Uninsured vehicle accident

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robertn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Fort Mill, SC
    I'm almost in the same boat as you. Someone hit my daughters car on LSUA campus and she got a campus police report. Called their insurance company and the driver(child) was not on the owners policy(parents) so they will not pay for damages. Now I'm out $500 and will wait to see if my insurance can collect the money back. Forwarded their insurance company letter to the campus police and they said they will keep an eye out for the car, not sure if they will ticket or not.

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    Your insurance company should file suit against that person and may do just that to recover their money. You still have your deductible though.

My wife got hit by a guy on Oct 31st at 10:45PM a few years before Hurricane Katrina. He gives his insurance card to the cop, the card has an expiration date of April 30th of the following year. We call his insurance company to set up a repair and are told the guy bought the policy the day of the accident and coverage started at midnight on Nov 1st. So we file with our insurance company and pay the $250 deductible and move on. Then 1 year after Katrina we get a check for $250.00 from our insurance company for our deductible. Seems they finally got paid from the suit they filed. So talk to your insurance agent and see if they are going after the guy, if they do you might get your deductible through their action.

You might want to look into your community's small claims court system. If they are deadbeats you'll never collect, but sometimes a judgement does get collected.

Last edited:

pjprokop

NRA Benefactor Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    I would go after the repair shop - they had exclusive control of the vehicle and it was damaged while in their care. The repair shop gets to go after the guy who ran into it.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I'm almost in the same boat as you. Someone hit my daughters car on LSUA campus and she got a campus police report. Called their insurance company and the driver(child) was not on the owners policy(parents) so they will not pay for damages. Now I'm out $500 and will wait to see if my insurance can collect the money back. Forwarded their insurance company letter to the campus police and they said they will keep an eye out for the car, not sure if they will ticket or not.

What would they ticket him for?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Hold off on the attorney if you have collision coverage. They will pursue for your money and theirs, and it won't cost you anything (other than being out of pocket for a while if you're lucky). In some cases they are unable to collect and they will notify you (he has nothing worth pursuing and just won't respond to your insurance carrier). Then you can take him to small claims court.

Uninsured motorist coverage only comes into play if you don't have collision. UM is primarily a medical coverage, to which you can add a rider to cover your vehicle (its dirt cheap usually so add it if you drop your collision). It acts similar to collision in some rare cases (they don't have insurance or don't have enough, and they are at fault).

Um... horse gone and barn burned down already, but... call the cops, call the cops, call the cops. I can tell you horror stories about people who didn't- suddenly more injured people than were in the accident for example...

( IANAL, but I am an insurance agent and deal with this crap much too often... if you don't like my advice I'll give you double your money back :) )

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    If other driver says "do we really need to call the police?", a solid answer is "dang I already called"

I rear ended a lady not too long ago and that is exactly what she said when she got out of the car. I just smiled and said, "No... No we do not." Well she called her husband and he told her to call the police. Damn husbands! I can't blame the fella though. I would have told my wife to call as well.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I was lucky enough to hear of people getting burned when I started driving.

I have had one instance where the guy backed into me at a gas station and didn't want me to call the police I promptly blocked his truck in saying I was just moving to clear the pumps up and I left my car there until the cops came.

I always tell people to call no matter what even if it's on private property. Also voice record if possible I'm not sure if it would be admissible but proof of them admitting it and the conversation with the officer etc sure can't hurt. All phones can usually have a voice recorder on them nowadays.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Most people don't understand it, that's why I threw that in.

Officers are often unwilling to write a full police report or ticket on private property. Try to get at least a incident report filed though. That will at least verify who was present and who was driving (many times driver and passenger will try to swap places before the police show up).

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Officers are often unwilling to write a full police report or ticket on private property. Try to get at least a incident report filed though.

Not necessarily.

Whether or not a state crash form is completed or just an in-house report depends upon the agency policy.

Correct. Some agencies allow it, some don't.

JR1572

velociraptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Greater New Orleans Area
    It is a bit late now and the OP is not clear but the way I read it the OP gave the vehicle to the shop to fix. In doing so there was a bailment created. Now the shop may say they are not responsible for loss theft or damage but that is not always the case. In this instance the damage was done while the vehicle was in the possession of the repair facility. They have a duty to exercise normal and reasonable care of the vehicle up to the point where the vehicle put back in control of the owner. Typically putting the keys in the person's hand signifies control of the vehicle.

So what the OP (and others in the future) should have done instead of accepting the problem is to pull the business into the matter since they typically have some liability. Call the police and get the business owner's insurance information also.

rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    I would go after the repair shop - they had exclusive control of the vehicle and it was damaged while in their care. The repair shop gets to go after the guy who ran into it.

It is a bit late now and the OP is not clear but the way I read it the OP gave the vehicle to the shop to fix. In doing so there was a bailment created. Now the shop may say they are not responsible for loss theft or damage but that is not always the case. In this instance the damage was done while the vehicle was in the possession of the repair facility. They have a duty to exercise normal and reasonable care of the vehicle up to the point where the vehicle put back in control of the owner. Typically putting the keys in the person's hand signifies control of the vehicle.

So what the OP (and others in the future) should have done instead of accepting the problem is to pull the business into the matter since they typically have some liability. Call the police and get the business owner's insurance information also.
    Absolutely correct. The car was still in the "care, custody and control" of the business.

cricht0n

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Zachary
    Absolutely correct. The car was still in the "care, custody and control" of the business.

Every car shop has to have insurance called a dealers lot policy. It provides coverage for any car on their property that is in their control. So yes, your insurance will most likely go after them for the reimbursement of your deductible (and their company will likely go after the other guy). Honestly it is almost always better to start with the other guy's insurance before you file on yours. Even if the your insurance company gets all their money back from the other guy, you will still get penalized when your policy comes up for renewal.

Also police have no authority to issue traffic tickets on private property. That's why they can only make an incident report in parking lots and such.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom