Upper help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wallstdevil

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    New Orleans
    Hi,

I'm got a stag lower as a trade, but i'm very new at this. I have been looking at different upper at del-ton,rra and stag. My questions are:
    1. What are pros/con of the light weight, mid length, and heavy barrels.
    2. A1 and A2
    3. Any pointer to look out when buying a upper would be great too

Thanks,
    Alan

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Hi,

I'm got a stag lower as a trade, but i'm very new at this. I have been looking at different upper at del-ton,rra and stag. My questions are:
    1. What are pros/con of the light weight, mid length, and heavy barrels.
    2. A1 and A2
    3. Any pointer to look out when buying a upper would be great too

Thanks,
    Alan

1) Lightwieght is just that, the barrel is a thinner profile, it is lighter and handier, but barrel is not as rigid as a heavy barrel. Mid length has a longer gas system, and is smoother and supposedly a tad more reliable than a carbine length gas system. also can fit a bayonet on like it was meant, unlike a 16" carbine upper. Heavy barrels are thicker and are heavier if toting around your rifle a while, but are more rigid. Generally speaking, the thicker the barrel, the longer it takes to head up during rapid fire.

2) a TRUE A1 upper has a fixed carry handle w/ only windage adjustable rear sight (w/ tool or bullet tip), Forward assist and no brass deflector. Most of the "A1" 's that are on the market nowadays are actually a C7 style upper, that are an A1 upper w/ a brass deflector. A2's have a finger adjustable for windage and elevation rear sight, brass deflector, and forward assist.

3) I personally like the A1 uppers, w/ either a 16" lightwieght barrel and standard CAR handguards, or a 20" lightwieght barrel and triangle handguards, due to the simplicity. Finding one in stock right now is going to be the tricky part.

Top Bottom