, but if you think of it as a dealer restriction and not an individual one, then it's easier for more folks to understand that it's legal for a 18, 19, or 20 year old to buy a handgun from an individual.

true, and it is splitting hairs, but what he needs to know is that until he is 21, he can only procure a handgun from a private individual selling a personally owned firearm.

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    and yes you have to be 21 to buy pistol ammo[/QUOTE]

which is why you buy a semi-auto tommy gun, and bring that with you to explain that you need that 45 ACP for your rifle.....not the 1911 in your truck...

(And yes, I know about the Anty story, just did not put 2 and 2 together)

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    which is why you buy a semi-auto tommy gun, and bring that with you to explain that you need that 45 ACP for your rifle.....not the 1911 in your truck...

(And yes, I know about the Anty story, just did not put 2 and 2 together)
    I'm not entirely sure that would be a good idea.

Plus, it's still a "pistol caliber." ;)

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    I'm not entirely sure that would be a good idea.

Plus, it's still a "pistol caliber." ;)

Well, there are .308 chambered pistols, does that make that a pistol caliber as well then? and thus noone under 21 can buy .308?

There are pistols taht shoot 410....guess noone under 21 can go buy shotgun shells for a 410 shotgun now?

Spanky, I agree with you, it would not likely work, but lets look at this from a logical stand point. No round is a 'pistol' or 'rifle' caliber. It can be used in any firearm chambered for that round, rifle, or pistol. The designation of any round as 'pistol' ammo is BS imho, as is designating any round as 'rifle' ammo.

On that note though, he can always go get a .308 chambered pistol...or a judge...and buy the rifle rounds or shotgun shells as needed

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Well, there are .308 chambered pistols, does that make that a pistol caliber as well then? and thus noone under 21 can buy .308?

There are pistols taht shoot 410....guess noone under 21 can go buy shotgun shells for a 410 shotgun now?

Spanky, I agree with you, it would not likely work, but lets look at this from a logical stand point. No round is a 'pistol' or 'rifle' caliber. It can be used in any firearm chambered for that round, rifle, or pistol. The designation of any round as 'pistol' ammo is BS imho, as is designating any round as 'rifle' ammo.

On that note though, he can always go get a .308 chambered pistol...or a judge...and buy the rifle rounds or shotgun shells as needed

I think it's stupid too but no one can argue that a .308 is a rifle caliber and a .380 is a pistol caliber. They were designed that way and, thus, carry that designation. There is no changing it.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA

Actually, there is a difference in pistol or rifle rounds. Walmart will not sell <21 any rounds for a pistol. You have to tell them it's for a rifle.

CZowner07

XD>Glock but<CZ
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Saint Martinville/Lafayette
    I'm 20. I can posses a pistol and ammo, but I cant buy them...(kind of stupid if you ask me) I can purchaase a rifle or shotgun and the ammo. I dont see how ammo would be illegal for somoene undr 21 to posses, what would be the point of allowing them to posses a gun if they can have the ammo?

Top Bottom